Luminae

cruiseluvva

The ONE thing you are correct about is people on CC going on and on about things they have no idea about, like thinking too many people ordering off the MDR menu is going to change a corporate policy.....:rolleyes:

It's surprising you could figure out what the problem is with people trying to cash out non-refundable credit but you can't imagine the "possibility" of this being a problem.

Edited by Ma Bell

My wife and I loved the Luminae experience, but if I had to order strictly off that menu everyday it would be a major disappointment. I have always valued the escargot experience on Celebrity. I would even guess that no one has every taken a 14 day cruise and only ordered strictly from the printed Luminae menu on all 14 days.

We were on a 14 day cruise on Reflection in October and ordered off the Luminae menu every day. Sometimes we would request that they change sauces for an entree or substitute different vegetables and they were happy to do this. We were never disappointed. :)

So, it's an arm' s length away? Or two? Doesn't seem like something they can't

Do.

It's just my opinion based on my own experience on Celebrity ships and my own knowledge of how they do things. I certainly hope it doesn't come to that but I wouldn't be surprised. As I said, if it's not abused it won't be a problem.

Some passengers are a lot more low-maintenance than others and hopefully that balances things out.

Edited by Ma Bell

We had a conversation with the waiting staff in Luminae one night about how we fancied a curry and they said what sort, we'll get the chef to make you one tomorrow, which they did and it was lovely (envious looks from other tables). If you are vegetarian just tell them and I think you will find they will be more accommodating than just the one option each night. It's a small kitchen with everything made to order so with notice they can do pretty much anything. Enjoy!

Thank you, that sounds much more like we are used to in Cunard's Queen's Grill, which is normally where we cruise. They advertise that if they have the ingredients on board, they'll cook it for you - with a few hours notice of course.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Thank you, that sounds much more like we are used to in Cunard's Queen's Grill, which is normally where we cruise. They advertise that if they have the ingredients on board, they'll cook it for you - with a few hours notice of course.

Good service is about staff being keen to ensure everyone is well looked after AND cruisers showing good manners by being reasonable in their requests. We tend to do exactly as you say and if we want something different or extra then we ask in advance...Staff can plan accordingly, we get what we want....We have had different options served to us in the MDR, in suite and in specialities but always by arrangement.

Have to say we do find the Luminae menu quite limited and on our last cruise we looked at the Luminae menu after breakfast and then decided to either go with it or choose one of the specialities...(RS, unlimited speciality dining included). If we had not had that option we would have requested some MDR meals or changes to their offerings....

I am surprised that Luminae hasn't come out with its own version of 2/3 available everyday options....If you have a decent steak, piece of fish and poultry item available you can usually keep most people happy!

I'm probably in the minority but to me, Luminae was a letdown based on my perceived expectations. We ate their 5 times and were always kept waiting for a pre-booked table aside from the embarkation lunch. We were always sat around tables that had not been cleared or old napkins etc.

The food was OK, quite good infact. But then with only 8 or 9 options it should be superb.

The service staff just seem to be running around like headless chickens and not acting as a team. Still have no idea who the Matre'd is as he never came and introduced himself. It was painful to see the sommelier having to skip to Rendevous to get a coffee as well.

Maybe some have got the right impression, they are trying to be all things to all people and struggling as a result. Only other example I could give was when we ate in Qsine and experienced superb service. The team were a team and the manager's eye was always looking over tables. I pictured him as a conductor overlooking his well trained orchestra of servers. the difference between the two venues, service related,was like night and day. I do recall seeing the service team sat around the big table having an after hours talk with said manager in Qsine on the night they had an outside pool deck party and we noticed through the window. He definitely had that place functioning like clockwork.

It won't stop me booking a suite in future, but it was painful to see what could be a great venue/concept struggle in so many ways. I also couldn't help but wonder why they wanted fixed table times, i.e 7.30/8pm/8.30 when making a reservation and then you have 3 or 4 tables all being sat down together creating bottlenecks. Staggered system would probably be much easier to manage for the serving team. I asked for 8.15 and was told it was 8pm or 8.30.

I'm probably in the minority but to me, Luminae was a letdown based on my perceived expectations. We ate their 5 times and were always kept waiting for a pre-booked table aside from the embarkation lunch. We were always sat around tables that had not been cleared or old napkins etc.

The food was OK, quite good infact. But then with only 8 or 9 options it should be superb.

The service staff just seem to be running around like headless chickens and not acting as a team. Still have no idea who the Matre'd is as he never came and introduced himself. It was painful to see the sommelier having to skip to Rendevous to get a coffee as well.

Maybe some have got the right impression, they are trying to be all things to all people and struggling as a result. Only other example I could give was when we ate in Qsine and experienced superb service. The team were a team and the manager's eye was always looking over tables. I pictured him as a conductor overlooking his well trained orchestra of servers. the difference between the two venues, service related,was like night and day. I do recall seeing the service team sat around the big table having an after hours talk with said manager in Qsine on the night they had an outside pool deck party and we noticed through the window. He definitely had that place functioning like clockwork.

