Propulsion Damage on the Anthem !!

FIRELT5

I think ships often sail with propulsion issues, however it does impact the sailing. Port times are adjusted and/or ports are cut. With Anthem coming from up north, it would definitely impact the itinerary. They should just get it fixed to make everyone happy and not mess with any other sailings.

I just posted in another thread referencing this article which I read earlier.

I do want to note that this says Hurricane Force, which is 74 MPH. It never says Cat 3 or 4. It also never says Cat 1 for that matter. Just says hurricane force.

So, I mean, isn't it possible that Royal Caribbean BOTH had the forecasts AND did not expect what was actually encountered? I'm not trying to white knight too hard here, but isn't it possible that these forecasts were NOT just quickly glanced at and pushed aside?

I don't know what to think, I'm not absolving or roasting anyone, but I just have a hard time accepting that a seasoned mariner would not look at weather with proper diligence, especially considering he is sailing in winter from the north east, and double especially that the two prior itineraries had weather related impacts to their itinerary.

Don't remember where I read, but the weather guessers were calling for 65-75 MPH winds which is pretty much nothing. If you cruised more than a few times, you've encountered this or worse. By the time the ship was into the storm it blew up into a really bad one with winds far exceeding the original forecast.

If the ship was in the middle of it when this occurred, how is it the captain's fault? At the time, the captain may have decided that going back then would be worse than continuing.

Those of us in the northeast know how way off weather forecasts are sometimes

. Expecting 2 inches of snow overnight and when you wake up there is a foot.

Thank God everyone made it out of this ok! Stating the obvious, but after seeing damage to the propulsion system, this could have gone south in a catastrophic way. I for one am patient enough to wait for this all to get investigated and for the findings to be disclosed. Easy for me to say though. I don't have a cruise on this ship planned.

I will say this, just like other major cruise problems / disasters (I.e. Costa Concordia) the entire cruise industry is in high alert/ safety mode now. Something that is a little comforting for our cruise in a month and a half.

Dan

I find their lack of communication inexcusable.

Are you really surprised (sarcasm)??? I know I am not. They cannot even email my payment receipts! I booked my first cruise with RCI the first week of January. To this date I have not heard anything from them via email. They changed the entire itinerary and I did not hear anything, yet other people got emails. I emailed them (and called, which did nothing) to let them know I was not happy that I did not receive an email from them to let me know the cruise was changing..that was a week ago, still have not heard anything. RCI's lack of communication is horrendous.

The moral of the story is that the US Coast Guard let us sail with major issues still happening on the ship.

Not likely will happen this time with Senator Bill Nelson already requesting a formal investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board, not to mention the massive media condemnation.

But then according to AP, the Coast Guard already states that the ship can safely maneuver with a single azipod.

Edited by Kinofdc

Not likely will happen this time with Senator Bill Nelson already requesting a formal investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board, not to mention the massive media condemnation.

Correct, as you can read the first line of my post that with all the media attention, they will probably hold the ship in port.

But my point was, without media attention, things are different.

The next cruise should have been cancelled days ago. Period. Theyve had to know for sometime that its about impossible that ship would sail again so soon so with that, I agree with you. RC has always had a lack of communication when it comes to things like this. Very imcompetent in this area IMO. All they are doing now by not communicating with the upcoming guests is setting themselves up to piss a whole lot more people off.

They cant just keep hush hush and expect this all to go away

Its not like they have to send a hand written note. Twitter, Facebook takes zero effort. Total lack of respect to their customers. But after reading a lot of posts in this forum it seems a lot of people just blindly love Rccl so they probably think they don't have to respect their customers

According to AP:

<<Coast Guard spokesman Charles Rowe says the Anthem of the Seas' left azipod was rendered inoperable during the storm, which packed hurricane-force winds and wave heights of 30 feet. An azipod is a propeller that's mounted to a steerable pod that contains an electric motor.

Rowe says the Coast Guard was told about the problem before the 1,141-foot ship returned early to its homeport of Bayonne on Wednesday night with 4,500 passengers and 1,600 crew members.

The Coast Guard says the ship sustained largely cosmetic damage, including broken glass, china and balcony doors.

Rowe says the ship can safely maneuver with a single azipod.>>

So, does anyone really know where the problem is, pod?, engine?, electrical?, hydrolics? Panel?,fuse?

No, but that apparently doesn't stop people from making definitive statements before the facts are known!:rolleyes:

Are you really surprised (sarcasm)??? I know I am not. They cannot even email my payment receipts! I booked my first cruise with RCI the first week of January. To this date I have not heard anything from them via email. They changed the entire itinerary and I did not hear anything, yet other people got emails. I emailed them (and called, which did nothing) to let them know I was not happy that I did not receive an email from them to let me know the cruise was changing..that was a week ago, still have not heard anything. RCI's lack of communication is horrendous.

I have had the same problem with emails from RC. I found them in my spam folder.

The Monday morning after the storm, I was in 270 looking out the back windows, and noticed that the starboard azipod was hauling ass while the portside one was barely moving. I took a warped panorama photo of it. I'm typing on my desktop right now but I'll log on with my iPhone and try to put the pic up next.

The Monday morning after the storm, I was in 270 looking out the back windows, and noticed that the starboard azipod was hauling ass while the portside one was barely moving. I took a warped panorama photo of it. I'm typing on my desktop right now but I'll log on with my iPhone and try to put the pic up next.

I posted a similar pic. I also have video of it. I'm not a ship expert but it was obvious only one side was working properly.

Don't remember where I read, but the weather guessers were calling for 65-75 MPH winds which is pretty much nothing. If you cruised more than a few times, you've encountered this or worse. By the time the ship was into the storm it blew up into a really bad one with winds far exceeding the original forecast.

If the ship was in the middle of it when this occurred, how is it the captain's fault? At the time, the captain may have decided that going back then would be worse than continuing.

Those of us in the northeast know how way off weather forecasts are sometimes

. Expecting 2 inches of snow overnight and when you wake up there is a foot.

Not saying a captain shouldn't sail into those wind speeds but 65-75 MPH winds are not pretty much nothing. I have cruised over 20 times

and never experienced 65-75 MPH winds. My departures have always been from Florida and always to the Caribbean.

Not saying a captain shouldn't sail into those wind speeds but 65-75 MPH winds are not pretty much nothing. I have cruised over 20 times

and never experienced 65-75 MPH winds. My departures have always been from Florida and always to the Caribbean.

If you did a survey, there would be tons of cruisers who would tell you the terrible weather they've been in including 30 ft seas and winds much more than 75 MPH. Ships go through it. Happens all the time