Soda machines? Summit

Treacher1

Does the Summit have the soda machines with the endless variety of flavor combinations like the sister line Royal Caribbean? I bought the non alcoholic beverage package and always enjoyed the machines on Royal - hoping the same is offered on Summit.

Celebrity does not have soda machines and most bars do not have soda guns. Soda will come in cans and you can have them opened or sealed to take back to your cabin. Remember that your soda package is not good for the cans in your mini fridge.

Does the Summit have the soda machines with the endless variety of flavor combinations like the sister line Royal Caribbean? I bought the non alcoholic beverage package and always enjoyed the machines on Royal - hoping the same is offered on Summit.

Summit is going in to drydock later this month, perhaps they will put them in.

Summit is going in to drydock later this month, perhaps they will put them in.

Unlikely given the latest X tendencies to cut things rather then add things. And if they did have soda machines they would probably charge $10 per glass unless you had the Premium Drink package :D We have been wondering when they will start charging for "premium" ice tea, "premium lemonade," etc.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The last thing I want to see on a cruise ship is vending machines. What's next condom dispensers in the men's room?

Or pregnancy tests sold in the women's lounge?

I have seen soda machines in the employees lounge.

Or pregnancy tests sold in the women's lounge?

I have seen soda machines in the employees lounge.

That's where they belong. I associate vending machines with work. That's why I don't want to see them on a cruise ship. Even hotels have gotten away from using them and I don't book luxury hotel accommodations. I don't get so thirsty that I can't wait my turn at the bar or for someone to take my drink order. Vending machines are fine at rest stops but I want to be served when on vacation.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I was on RC last year and loved the soda machines. I didn't have to wait for bar tender to serve me. They didn't charge for glass and it came with the regular soda package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We think RC is one step away from turning their Lido into a real Automat with no human contact :). We used to cruise that line quite often, but stopped doing business with them when they shelved quality/service in favor of large sardine cans (oops, mean Mega ships). Only RC can put in labor saving devices (like automatic bar tenders) and market it as a plus. Always wondered what their "bionic bar" would do if you asked, "shaken..not stirred."

Hank

I think some of you are getting a little carried away here...

We're just talking about self-service dispensers for soda...NOT "vending machines"...

Every cruise ship I've been on has self-service taps for various drinks--iced tea, juice, fruit punch--up in the Buffet...

All this really would be is the same for soft drinks. I am fairly sure these wouldn't be all over the ship...but, in the buffet or similar locations?

Fast food establishments have mostly all gone to some form of self service on soft drinks...They used to fill the cup for you behind the counter and hand it to you. Now they just hand you a cup and you go fill it yourself--as often as you like. Do you know why? They did a study and found that the employee time it took for the minimum wage fast food worker to put ice in a cup, then stand there over the machine and fill the cup, wait for the "fizz" to go down, then top it off cost several times more in labor cost than the actual soda (which only costs them pennies a glass). They were much better off allowing you to fill your own--and help yourself to as much as you want.

For the cruise line, their labor cost is lower, but they are selling "all you can drink" packages anyway. Their limiting factor is the number of bar waiters and bartenders they can carry...These guys are very busy now with all of the drink package and have more to do then constantly refill cups of Coke for your kids...Allowing them...and you...to just get your own soda is more convenient for everyone...

And those machines are great--they allow you to get almost any configuration of soft drink you want. And having them WON'T preclude you from getting your drink from the bar waiter or bartender. In fact, it will free up their time so they can get you your drink quicker.

The last thing I want to see on a cruise ship is vending machines. What's next condom dispensers in the men's room?

Might not be a bad idea. ;) According to the CDC, in some instances the rates of STD infection for people over 65 rivals that of people in their 20s. Who said the love boat was a fantasy show?

http://www.mysuncoast.com/health/sexually-active-seniors-facing-increased-risk-of-stds/article_e0b4b284-ae26-11e4-b72f-3b65d1ef5ff3.html

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I always purchase the soda package and would love the soda machines. I almost switched to RC just for these machines. I don't understand why they would be a bigger health hazard than the self serve tea, water, juice that they have now?? I hate finding a bar and waiting in line, handing over the card, signing a receipt, just to get a soda refill.

We think RC is one step away from turning their Lido into a real Automat with no human contact :). We used to cruise that line quite often, but stopped doing business with them when they shelved quality/service in favor of large sardine cans (oops, mean Mega ships). Only RC can put in labor saving devices (like automatic bar tenders) and market it as a plus. Always wondered what their "bionic bar" would do if you asked, "shaken..not stirred."

Hank

That's what I'm afraid of as well. I can see having them on Royal Caribbean and NCL mall of the sea type ships but can't see how they would fit in on cruise lines like Celebrity or Princess unless they were contained to the buffet area. I'm assuming a can would come out but others are describing a fountain type dispenser like they have in the fast food chains.

Might not be a bad idea. ;) According to the CDC, in some instances the rates of STD infection for people over 65 rivals that of people in their 20s. Who said the love boat was a fantasy show?

http://www.mysuncoast.com/health/sexually-active-seniors-facing-increased-risk-of-stds/article_e0b4b284-ae26-11e4-b72f-3b65d1ef5ff3.html

There was a survey a few years ago that found that 1/3 of people do the nasty before the ship leaves the dock.

That's what I'm afraid of as well. I can see having them on Royal Caribbean and NCL mall of the sea type ships but can't see how they would fit in on cruise lines like Celebrity or Princess unless they were contained to the buffet area. I'm assuming a can would come out but others are describing a fountain type dispenser like they have in the fast food chains.

They have them at the Wendy's and the Burger King and at the AMC Cineplex near me...it's not a vending machine that dispenses cans..What it is would be a dispenser with a touch screen...you touch the icons, first for, say diet drinks or sugar drinks...say you choose diet, it then gives you a choice of several diet sodas...say you pick Coke Zero...it then gives you a choice of several flavors--Cherry, Strawberry, Lemon, vanilla, etc. choose one, then fill your cup..

The result is getting a choice of over a hundred different drinks.

I always purchase the soda package and would love the soda machines. I almost switched to RC just for these machines. I don't understand why they would be a bigger health hazard than the self serve tea, water, juice that they have now?? I hate finding a bar and waiting in line, handing over the card, signing a receipt, just to get a soda refill.

In the buffet you are supposed to use a fresh glass each time and not fill bottles that may inadvertently (or inconsiderately in some folks' deliberate actions) touch the rim to the spout.

With the RCCL self-serve machines you need to use the cup that comes with the package, as it has a chip in it to babysit you (has it been 5 minutes? Is it for this cruise?). That brings an increased chance of disease being spread.

I hate using the Freestyle machines at restaurants, personally. There's no multitasking (if you want a Coke and I want a Diet, we can both fill at In-N-Out but not Wendy's), the touchscreen confuses some guests, the number of options cause paralysis in other guests, and the number of presses to just get a Coke is obnoxious in my opinion. I'd hate to be a restaurant owner with one too, it uses cartridges instead of the normal bag-in-box, which look like printer ink cartridges and I'd wager are more expensive than the regular soda.

I hate using the Freestyle machines at restaurants, personally. There's no multitasking (if you want a Coke and I want a Diet, we can both fill at In-N-Out but not Wendy's), the touchscreen confuses some guests, the number of options cause paralysis in other guests, and the number of presses to just get a Coke is obnoxious in my opinion. I'd hate to be a restaurant owner with one too, it uses cartridges instead of the normal bag-in-box, which look like printer ink cartridges and I'd wager are more expensive than the regular soda.

I always get stuck behind the kid who holds up the line by conducting a science experiment mixing all of the flavors together.