Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

What????? Nobody has life vests in their cabins? They are locked up in closets? Isn't that against maritime rules? When the dust (or waves) settle, I think there's going to have to be a lot of explaining about that!

Oasis Class and Quantum Class life jackets are stored (not locked up) at the muster stations. It is not against maritime rules.

To Miopyk: Amen to everything you said. We are here on deck 8 facing the rear. Everything posted to this board from here on the ship has been almost all positive. Which might just have more credibility than posts from people on shore. I spent over an hour struggling to hold a locked glass door closed and watching deck furniture and wall panels airborne outside, while at the same time watching the bridge data showing what transpired in real time.

Almost all negative comments coming from the outside are misguided, ignorant of facts as they unfolded in real time, and unhelpful.

As a business owner, I can't fault anything that has happened thus far, and they have been a textbook example of doing what's right in a bad situation.

Granted we are heading back toward some weather, but having seen how the ship and crew performed in a hurricane, we have a better point of reference as to what this ship can handle. Plus we all have our sea legs now.

To all our shipmates and crew, it's been an honor to see how decent people can respond to adversity positively. Not every problem needs a scapegoat.

Gods been good.

Very well said. Thanks for sharing facts and your personal observations.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Well.... every ship afloat has a center of gravity at or below the waterline, otherwise they would roll over. I have no personal knowledge of the Escape's stability calculations, but I'm a bit leery of a claim of 60*.

It all boils down not only to where the center of gravity is, but where the center of buoyancy is as well, since the relationship between the two is what gives the ship the force to right itself.

I Googled it because I was curious.

This is what I found:

How far can a cruise ship lean over to one side and still recover?

Pretty far, though most passengers will likely never experience the extreme.

Cruise ships can list a lot so they can withstand heavy waves, said Teijo Niemela, editor and publisher of the "Cruise Business Review," which follows cruise ship design.

In extreme cases, a ship can actually list 60 degrees and recover, Burke said. (An angle of 90 degrees would be the ship lying on its side.)

"If you've ever been on a ship that's listing 20 degrees, you almost can't walk on the ship. Walking up a 20 degree slope is like mountain climbing," Burke said.

"So if a ship heels more than that, your real problem is that you're going to get thrown off your feet and a lot of equipment and furniture is going to break loose and go flying around. So the possibility of injury is very high when that happens. But the ship should right itself without any problem."

Edited by halos

Just a thought I might share after reading responses to a certain poster here...

Reinforcement is the most powerful tool we have to impact behavior. For some folks, the reinforcement doesn't even need to be positive in nature. The fact that their pronouncements get attention of ANY kind will keep the pronouncements coming.

So, if I might suggest something - just don't respond. No matter how outrageous the bait is, don't bite. There will be continued attempts to gain attention for awhile, but eventually it won't be fun anymore.;)

Judy

Good advice! It's been difficult, but trying not to take the bait and feed into it for just this reason.

I can't tell you the number of times I stepped on the straps of someone's life vest. Also, people who put them on in their staterooms had trouble navigating the stairs. Now they keep them at muster stations. Safer for the drill... which happens each cruise. However, I think it would be wise to let people know where they are kept at muster station. Under an emergency situation your crew member may not be at the muster station soon enough. Just a thought.

Yep, I used to complain bitterly about having to go down the stairs with mine on, I could barely see the stairs.... I love that we don't have to do that any more.

But my original statement stands, nothing about the life jacket location changes had to do with revenue, nor adding more staterooms to a ship .

Kudos to all of you who have been posting your honest observations and accounts from the ship.:) I'm sorry for your experience and your cruise being cut short, and I truly hope you can make sweet lemonade out of the rest of your trip.

You must be talking about my relatives. My last name is MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK!:D:rolleyes::D

I don't think that article said anything different than what knowledgeable professionals (including my husband) have been saying...the storm exploded. Everyone knew there would be some rough weather, but 100 + m.p.h. winds weren't forecast, and the storm blew up quickly. It's really no different than a hurricane changing tracks or intensity. In severe weather, people make decisions based on the best information available to them at the time. Unfortunately, weather forecasting isn't an exact science and sometimes conditions are worse than expected. In the case of this Anthem cruise, they were much worse.

I know peoples' emotions run high in situations like these, but I really question the motives of people claiming the captain deliberately and intentionally put the passengers, crew, and ship in harm's way.:(

I have a question.... if the weather folks knew this was going to be terrible and if it was a hurricane... why no name? Seems to me if this was something everyone should have known about... it would be a named storm. (I am using my husband's cc account... so dont blame him if this is a dumb question)... just wonderin

Good advice! It's been difficult, but trying not to take the bait and feed into it for just this reason.

