What kinds of cabins do you normally book?

Siora7777

I have been in every size up to JS. Inside for short cruises, but my preference is to have a window. Anything else is dependent on price.

I had a special occasion and a really good price for a JS. For the JS, I said, wow look at this huge wasted of space called a closet. Really, how much clothes can I bring? Had so much space and so little clothes.

Bathroom was nice. But at the end of the day, I still spent the same amount of time, and although I sat on the balcony, it is not worth the money. I don't know what the big deal is about extra space, when all I want to do is sleep and get dressed. :D

When I was young, with my parents I did inside and was fine with it - like we're never in the room, right? Then after I did balcony - I can never go back! First time I had balcony and saw dolphins in the wake I was hooked. Love seeing the port we are going into in the morning. Love breakfast on the balcony and in jammies.

Was in a Jr. Suite on another line before, but that's not necessary. If I ever go into a full size suite though, that scares me cuz I don't wanna get hooked!:eek:

Most of the time we do balcony, but we've done a suite once for a special occasion and we are doing a suite again for our upcoming cruise for our 5th wedding anniversary. To me, it boils down to how much time you spend on the ship or your room. Our Med cruise because that cruise was VERY port intensive so it some ways the bigger room was good because we were so tired after a long day at the port. Spent several meals in our room and went to the pool area once but it was very windy so we didn't stay long.

To day I downgraded from Deck 3, G-3572 Large OV Stateroom, to Deck 2, Q-2019 Interior Stateroom.

Since we rarely are in our cabin except to sleep, shower, or change clothes, we decided we'd rather have the extra money in our pocket rather than Royal's. Besides, it's more money for excursions, etc.

It's a 10 day cruise, so it'll be a good test. I don't consider it a big deal since we only had an OV anyway, and if the image of how the bed is placed in the cabin, the window is pretty useless anyway. One would have to stand on the bed to see out the window anyway.

I did an inside cabin on our Jan 15 western Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette, and just completed a Jan 16 eastern Caribbean cruise on the Reflection with a balcony. We are now booked on a Jan 17 cruise to the southern Caribbean in an Ocean View cabin on the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas.

I would do an inside cabin again in a heart beat. In fact, I asked my TA to check into switching to an inside cabin on the Serenade if they could be close to the others in our group. Unfortunately, the Inside Cabins directly across from our OV's we're in are already reserved.

There would have been a $235 net savings going to an inside cabin. Being retired and on a fixed income now, that's a fair amount of savings. But we are staying put. I still want to be around our fellow travelers. There were 4 insides available, 2 in the bow, and 2 at the stern.

I found I used the balcony very little on my last cruise. I would not object to another balcony in the future, but I don't need one to be happy on a cruise. I was in my cabin to 1) sleep, 2) shower, 3) change clothes. Don't need a balcony for that.

Also, I have a 24' long Travel Trailer. We put up to 10K miles on that trailer each year. In 2014 we put 7900+ miles on a cross country trip that took us from Virginia to Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Los Angeles, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois, Indianna, Michican, Ohio, WV and back home. We do all of our home football games, and many of the road games, with some of the same group we cruise with.

Maybe that's why the size of an inside cabin works for us. :D

Out of my previous 9 cruises, I've done 6 insides and 3 balconies. I mainly cruise solo so I'm driven by price. My next cruise is an inside because I figure I don't want to spend an additional $2,200 for a balcony ... However, my Feb 2017 Adventure cruise is a balcony. I booked early and got an amazing rate.

If money was no object, I'd like to try a suite but would probably stick with a balcony. I use my balcony heavily for eating, reading and just winding down with a glass of wine. An oceanview has never intrigued me but I would like to try a promenade one day.

Oceanview on Deck 2 or 3, depending on the ship. (Deck 3 on Radiance Class.)

The window versus inside is worth the extra cost to me. I've never felt the balcony was worth the extra money. I'd prefer to spend the extra $$ on excursions.

Why the lower decks? For one, it's cheaper. The higher in the ship you get, the more costly the cabin. Low/mid-ship has the least movement. Also, it's convenient - close to the gangway, the dining room, the centrum or promenade deck. It's admittedly FAR from the pool/Windjammer, but it's impossible to be close to everything and I don't see paying extra just to be closer to the pool.

