Senator Nelson calls for NTSB to investigate Anthems Feb 7 sailing.

Is an investigation necessary?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. Is an investigation necessary?

• Yes the NTSB should investigate
    • No the NTSB should not investiagte

Senator Nelson's knee-jerk reaction that Big Government should immediately get involved is another example of why the primary voting is going the way it has been.

Here! Here!!!!! BRAVO Jazzbeau.......everything the government touches turns to crap.....the reverse Midas touch I guess.

http://pix11.com/2016/02/10/royal-caribbean-anthem-of-the-seas-returns-to-shore-apologizes-to-passengers/

The reported stated "NTSB" and Coast Guard is already on board the ship.

Not quite correct.

"he NTSB, meanwhile, released a statement saying the incident involved a Bahamian-flagged ship in international waters, and "we are actively engaged with our U.S. and international partners to determine what would be the best course of action, in accordance with established international protocols."

Bolding, mine.

Which means they are debating whether or not to request SIS status, along with the USCG, not that they are on the ship.

USCG is there to do a Port State control inspection for SOLAS, not to investigate the process involved in passage planning decisions.

Edited by chengkp75

Not quite correct.

"he NTSB, meanwhile, released a statement saying the incident involved a Bahamian-flagged ship in international waters, and "we are actively engaged with our U.S. and international partners to determine what would be the best course of action, in accordance with established international protocols."

Bolding, mine.

Which means they are debating whether or not to request SIS status, along with the USCG, not that they are on the ship.

USCG is there to do a Port State control inspection for SOLAS, not to investigate the process involved in passage planning decisions.

The reported is miss-informed or lying? Not questioning your comment.

The reported is miss-informed or lying? Not questioning your comment.

You said the report stated they were onboard. I read it, and didn't see any mention that they were onboard, and the quote is from the article you linked. I just read it again, nowhere do I see mention that either the USCG (who are there today, I believe) or NTSB were on the ship when this was written, nor do I see anything that says the NTSB has immediate plans to board the vessel. Maybe I'm missing something?

Correct me if I'm out of line here. If the Capt. is clear of any responsibility (blame) for this cause it sounds like the cruise line is taking most if not all of the blame by stating they had made a mistake. Unless that statement includes the Captains decision to continue on course. After all said and done and the Capt. continues to sail on the Anthem, if there were to be a public outcry to replace the Capt. can that be cause for the cruise line to replace him at that point?

Do not be fooled, many times corporate decisions like the one announced has more to do with popular opinion/marketing, not a mistake made.

I am of the opinion that this debacle was blown out of all proportion. They went to sea, the weather blew up, kicked their butt, the Captain did a superlative job of sailing and corporate ordered them home. Nothing that many of us who have cruised for years haven't been through. More intense and frightening, but certainly somewhat predictable. There will always be storms at sea, will cruise ships encounter them? Yes. Even with modern predictors and models, yes.

And BTW, most of the still photos of tables/chairs and other stuff on the floor that have been shown by most news channels just happen to be of the efforts and standard procedures by crew to keep these things from becoming projectiles....I find it ludicrous that they keep using these photos as evidence of damage. The only real damage photo I've seen is of a broken potted plant, couple of glass panels broken, dishes/glasses and the ceiling panel that fell out of its slot obviously when the ceiling torqued during the storm.

The most damaging video was the one of the furniture on the balcony flying around. But this morning in the light of day, the ship almost looks pristine! And as the ship departs on next week's cruise on time on Saturday, makes those posters harping on the "extensive damage" look pretty stupid. Just sayin....

Lets move on please, the drama is over.....:cool:

That's not the question needing to be asked. The question that needs to be asked is why a federal lawmaker doesn't know the law? The NTSB has no jurisdiction over a foreign flag ship operating in international waters. Even if they did have jurisdiction, there was no loss of life, or serious injuries, so what is to investigate. Peruse my posts on the various Anthem storm and investigation threads for more.

I believe you are giving much more credit to the lawmakers than they deserve. I imagine most of them don't know the laws!

That's not the question needing to be asked. The question that needs to be asked is why a federal lawmaker doesn't know the law? The NTSB has no jurisdiction over a foreign flag ship operating in international waters. Even if they did have jurisdiction, there was no loss of life, or serious injuries, so what is to investigate. Peruse my posts on the various Anthem storm and investigation threads for more.

Because it's not politically correct to be on a cruise with the ship rocking and

Rolling. You see it everyday, someone post on CC worrying if their cruise is

Going to be ruined by rough seas.

