locks

georgia1980

first cruise coming up in May, out of Jacksonville. So... do you lock luggage or not? If so, can it just be regular pad locks or???? Is it really necessary, as I will not have any valuables in it? Makeup, clothes, toiletries.... Jewely will be in carry on, though not much of that. And another : the room safe- how are those locked/unlocked??

first cruise coming up in May, out of Jacksonville. So... do you lock luggage or not? If so, can it just be regular pad locks or???? Is it really necessary, as I will not have any valuables in it? Makeup, clothes, toiletries.... Jewely will be in carry on, though not much of that. And another : the room safe- how are those locked/unlocked??

We never have locked luggage in 34 cruises

I locked my luggage for the first time on my last cruise (#17), and the luggage ended up outside my cabin with no locks... they were taken off at some point (customs or carnival security) and not even given back... People suggest zip ties. If they go in them you'll know and not lose your locks.

Edited by poison7fl

I locked my luggage for the first time on my last cruise (#17), and the luggage ended up outside my cabin with no locks... they were taken off at some point (customs or carnival security) and not even given back... People suggest zip ties. If they go in them you'll know and not lose your locks.

Good point and I should clarify my earlier response in that I don't put locks on at the cruise port. If I put my bag in the hall the last night I Ziptie it. Also on flights where I will be separated from my luggage. Easy for them to cut off if needed and I'm only out a couple of pennies. I've even had them remove my Ziptie and put a new one on when they were done looking.

Good point and I should clarify my earlier response in that I don't put locks on at the cruise port. If I put my bag in the hall the last night I Ziptie it. Also on flights where I will be separated from my luggage. Easy for them to cut off if needed and I'm only out a couple of pennies. I've even had them remove my Ziptie and put a new one on when they were done looking.

This is what we do also. We use zipties of a neon color. TSA can remove them, check the contents, put their letter saying they inspected the contents, and then they will ziptie it back, either with a black one or a white one. I also put a small pair of scissors in the outside pocket of my checked luggage so that I can cut the ziptie off when I get in the cabin/hotel room.

I remember reading on carnivals site somewhere that your not supposed to put locks on your luggage. you will either be asked to take them off or they will cut them off for TSA/Customs inspection. And a utility knife/razer blade is no match for a canvas soft sided suit case that 95% of people have these days.

Bull...if your stuff is not in your possession...it should be locked! You do not need TSA locks...not even for airlines! We use keyed Master locks for luggage. I know a determined person could still break in, but most thiefs are looking for easy access.

Of course, just because it's locked doesn't mean valuables should be in there.

I lock because I don't want someone putting something IN my luggage....that can happen!

LOCK YOUR BAGS!

Locking luggage through transport is like putting a neon sign on your bag saying "valuables, please steal me".

You should be carrying on medications, jewelry, electronics, id papers.

Totally disagree with this.

I lock my luggage, not because there is anything valuable, but because I don't want some strangers grubby hands going through my things. I may not have spent a lot of money on my clothes and shoes, but they are mine and I happen to like them.

If 2 pieces of luggage are next to each and one is locked and one is unlocked, which is a thief going to first?

Edited by crzndeb

I lock my luggage, not because there is anything valuable, but because I don't want some strangers grubby hands going through my things. I may not have spent a lot of money on my clothes and shoes, but they are mine and I happen to like them.

If 2 pieces of luggage are next to each and one is locked and one is unlocked, which is a thief going to first?

I totally agree with what you say. Not clear how it's become fact on here that locked luggage means something valuable or otherwise is in there, but then again this is Cruise Critic....We've always locked our luggage on all of our cruises, not because of protecting valuables, but to help, and I stress help prevent the suitcases from opening inadvertently....not a guarantee, not an absolute....just something to help. Our clothes are not all that valuable, but I prefer to have them when traveling...if I can...

Self assist, we don't lock our luggage. Two carry-on's, two garment bags, one back pack, and an empty tote for the goodies we may purchase on the trip.

Shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, bathing suit, etc. = carry-on

Dress slacks/shirts, belt, socks, dress shoes = garment bag

Toiletry kits, jewelry, wallets, etc. = back pack

Nothing yet = empty tote bag

If I were a thief, I would just grab the bag and take it to a different location and open it. A lock or lack thereof would make no difference.

Did you complain about this? I would have went to guest services and not left until they either produced my locks or put $25 OBC on my account as that is what my pair of locks cost. It's my right to lock my luggage, and no where does it say they can "steal" my locks for any reason.

...my luggage is ALWAYS locked when not in my possession. I don't put jewelry in there ... but I consider my CLOTHES to be "Valuables" --- Anyone who disagrees obviously doesn't buy nice clothes, my Ralph Lauren shirts are $50 each and the Tommy Bahamma ones are $100 each. The replacement cost of my cruise attire if my suitcase were lost would easily be a couple thousand dollars ... so YES, I will be locking it when it's not in my possession.

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

PS - 11 days till we leave on the PRIDE :D:cool:

I remember reading on carnivals site somewhere that your not supposed to put locks on your luggage. you will either be asked to take them off or they will cut them off for TSA/Customs inspection. And a utility knife/razer blade is no match for a canvas soft sided suit case that 95% of people have these days.

TSA has no presence at the cruise ports.

You will find Customs, Homeland Security and Dept. of Agriculture.

Edited by lizardhowson