I know, some of the things are just not very nice and you feel you need to defend yourself our your opinion. It seems to me that this board is only for true RCI lovers. I thought it was a place to talk about good and bad experiences. I feel attacked at every turn around here.

Incredible spirit on board this morning. In 25 years of cruising I've never seen anything like it.

Having a late breakfast after being up till about 5, and all of us who were strangers yesterday seem to be best friends today. Perhaps because we were all in the same boat last night. (Guessing that's where the saying came from. ). Last night all of us were equals, and the 5000 of us not on the bridge were praying hard for the few dozen who were on that bridge.

Everyone is sharing their stories today, and staff and crew are being totally transparent about the fact that we all had a rough night. Captain said that last night was the worst night of his career and you could tell there was no pretense.

RCCL has made pretty much everything free and are doing all the right things you'd hope for in a situation like this. Free internet, free mini bar, free stateroom movies, and transparent announcements.

Having cruised many times on RCCL, I've seen them change itineraries for lesser situations than we had last night, so I'd have to reject the notion that they were grossly negligent. I'm sure there will be plenty of analysis and industry education that will come out of this.

We did choose to sail out of port liberty in February so we knew there was an increased risk. But watching as the storm developed and wrapped around us so quickly and how the crew maneuvered the ship to try to find pockets of relative calm, attempt to hold the ship facing into the wind, then look for the best opportunity to pivot and hightail it out, they have my respect and gratitude.

Walking around the ship this morning, it's amazing how well the ship fared. I'm sure many people worked all night to make this happen. Thanks all.

Beautiful day at sea off coast of Georgia but still windy. They reported another storm system developing off Jacksonville and we are barely creeping along so I assume they are deciding how to proceed.

Newsflash. Actually as I'm typing we are turning hard to the east and down to a crawl so looks like the plans are changing.

This is how memories are made....

Such an AWESOME attitude, and YES, it is AMAZING how you "band together" on a cruise when faced with adversity as a group. We were on the Conquest out of Galveston when Hurricane Ike decided to take Galveston out....to include our cars getting washed out to sea as they were parked there at the Dolphin (funny how that worked out) parking lot.

We were all "on (or in) the same boat" and band together giving each other information and helping each other reach out as needed for help/kindness as we drifted up the gulf coast a few extra days trying to find somewhere to pull into. You are SOOOOO right, the things "memories are made of". Just grateful everyone is safe and you had such a great crew and Captain to ensure you all made it thru the night.

I have a question.... if the weather folks knew this was going to be terrible and if it was a hurricane... why no name? Seems to me if this was something everyone should have known about... it would be a named storm. (I am using my husband's cc account... so dont blame him if this is a dumb question)... just wonderin

Blew up too fast - "weather bomb".

There are more stored by the lifeboats.

But what if you can't get there? Oh well, I guess you can look at it as to what if you can't get to your cabin to get it. I just like to not have to think about it!! These poor folks sure had to worry about it though.

And what good are they if you cannot get to your (or any) muster station?

You have to ask yourself what percentage of your cruise do you spend in your cabin and then ask what good are they if you can't get to your cabin?

So glad to hear most everyone is doing okay and weathered the storm. What a disappointment that you are turning around and your vacation is being cut short unfortunately. I hope you are all enjoying the next couple days and try to make the most out of them (especially the free booze you had this afternoon). Enjoy your 50% off as well! Hope you will all sail again!

It was not a hurricane, it was a Nor'easter encountered bombogensis and became a monster ocean storm. They can be as bad or worse than hurricanes.

The original forecast was for an winter storm to go out to sea to the east. Instead it came back west towards the coast and exploded.

You have to ask yourself what percentage of your cruise do you spend in your cabin and then ask what good are they if you can't get to your cabin?

Yeah, true. Its scary. You hope you never have to worry about the mustering procedures and most times you don't but in a situation like this it gets very "real"!

To all onboard.. thanks for the accurate updates, and glad you are all okay. Question.. How are all the kids handleing this situation. I know it's tough as an adult, but must have been worse on the kids.

will keep you all in my prayers for safe returns and start booking that next cruise!

I don't understand the rush. Now he's going to put them back in rough weather again. Why not dock at Port Canaveral until it all blows over.

Just as the speed of the Anthem was too slow to get out of the way or go around it yesterday, I don't think she is fast enough to "catch" the storm as it is heading north.