Senator Nelson's knee-jerk reaction that Big Government should immediately get involved is another example of why the primary voting is going the way it has been.

Host Jazz, wish I had another river cruised planned so I could live in your forum!

You rock.

Yours truly JC

The Captain can be fired, transferred, or demoted at any time, pretty much without cause. If the line feels that their PR is better served by doing so, they are free to do so. He is then free to find employment with another line. The one thing the company cannot do is remove his license as Master, which only the country that issued it, Norway I believe, can do, and only after due process of law. He may have some legal right to a hearing for cause in the Bahamas, but I'm no expert on Bahamian labor law.

I disagree with you. Captain won't get fired, demoted and stuff like that. He probably need a refreshment course on meteorologist IMO. How about all those plane mishap? Did they get fired right way? How bout those who pushed plane and got clip? How bout that airbus clip on the smaller plane on the runway? Would you put a lot of blame to them? They did nothing that serious to those on board. They was scared as those passengers on the Anthem. The only thing they need to do is a blood test for drug and stuff. If he clean then he need a restructure for better judgment.

I disagree with you. Captain won't get fired, demoted and stuff like that. He probably need a refreshment course on meteorologist IMO. How about all those plane mishap? Did they get fired right way? How bout those who pushed plane and got clip? How bout that airbus clip on the smaller plane on the runway? Would you put a lot of blame to them? They did nothing that serious to those on board. They was scared as those passengers on the Anthem. The only thing they need to do is a blood test for drug and stuff. If he clean then he need a restructure for better judgment.

I am not speaking for the person you quoted. He speaks, perfectly for himself, but I don't believe that is what he was saying. He was simply acknowledging all of those things could happen at the desire of RCI. I.E. Acknowledging facts, not making predictions.

I do not think there is a chance that will happen. I don't think the person you quoted does either.

JC

I am not speaking for the person you quoted. He speaks, perfectly for himself, but I don't believe that is what he was saying. He was simply acknowledging all of those things could happen at the desire of RCI. I.E. Acknowledging facts, not making predictions.

I do not think there is a chance that will happen. I don't think the person you quoted does either.

JC

Uh, yeah. When you quote, you may want to take into account the original quote I was referring to. He asked if the Captain could be fired some time down the road if public outcry was strong enough. I believe I have stated several times, in each thread on this incident, that nothing will happen to the Captain. Search back over my posts.

I was telling Seaworthy that there are no job guarantees in this industry.

Context is everything.

Thanks, JC.

I know only 6 or so cruises under her belt moi should have nothing to say...but you just can't help being so very interested if you want the truth and fair practices to make it safer; if possible next time. There are some posters that are truly experts here. And very patient, that give us info that is to them elementary ALL THE TIME.

I know impossible but it would be nice to have a thread just for them....lol.

How many people want to hire a Captain who can't even get on his iphone and check the weather?

There is way more to this story, too many people dropped the ball.

CaptDave

................maybe the Captain did not have a pre-paid internet package for this voyage........after all RCL has to make money, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!.:p

Many, many years ago, a very wise man told me something that at first, I laughed at. He said 1 in 4 people are stupid. I've come to learn that statement is very true. By stupid, he didn't mean uninformed or not knowledgeable on certain things; he meant totally incapable of sense and reason. And unfortunately, that 1 person tends to get the most attention. We all know who those people are on these threads. So now that I know it to be true, I know to cherish the other 3 people who have at least an ounce of reason and/or humility in their being.

Off my soapbox. I stick around because I do enjoy adding facts to these conversations. The 3 out of 4 understand the facts....or do eventually. The other 1 never will but hey, that brings up another popular saying...."you can't fix stupid." ;):D

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."

--Frank Zappa

Edited by Jestocost

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."

--Frank Zappa

You are quoting Frank Zappa about stupidity? This is call an oxymoron, no pun intended.

If a passenger knows they don't do well in high seas (and a storm is predicted), do they have any option to not board the ship? Would travel insurance cover this?

You may want to ask that question here.................... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Or go over your insurance contract, that may fall under the "Cancel for any reason" section of the policy if you have that option. Don't quote me on that, not an insurance expert.

One thing I can say for sure....no Coastie would say "left propulsion system" so of course, I wonder what else was lost in translation.

I am curious, though, what the issue it. This style of ship is run on electricity, so I wonder where in the vast system that is propulsion the problem exists....generators, transformers, converters, azipods, steering module, etc? To just say propulsion is a very loaded statement.