Luminae

cruiseluvva

Luminae is open for lunch on embarkation day. Once it was not and they sent us to Bistro on 5 (no charge).

You will love Luminae! It is just not the food but the service is wonderful and the staff has been amazing on each ship.

Enjoy your cruise and your Sky Suite!

Thank you all very much for the info on Luminae. We are sailing on the Constellation in six days, will have a sky suite and are looking forward to enjoying Luminae. I have one additional question. A few of you have mentioned that you can order off of the MDR menu in Luminae. In order to do this, do you request an MDR menu from your server?

Not necessary (we never asked, they never provided).....if husband did not care for what was on Lumenae menu, the waiter, whom we had gotten to know and ususally served us, could recite what was available from the MDR.

I never saw a MDR menu available nor shown to anyone else while in Lumenae, just my experience. You can always go by the MDR and peruse the menu yourself outside the doors, before you go to lumenae.....very close by.

I came to know at breakfast that if I asked for a bowl of plain yogurt, it would come to me. Not sure if it was technically on another menu, just probably was in the galley and used for parfaits etc. and I could have a plain bowl if I asked to go with my fruit.

Do not fret. It is easy and you will have a marvelous time.

This is only valid for RS and above. OP is in a Sky Suite so does not get this benefit, unless it has changed in the last month.

RS and above get this as part of their free speciality restaurants. CS and Sky can use Bistro on pert days when Luminae is closed. Celebrity Cruises posted on this board on 18th November last year -I can remember the thread title but I do have a screenshot of the posting which will go with me next week - confirmed this was available to "Suite Class guests"

Several members have confirmed on the boards that this is happening.

I asked our Luminae waiter to see an MDR menu and he provided it. Not a big deal. Also, we were Sky Suite in November, 2015 and Bistro on 5 was free on port days for us. We didn't even know it was a benefit when we did it., just wanted to try something different.

On Reflection this past November, our waiter in Luminae brought both the MDR and Luminae menus to us every night at dinner- we never had to ask after the first night. We ordered anything we wanted from either menu including mixed selections. Everything arrived at the same time. Service was outstanding.

Honestly, the option of the main dining room menu should really be used for when there isn't anything one likes on the Luminae menu. If too many people do this regularly we can be assured that service will suffer and they will soon decide to eliminate this option.

Honestly, the option of the main dining room menu should really be used for when there isn't anything one likes on the Luminae menu. If too many people do this regularly we can be assured that service will suffer and they will soon decide to eliminate this option.

That's like saying if people keep ordering multiple entree's they will take that option away, too. The dishes all come from the same kitchen, it doesn't matter to them what is ordered.

I am a strict vegetarian; I assume - perhaps hopefully - there will be plenty of choice on the various menus and not just the obligatory one vegetarian dish per course?

Assuming you are referencing the Luminae menu there are only four main courses featured each night which why it is important to be able to orders other items. Also assuming fish seafood in not within your diet you will only have one official choice on the menu. There was always one vegetarian choice.

That's like saying if people keep ordering multiple entree's they will take that option away, too. The dishes all come from the same kitchen, it doesn't matter to them what is ordered.

I do not think it is the same kitchen, but it is close and should not be an issue. They will be happy to make you what you want or get it from the MDR area next door.

Think about it. The Luminae menu is very good, but has limited choices. Why would Celebrity want to force people into strictly making a choice from a selection that has far less items on it than the MDR menu? Or even encourage people to dine in the MDR if they wanted those menu items. No way they would not allow Luminae guests to order Ceasar salad, escargot, or shrimp cocktails. IMO that would not total nonsense

Ma Bell, have you actually experienced the Luminae? Your response is logical, but seem more driven from theory than from actual experience.

My wife and I loved the Luminae experience, but if I had to order strictly off that menu everyday it would be a major disappointment. I have always valued the escargot experience on Celebrity. I would even guess that no one has every taken a 14 day cruise and only ordered strictly from the printed Luminae menu on all 14 days.