I assume they will tail behind it as they and the storm both move north...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This storm would most likely be categorized as a nor'easter as it was caused by cold air interacting with the Gulf Stream. A hurricane is tropical in nature and forms due to the evaporation off a warm mass of water. Hurricanes are officially named, nor'easters are not unless you count the Weather Channel's unofficial names.

Incredible spirit on board this morning. In 25 years of cruising I've never seen anything like it.

Having a late breakfast after being up till about 5, and all of us who were strangers yesterday seem to be best friends today. Perhaps because we were all in the same boat last night. (Guessing that's where the saying came from. ). Last night all of us were equals, and the 5000 of us not on the bridge were praying hard for the few dozen who were on that bridge.

Everyone is sharing their stories today, and staff and crew are being totally transparent about the fact that we all had a rough night. Captain said that last night was the worst night of his career and you could tell there was no pretense.

RCCL has made pretty much everything free and are doing all the right things you'd hope for in a situation like this. Free internet, free mini bar, free stateroom movies, and transparent announcements.

Having cruised many times on RCCL, I've seen them change itineraries for lesser situations than we had last night, so I'd have to reject the notion that they were grossly negligent. I'm sure there will be plenty of analysis and industry education that will come out of this.

We did choose to sail out of port liberty in February so we knew there was an increased risk. But watching as the storm developed and wrapped around us so quickly and how the crew maneuvered the ship to try to find pockets of relative calm, attempt to hold the ship facing into the wind, then look for the best opportunity to pivot and hightail it out, they have my respect and gratitude.

Walking around the ship this morning, it's amazing how well the ship fared. I'm sure many people worked all night to make this happen. Thanks all.

Beautiful day at sea off coast of Georgia but still windy. They reported another storm system developing off Jacksonville and we are barely creeping along so I assume they are deciding how to proceed.

Newsflash. Actually as I'm typing we are turning hard to the east and down to a crawl so looks like the plans are changing.

This is how memories are made....

Such an AWESOME attitude, and YES, it is AMAZING how you "band together" on a cruise when faced with adversity as a group. We were on the Conquest out of Galveston when Hurricane Ike decided to take Galveston out....to include our cars getting washed out to sea as they were parked there at the Dolphin (funny how that worked out) parking lot.

We were all "on (or in) the same boat" and band together giving each other information and helping each other reach out as needed for help/kindness as we drifted up the gulf coast a few extra days trying to find somewhere to pull into. You are SOOOOO right, the things "memories are made of". Just grateful everyone is safe and you had such a great crew and Captain to ensure you all made it thru the night.

Great post, thanks for this

We just sailed on the Cunard's Queen Victoria last month from Southampton, UK to Port Canaveral. Along the way, we stopped in Ponta Delgada, Azores. We left port early due to Hurricane Alex, the first hurricane in the North Atlantic since 1938. Once Alex developed, we got out of port fast and poured the coals to the QV. We were at max speed for the next 24 hours. We just managed to skirt the edge of Alex. The next day, Alex hit the Azores full blast.

I have the greatest sympathy for the folks aboard the Anthem. I was sick most of the crossing due to heavy following seas from Alex. The Queen Victoria handled our seas pretty well considering the state of the ocean. She isn't a mega ship like Anthem.

I don't think I could ever sail on one of these floating hotels. The QV is a hybrid between a cruise ship and an ocean liner. I've sailed the North Atlantic in the winter on the Queen Mary 2. She's a champ. During Alex I was missing the QM2. She's an ocean liner and can take the pounding. Plus, she's wicked fast and can get out of the way.

In the future, after I regain the five pounds I lost due to continual seasickness, it's only river cruises and the Queen Mary 2.

I'm not surprised to learn of heart attacks. As I was into my 48th hour of dry heaves, I remember thinking that if a person had a weak heart, the heaves would be really rough on them. It was that bad.

Best of luck to all who sail aboard her.

Bottom Line: Cruise ships are not floating hotels-they are sea vessels. Too many people take a cruise expecting it to be like a land resort. Most importantly, to enjoy a cruise, one has to love being on the sea-no matter what she gives you.

As much as I turn to the weather channel, they are not where I go if I want actual reliable weather (looking at you, snowzilla). If the Captain and the flock of meteorologists at his back say there is a storm brewing that could rival last night's, I will believe them. They have been very transparent with us and to lie at this point would be silly.

That link was for the board's convenience. Most folks wouldn't understand how to use the NOAA map that I look at. The only weather-maker on the entire map is that nor'easter and what's trailing behind it.

He might be avoiding the snowstorm that will be cutting across the Mid-Atlantic, instead. But there's nothing around Florida.