Taking food off the ship

mama Metz

I have a daughter who is vegetarian. When we take excursions in both Grand Cayman (stingray city/snorkling) and Cozumel (Chichen Itza), can we take food for snacks with us? Protein bar/fruit?

Yes, if sealed pre-packaged food. No, if not.

No fresh fruit or vegetables are allowed to leave the ship. They do have dogs on the piers (especially in Cozumel) that are sniffing for it. People think they are drug dogs but they are really fruit dogs. You can take packaged stuff like granola bars, boxes of cereal, candy bars.

Just to add these are not cruise line rules, but those of the countries you are visiting. It is all about keeping potential diseases out which is why pre-packaged sealed items are allowed off the ship.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I always make a 'picnic bag' for my day at port, with sandwiches, bakery, from the ship, plus yogurts, juices, canned sodas, bottled water, and other sealed food (cookies, snacks). I have never tried it with fruits.

Edited by Pipo

I always make a 'picnic bag' for my day at port, with sandwiches, bakery, from the ship, plus yogurts, juices, canned sodas, bottled water, and other sealed food (cookies, snacks). I have never tried it with fruits.

Sandwiches are not permitted in many ports. You are fortunate the dogs haven't sniffed you out as yet. Next time, you may be spending more time in that country than you'd planned and leaving with less money. Prepackaged ONLY.

What about bringing food on the ship in the first place? My Dad is diabetic, and he needs to eat little and often, so I'd like to take a supply of granola bars or similar so he has some to take on excursions.

Can I get these things on board? What sealed biscuits/bars are there on the ship? (I've cruised a few times but can't remember seeing these things on board).

If not, can I take some on board in my suitcase from FLL?

:confused:

What about bringing food on the ship in the first place? My Dad is diabetic, and he needs to eat little and often, so I'd like to take a supply of granola bars or similar so he has some to take on excursions.

Can I get these things on board? What sealed biscuits/bars are there on the ship? (I've cruised a few times but can't remember seeing these things on board).

If not, can I take some on board in my suitcase from FLL?

:confused:

You may bring factory sealed food items onto the ship on embarkation.

What about bringing food on the ship in the first place? My Dad is diabetic, and he needs to eat little and often, so I'd like to take a supply of granola bars or similar so he has some to take on excursions....

No problem taking sealed, packaged foods onboard.

Why? It's not permitted.

Why? It's not permitted.

It is not permitted due to very generic laws that prohibit the entrance of meats and agricultural products. But we all know that cruise food has a very high quality standard, and I won't cause a pandemic crisis for bringing two sandwiches to land that only myself will eat.

But I totally comply with fruits and vegetables, I never take them to shore.

It is not permitted due to very generic laws that prohibit the entrance of meats and agricultural products. But we all know that cruise food has a very high quality standard, and I won't cause a pandemic crisis for bringing two sandwiches to land that only myself will eat.

If they find it, they will take it away from you. Have a plan B just in case. If they are anything like Canada/US border security, they will likely not fine you, unless you are being difficult. Most/All incoming inspections have a very low risk tolerance - they do not take the quality of the meat into account when making a decision - if it's prohibited, it's prohibited. For me - if they "catch" me at my home border - they send me home. On a cruise? - not sure I want to find out what the consequences are.

I want to reinforce what others have said, having just visited Cozumel. There were dogs at the port entrance and those with fruit were stopped and items confiscated.

I didn't hang around to find out whether they were fined.

Best practice is not to take food from the ship into the ports you are visiting. It is very tempting, I see many people load their bags from the Windjammer. Not worth it IMO.

If you are ever in Canada for more than a day, take a look at a program on Rogers Cable called Canadian Border Patrol (or something similar). It is a half hour program showing what people try to bring into Canada. A lot of it is food, and it is at least confiscated.

When I was in Canada in December there was also a version of it based in Australia. On of the episodes showe someone trying to bring in something considered a delicacy in Asia, very expensive. He was fined and given the opportunity to ship it back to his home country at his own expense, or allow it to be destroyed.

Edited by richwmn

They are clear that prepackaged foods only should be taken from the ship. Why is it that there are always people that feel the rules don't apply to them?

I find it sad that this is the state of our world today. People have no regard for anyone but themselves and what they want

What about prepackaged fruit like the kind you get at McDonalds? Would that be allowed because it is prepackaged, or is it no fruit at all?

have you seen the interior of those?! many times they have insects and other undesirables sealed in there. NO fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy or meat.

In some places they will fine you if they find those sandwiches. You willing to take that chance?

It is amazing to me what they will stop you with. We had coffees on one cruise in hand as we were disembarking, they made us toss them. Food that is not pre-packaged is not allowed.

Edited by akcruz