It won't stop me booking a suite in future, but it was painful to see what could be a great venue/concept struggle in so many ways. I also couldn't help but wonder why they wanted fixed table times, i.e 7.30/8pm/8.30 when making a reservation and then you have 3 or 4 tables all being sat down together creating bottlenecks. Staggered system would probably be much easier to manage for the serving team. I asked for 8.15 and was told it was 8pm or 8.30.

Sorry that you had such a bad experience with Luminae.

Maybe we just got lucky because our experiences with Luminae have been the exact opposite of yours.

We never had to pre-book a fixed time but just showed up whenever we got hungry. We were usually seated immediately, but were never kept waiting for a table more than just a few minutes.

The service was excellent. Our impression was that they were very eager to make everyone happy. They even encouraged us to order off-menu items if we wished, and made substitutions with no problem, even offering suggestions of other options that were available.

I think because the Luminae dining room is small and there are only a limited number of items on the menu for each meal, it makes it easier for them to offer more personalized service there than in the larger dining venues.

The entire concept of Luminae, as explained to us, was to provide suite guests a more personalized and upscale dining experience than what was available on the ships previously.

It would hardly be "personalized" if they limited you exclusively to the items on that very limited menu.

Edited by varoo

Just wanted to say how much we enjoy Luminae. The staff, the food the room, all of it. I have to agree with MaBell. We feel Luminae is a "good thing" and would not like to see it diminish due to using two menus. On a 11 night we never felt there was something we could not eat. I do not eat meat and they were aware of that on the first night and always asked if there was something I would like. I mentioned there was no pasta on the menu and behold the next night I had an amazing pasta dish!:eek: They do try and make everyone happy.

The staff, in Lumina, on the Constellation and The Summit were the best ever!

Looking forward to Luminae on The Equinox.

Happy Sailing!

We were on a 14 day cruise on Reflection in October and ordered off the Luminae menu every day. Sometimes we would request that they change sauces for an entree or substitute different vegetables and they were happy to do this. We were never disappointed. :)

I assume you meant only off the Luminae menu. You better stop ordering those special sauces or different vegetable or you might be accused of slowing down service. :)

As I said I have to have escargot or the Ceasar salad a few times on every Celebrity cruise and even the ice cream from the MDR menu especially if it is Butter Pecan.

Good to hear you enjoyed it.

I assume you meant only off the Luminae menu. You better stop ordering those special sauces or different vegetable or you might be accused of slowing down service. :)

As I said I have to have escargot or the Ceasar salad a few times on every Celebrity cruise and even the ice cream from the MDR menu especially if it is Butter Pecan.

Good to hear you enjoyed it.

I'm sorry I ever made the comment. It seems no one really reads what is said and always has to take it to the extreme and misinterpret was is said. My only concern was what could "possibly" happen if people go overboard. It's a valid concern.

I'm sorry I ever made the comment. It seems no one really reads what is said and always has to take it to the extreme and misinterpret was is said. My only concern was what could "possibly" happen if people go overboard. It's a valid concern.

You mean my :) doesn't give me license to say stupid things? :):)

We absolutely loved Luminae last fall. We were on a two week cruise over Thanksgiving and on some sea days we ate all three meals there.

I will agree that there are not a lot of salads offered. No problem. Some days at lunch I just wanted a salad with some grilled chicken and a few other additions. They didn't blink an eye. Got a fresh mixed lettuce salad with everything I wanted. Husband likes the Caesar salad made fresh at Tuscan Grill. Boom. Got it. Every single night.

I asked for some boiled shrimp on my dinner side salad one night. Got it. Mmm.

We like broccoli and like it cooked soft, not crunchy. We got that, and green beans, and sautéed spinach -- whenever we wanted a bit more green on our plate.

We always found one of the 4 offerings just fine. Our waiter was very good and completely described them to us. A couple times we were able to get a SMALL serving (maybe 1/3 size) of an entree or side dish just to taste.

We loved Blu for many years but we find this better. And the service is fabulous.

Best thing Celebrity has done in a long time, in my opinion.

I wanted to take our waiter Rakesh (Eclipse) home with me, along with Maggie (the sommelier). He made dinner special and she came up with the perfect wines both on our premium package and off the package (worth spending a few dollars more). I can't say I've remembered the names of our wait staff after a few weeks and I still remember these two in particular and hope they're on board again when we cruise next.

Guess Luminae service etc. may vary depending on ship, because during our Luminae experience on Silhouette my husband and I commented about how all the servers functioned like a well oiled machine or dance group performing a well choreographed ballet. They were fantastic and we knew the Maitre d' from the moment we first walked in.

