Senator Nelson calls for NTSB to investigate Anthems Feb 7 sailing.

Is an investigation necessary?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. Is an investigation necessary?

• Yes the NTSB should investigate
    • No the NTSB should not investiagte

Of course an investigation is necessary despite the RCI cheerleaders. Amazon had the problem with phony reviews and took action. CC needs to do the same with the obviously biased reviews toward any complaints against a cruise line. Some of these are obviously paid reviews to suppress and negative comments, thus making CC an arm of the cruise industry, instead of a reliable source of information.

And you know this how?

Of course an investigation is necessary despite the RCI cheerleaders. Amazon had the problem with phony reviews and took action. CC needs to do the same with the obviously biased reviews toward any complaints against a cruise line. Some of these are obviously paid reviews to suppress and negative comments, thus making CC an arm of the cruise industry, instead of a reliable source of information.

Sigh, another X files fan....

Either read the facts or just quit spouting half senseless stuff.... Sigh...:eek::rolleyes:

JC

So every time a ship sails in this type of weather the company should be investigated. This would be very expensive and kind of silly as this happens all the time.

So you're saying bananas are related to grapefruit? :eek:

Just illustrating what you were doing to my post. I didn't say anything like "every time a ship sails in this type of weather the company should be investigated." I said there should be some sort of investigation for an incident like this. After all, they didn't just sail in "this type of weather." The ship was damaged, the cruise was cut short, they refunded millions of dollars to the passengers and likely millions more in damaged reputation/bad publicity.

I said:

I don't think this one warrants any special investigative commission or anything like that, but it would be absurd not to investigate this incident and learn from it.

If you think the company should ignore this and not bother to learn anything from it, then that sounds awfully silly.

No problem. I've always agreed with and respected your posts, so I was really thrown for a loop today. :( Of course we're friends. :)

And please, call me Paul. My name is in my sig, but I had it turned off today.

Thanks Paul and, again, mea culpa. Now group hug with you and cheng, who I suspect we'll never get a first name from! :D

my view is that the Coast Gurad should investigate. Note, I said investigate, not to conduct a witch hunt. Now that said I am not saying that because I expect them to find anything major. Only because whenever there is an incident having an external investigation and review might identify potential ways to improve, that insiders might miss.

Investigating these kind of events can find information that might save someones life in the future.

Edited by RDC1

my view is that the Coast Gurad should investigate. Note, I said investigate, not to conduct a witch hunt. Now that said I am not saying that because I expect them to find anything major. Only because whenever there is an incident having an external investigation and review might identify potential ways to improve, that insiders might miss.

Investigating these kind of events can find information that might save someones life in the future.

While I'm sure that the incident will be discussed at the USCG Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise, without the ability to collect data from the ship or crew, and without being able to enforce any finding or recommendation, not sure what would come of it. The only avenue the USCG has in a situation like this would be to petition to the IMO for review of any applicable regulation, and then if approved by the IMO, the member nations have to become signatory. And really, what is it that folks want from this? A regulation that "if a storm is of such and such magnitude, and such and such distance from the ship, with such and such forcasted track and strength, the Captain must remain in port"? Because that is sure what it sounds like (not saying you in particular).

Keep it available, it will be used every time there is an incident. I know, I'm a notorious troll feeder, but like Mulder, I've got to get the truth out there. :p

and I really appreciate posts like yours---level headed assessments of the situation from someone with the knowledge to make them--thank you.

Senator Bill Nelson? This is government corruption at its finest. Folks, take a look at his contributors. Both Walt Disney and Carnival Corporation are in the list of his top 20, not to mention American Airlines who sponsors the arena where the Heat plays. The Heat owner is - you guessed it - Micky Arison. Here, see for yourself:

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cycle=2016&cid=N00009926&type=I&newmem=N

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Senator Bill Nelson? This is government corruption at its finest. Folks, take a look at his contributors. Both Walt Disney and Carnival Corporation are in the list of his top 20, not to mention American Airlines who sponsors the arena where the Heat plays. The Heat owner is - you guessed it - Micky Arison. Here, see for yourself:

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cycle=2016&cid=N00009926&type=I&newmem=N

Wow. That brings a whole new light to this topic. Thanks for posting this.

Wow. That brings a whole new light to this topic. Thanks for posting this.

I was also wondering why the Senator had so much interest, considering he was not up for re-election this year. Now it makes more sense.

I was thinking Twilight Zone. :rolleyes:

I was there yesterday, it's not a nice place, I do not like going there and I don't wish it on anyone. Don't ask. Now the issue is filed under X. :)

Aquahound & chengkp75 now that I know more about you guys and what you do I have total respect for what you do and your knowledge of these issues. You know dam well that people will argue with you and question your knowledge about these issues (and many more issues to come), there minds are set and they focus on always wanting to be on top and more knowing than everyone else. Why do you guys even waist your time and effort?

Why do you guys even waist your time and effort?

Many, many years ago, a very wise man told me something that at first, I laughed at. He said 1 in 4 people are stupid. I've come to learn that statement is very true. By stupid, he didn't mean uninformed or not knowledgeable on certain things; he meant totally incapable of sense and reason. And unfortunately, that 1 person tends to get the most attention. We all know who those people are on these threads. So now that I know it to be true, I know to cherish the other 3 people who have at least an ounce of reason and/or humility in their being.

Off my soapbox. I stick around because I do enjoy adding facts to these conversations. The 3 out of 4 understand the facts....or do eventually. The other 1 never will but hey, that brings up another popular saying...."you can't fix stupid." ;):D

When it comes to politicians, always follow the $$$. Thanks for posting this...

Many, many years ago, a very wise man told me something that at first, I laughed at. He said 1 in 4 people are stupid. I've come to learn that statement is very true. By stupid, he didn't mean uninformed or not knowledgeable on certain things; he meant totally incapable of sense and reason. And unfortunately, that 1 person tends to get the most attention. We all know who those people are on these threads. So now that I know it to be true, I know to cherish the other 3 people who have at least an ounce of reason and/or humility in their being.

Off my soapbox. I stick around because I do enjoy adding facts to these conversations. The 3 out of 4 understand the facts....or do eventually. The other 1 never will but hey, that brings up another popular saying...."you can't fix stupid." ;):D

Makes perfect sense to me. And you may want to rethink the 1 in 4. many many years ago that would apply, that ratio may be a bit higher today.

I think that someone does need to investigate why that Captain put them in that situation

Just this past fall a large container ship was lost with all hands near the Bahamas in a hurricane because it lost its power. Ever here of a cruise ship losing power? Of course you have. What then? Bad move RCCL.

And I would have thought the Healthcare system would have taken the #1 spot.