I used to cruise annually, but that has slipped to about every three years due to economic reasons. As long as a cruise vacation remains something requiring years of scrimping and saving, I don't see upgrading to a balcony or a suite. Maybe...someday...but not in the foreseeable future.

It's all personal choice and preferences. Whatever works for you.

For us, we love sea days on the balcony - we will normally spend the entire afternoon there. I also love spending that 30 minutes of relaxing on the balcony while DW is prepping for the evening. I also love spending time on the balcony in the morning as we pull into port. So.. balconies it is!

I'd do an inside cabin on cruise with no sea days (Hawaii).

I'll spring for a JS if the price is decent.

We prefer booking balcony cabins but other than what we have already booked way back in the beginning of BOGO we might have to switch to OV cabins due to increased pricing. We will see what prices look like when the new sailings get releasec

We prefer booking balcony cabins but other than what we have already booked way back in the beginning of BOGO we might have to switch to OV cabins due to increased pricing. We will see what prices look like when the new sailings get releasec

Welcome back!

We have had 2 Ocean views and 3 balconies. On our last cruise on Adventure we were able to look at a Junior Suite of a person in our roll call and couldn't believe how much more space it had along with the walk in closet and bathtub! So on our next cruise we are booking a Junior Suite for the first time! :cool:

We've done 5 cruises and booked an inside cabin each time. On our very first cruise we were bumped up to an ocean view for no charge which was great. We didn't find out until we walked onto the ship and opened our door.

I'd love to book a balcony room just to see what it's like. I'm hoping that if we ever get to Alaska we will do a balcony. Otherwise we are just happy to be on the ship in an inside room.

Personally, I have never booked an interior cabin and probably never will, but I always though tis tip made sense for those that did have an interior and did NOT like that it was so dark. When going to bed for the night, just tune the TV to the channel that shows the bow of the ship and turn the volume way down. The cabin will get lighter as the sky/outside does in the morning...sort of a pseudo window if you will. For those who like the total darkness of an interior cabin...never mind! :D

Haven't cruised a lot yet ... once inside (on Deck 1) which we loved, once OV, 3 times balcony and once Junior Suite. I liked all of them. I usually choose the category based on what I think, for that particular ship/sailing, the best value it offers.

Our first cruise was in an ocean view. It was ok, but we really wanted a larger room and a balcony. On our second cruise, we had booked the smallest balcony room and when we arrived at the port, HAL upgraded us free of charge to their largest suite that wasn't a penthouse. It was a Neptune suite and we were hooked for all future cruises with HAL.

When we decided to try Royal, we booked an ocean view balcony and it was ok, but certainly not as large as what we were used to staying in. We booked a Junior Suite on the hump for our last cruise on the Allure and it was the perfect size for us. We like the larger balcony that included 2 loungers plus table and chairs for dining. This is the cabin we will book in the future.

The only "normally" in my booking pattern is "not a suite". We've traveled in Interior, Family Promenade, Oceanview, and Balcony.

I obviously prefer a balcony and we've done that about half the time, but I have no issue staying in a lower category if the price difference is large. Lately our family of 4 (kids are 9 and 7) has been tending to stay in connecting oceanview cabins as they often end up being close to the price of getting a single balcony cabin with all of us crammed in. The extra room, privacy, and dual bathrooms is wonderful to have.

For our Oasis cruise next month we have connecting Central Park View cabins. For two of those we payed the exact same price for 388 sqft of cabin space as we would have for 182 sqft of cabin space in a single oceanview balcony.

I'm cruising solo now but prior to this I would only book a balcony when cruising with friends and family. I'm cruising with NCL in September in a studio cabin so that should be interesting. Next February I booked a superior balcony with RCL. I really wanted a JS but again price was a factor since it's just me. When I finish school I may splurge and book a suite solo to see how I like it.

irzero, I agree with you on most of the points except for antisocial comment. :)

My DH is more than social, but his work requires him to be in contact with people all day long, so cruises for him a place to avoid crowds as strange as it sounds. He usually finds secluded space on outside promenade though. :)

I am computer programmer on the other hand and like to interact with people during my vacation... Outside of vacation we have large house where we spend most of the time. On our cruises it is opposite. Small staterooms and most of our time is spent outside.