Wonder which ship had the poor performance livingasia mentioned above?

I wanted to take our waiter Rakesh (Eclipse) home with me, along with Maggie (the sommelier). He made dinner special and she came up with the perfect wines both on our premium package and off the package (worth spending a few dollars more). I can't say I've remembered the names of our wait staff after a few weeks and I still remember these two in particular and hope they're on board again when we cruise next.

We too loved Rakesh and Maggie and the whole team on that ship. Nevena (sp?) and Natalie even took care of us when they saw us other places on the ship. They are the reason we have booked the exact same cruise this year.

Edited by Kylomom

Guess Luminae service etc. may vary depending on ship, because during our Luminae experience on Silhouette my husband and I commented about how all the servers functioned like a well oiled machine or dance group performing a well choreographed ballet. They were fantastic and we knew the Maitre d' from the moment we first walked in.

Wonder which ship had the poor performance livingasia mentioned above?

We were on the Millennium from end Jan to 5th Feb. Service was not bad, but it was not great.

The team had so much to offer IMHO, they just did not have the right guy to pull it together. That was my overall impression.

As I say, it would not put me off booking another suite and hope they get their act together.

Luminae menu is MUCH different than the MDR and Blu. For one, there are less selections. .

Yes, there are fewer selections and on an earlier cruise in Aqua I stole a look at the Luminae menu with dismay. But once in Luminae I found the selections perfectly fine, to my everlasting surprise. The venue is so much better than Blu. The tables are not on top of each other, the food is better, as is the service. And Luminae serves excellent huevos rancheros at breakfast. That alone is worth thousands of dollars in increased cost. ;)

I agree Maggie was the best. With all the positive comment cards she much be getting I wonder where her promotion will be.

She told us mid way through the cruise, just the day after I filled out a comment card, that she was given an extra shift off, just from my comments.

Sometimes they get phone calls home, extra internet time, days off --- but it's pretty immediate. I fill out those cards in detail after about 2 or 3 days and then about a day before we get off. They are much appreciated.

We were on the Reflection this past May. Enjoyed Lumimae very much but were able to order off the MDR menu on those noghts nothing appealed to us. Beautifully presented. They even brought me MDR breadsticks, which I love, without my asking after the first few noghts. Wonderful service. Enjoy.

OMG -- Vicky!!! Hello from Steve and me. When are you cruising next? Hope you and Terry are well. We were on the Reflection again 2 weeks ago to the Caribbean and had a wonderful time. Hope to hear from you.

To the OP -- Luminae is very accommodating and can get you anything and as much as you like. They appreciate you making reservations, and it's never crowded.

We absolutely loved Luminae last fall. We were on a two week cruise over Thanksgiving and on some sea days we ate all three meals there.

I will agree that there are not a lot of salads offered. No problem. Some days at lunch I just wanted a salad with some grilled chicken and a few other additions. They didn't blink an eye. Got a fresh mixed lettuce salad with everything I wanted. Husband likes the Caesar salad made fresh at Tuscan Grill. Boom. Got it. Every single night.

I asked for some boiled shrimp on my dinner side salad one night. Got it. Mmm.

We like broccoli and like it cooked soft, not crunchy. We got that, and green beans, and sautéed spinach -- whenever we wanted a bit more green on our plate.

We always found one of the 4 offerings just fine. Our waiter was very good and completely described them to us. A couple times we were able to get a SMALL serving (maybe 1/3 size) of an entree or side dish just to taste.

We loved Blu for many years but we find this better. And the service is fabulous.

Best thing Celebrity has done in a long time, in my opinion.

Good for you. That's the way a cruise is supposed to be. After all, you are paying real cash for all that service.

I agree, Maggie was great and made drinking the wines we wanted work for us. She was great.

We too loved Rakesh and Maggie and the whole team on that ship. Nevena (sp?) and Natalie even took care of us when they saw us other places on the ship. They are the reason we have booked the exact same cruise this year.

Nevena is incredible and was doing the jobs done by two people on Millennium. She has so much energy. We first met her when she was a new waitress in Tuscan Grille on Constellation in 2010 and it was great to meet up with her again.

Have to put in a plug for Kavi, who served us all cruise wherever we were sat, and Martina, who brought my husband's coffee each evening. Both provided absolutely brilliant service an we hope to meet them again on future cruises.

The venue is so much better than Blu. The tables are not on top of each other, the food is better, as is the service. And Luminae serves excellent huevos rancheros at breakfast. That alone is worth thousands of dollars in increased cost. ;)

We much preferred Luminae [physical layout] on Eclipse to that on Millennium. There was much more space between tables on Eclipse and proper tables for 4 [rather than two tables pushed together]. Agree that, on S-class ships, the layout of Luminae is much superior to that in Blu.

Edited by Project_gal