Yes I have and will be back for 24 days in April. If it's not overdone it's not going to be a problem. It's like anything else here on Cruise Critic. People tell everyone this is what they should do and they then assume that they should order whatever they want, whenever they want and it gets out of hand.

There's a reason Luminae has a menu and also a reason it's a bit more limited. Product quality and preparation that takes a little longer should equal a better dining experience.

Running around the whole kitchen for special requests for everyone would definitely affect service levels. Ordering items from the everyday menu in the MDR is the easiest for them to accommodate.

Edited by Ma Bell

I've had four weeks in Luminae, and the fifth is next week.

If "everyone" is ordering off the MDR menu, the problem is not the passengers, it is the Luminae menu; people want to eat what they like (and I can't think of one restaurant in NYC that serves a menu as limited as Luminae's - people just wouldn't go). I think Celebrity understands that, and they have been gracious in accommodating passengers. Perhaps the solution was to add more waiters to the restaurant than originally planned. With few exceptions, I haven't heard complaints about the service in the last few months. It seems like they have figured this out.

Yes I have and will be back for 24 days in April. If it's not overdone it's not going to be a problem. It's like anything else here on Cruise Critic. People tell everyone this is what they should do and they then assume that they should order whatever they want, whenever they want and it gets out of hand.

There's a reason Luminae has a menu and also a reason it's a bit more limited. Product quality and preparation that takes a little longer should equal a better dining experience.

Running around the whole kitchen for special requests for everyone would definitely affect service levels. Ordering items from the everyday menu in the MDR is the easiest for them to accommodate.

The ONE thing you are correct about is people on CC going on and on about things they have no idea about, like thinking too many people ordering off the MDR menu is going to change a corporate policy.....:rolleyes:

The ONE thing you are correct about is people on CC going on and on about things they have no idea about, like thinking too many people ordering off the MDR menu is going to change a corporate policy.....:rolleyes:

You must be right Joe since you are the Sherrif. I know nothing.

In defense of MaBell, she is right. If Celebrity sees a constant pattern of food orders, such as those passengers dining in Luminae, and repeatedly ordering off the MDR menu, there MAY be a change.

Celebrity in past years, has instituted new programs, only to find that passengers are not that receptive to the new change, and then eliminated that program. I wouldn't want to see this for Luminae.

I for one, enjoy Luminae. I like the quiet atmosphere, good service, and unique menus.

Can I ask another question please? Since booking 2 days ago, the price has dropped quite a bit! I know some lines will drop the price if the passenger notices and contacts them. Does Celebrity do this?

I believe that you will have booked during the period Celebrity UK were/are[?] offering a "best offer guarantee" until toe end of 2016. Still jetlagged from our last cruise so cannot recall the details. If you booked directly with Celebrity, it would be worth asking them if you qualify.

Thank you all very much for the info on Luminae. We are sailing on the Constellation in six days, will have a sky suite and are looking forward to enjoying Luminae. I have one additional question. A few of you have mentioned that you can order off of the MDR menu in Luminae. In order to do this, do you request an MDR menu from your server?

We had them bring us both menus every night.

I am a strict vegetarian; I assume - perhaps hopefully - there will be plenty of choice on the various menus and not just the obligatory one vegetarian dish per course?

We had a conversation with the waiting staff in Luminae one night about how we fancied a curry and they said what sort, we'll get the chef to make you one tomorrow, which they did and it was lovely (envious looks from other tables). If you are vegetarian just tell them and I think you will find they will be more accommodating than just the one option each night. It's a small kitchen with everything made to order so with notice they can do pretty much anything. Enjoy!

We had a conversation with the waiting staff in Luminae one night about how we fancied a curry and they said what sort, we'll get the chef to make you one tomorrow, which they did and it was lovely (envious looks from other tables). If you are vegetarian just tell them and I think you will find they will be more accommodating than just the one option each night. It's a small kitchen with everything made to order so with notice they can do pretty much anything. Enjoy!

Really, they have their own small kitchen just for Luminae? That really surprises me, where is it?

This is true, when they know ahead they will do what they can to accommodate.