Celebrity Laundry Questions

Wayah

Agree with those who advise not to send delicates. I bring special hangers and clips and wash my things myself when necessary on a long cruise. The Tide liquid packets I get at Bed, Bath and Beyond come in handy for this. We send DH's underwear and shorts and both our socks and t-shirts to the laundry with no problems. This is the same as other cruise lines laundries. One time I sent a pair of my slacks and they came back with the fabric finish gone...probably from too hot water. I've always wondered if they have to use hot water for sanitary reasons.

I bring Woolite in those airplane containers for shampoo, etc. One of those lasts an entire two week cruise. It seems to bubble up more than at home. I often wash delicates right in the shower when I shower, so the only extra time it takes is rolling the items in a towel.

I don't worry about the stewards--some of whom are women--getting freaked out by undies hanging in the shower. I bet they could tell some really wild stories about far worse things they have seen in the cabins they clean.

Edited by Gangway Style

• 1 month later...
I wash my undies/bras & some tops in the bathroom sink...roll them in a towel then hang to dry at bedtime. We take 2 heavy duty magnet hooks & put them on the wall & hang our clothes line between them .This works great for us.

We usually go on 12-14 night cruises with 1 day pre & 2-3 days post cruise & we only take enough clothes for 7 days. We mix & match or just wear the same clothes 1-2 other times. I use limited color combos ...black or navy ...with multiple tops .

We do use the laundry for shirts, slacks, pressing & occ dry cleaning.

I like this & will definitely include the hooks & clothes line in my packing.

Walmart has magnetic metal hooks you can buy which attach to the cabin walls as they are actually metal. You can hang your undies there to dry, or a hanger with a shirt or blouse (you can bring, or ask your room steward for some lightweight metal ones like the dry cleaner uses). White linen?! Not for me on a cruise. All black pants that can be worn over and over. Undies and socks were always washed and hung to dry before we got our Elite laundry benefits - takes little time. Warm weather - DH brings Columbia lightweight shorts - these actually do dry overnight. We will send t-shirts and other non-expensive things to the laundry - never anything expensive or that will shrink alot.

I actually *do* bring white capris and linen on a Caribbean cruise or other hot weather cruise. I send them out or just wear them a couple times if around the ship. I live in south Louisiana and we have hot weather more months than not, and so my days on a ship and at port are going to be basically what I wear at home. And I like my whites during the day.

The OP mentioned "no way to pack for 14 days" or something similar to that comment. I have to respectfully disagree.

With weight restrictions I'm careful but I do manage to pack a lot, and that's because I've really forced myself to be restrictive with how many pairs of shoes I bring. AND I put things that are heaviest in my carry on. I take a 26" suitcase which is way smaller than some I see on a cruise. And a 21" carry on, which is larger than some carry ons. I really really pack that carry on tight! It's got all my jewelry and meds, my toiletries (we're TSA-pre screened and I take more than the recommended - like four quart size bags, full - and they have never once blinked an eye), and any camera equipment, my own hair dryer, my 10X mirror, makeup, some shoes, maybe my heavier clothes, Kindle, needlework ---

That leaves my bigger case free to pack up with lots of clothing. It takes more than I take to make 50 pounds. I mix match and put many of them individually into dry cleaner bags and they come out great. Each trip I more or less have a color scheme. Typically on a cruise it revolves around black pants/skirt and white pants (for dinner/evenings). Then tops to coordinate. Over the years I've purchased many blue/green/cream/white tops, shirts, etc. that work for day and evening on a cruise. Some of my day clothes have morphed into evening clothes, with scarf and jacket and jewelry added. This has worked for up to a month traveling so far, with different weather changes. Two weeks is easy. I know if I wasn't "into" my clothing so much (I do admit I love fashion and mixing it up a bit) I could probably take two weeks' worth in that carry on. Not gonna' happen though :D I'm on vacation.

Some people just bring an extra suitcase and pay for it, as it might be less money than a bunch of the ship's laundry charges. I just don't want three suitcases. A carry on I don't mind, as it's the little things I pack in there that make my traveling happy happy. We get free laundry (two bags each actually) but we always send out some dry cleaning and it's $$ that is completely insignificant compared to the entire vacation.

Sure wish a decent cruise line left from New Orleans - then we are 75 minutes drive to the port, no worries about luggage --- ~~sigh~~

No clothesline?? That's ridiculous. If a person is travelling for two weeks and wants to wash their own unmentionables they should be able to do so in their cabin and hang them on a line. Perhaps because I'm older I resent the fact that Celebrity expects us to use their laundry service for those things.

Ironic that Celibrity made a big deal out of the fact that the staterooms in the Solstice class ships were designed by a group of women.

Edited by dkjretired

We did our first 15 day Panama Canal cruise last fall. I packed about the same way I do for 7 day + 1 extra carry on (usually between my DH and myself I pack 2 suitcases and 1 carry on). We wore almost everything twice and mixed and matched. I hand wash all our lightweight quick to dry things at night and hang them discreetly on the back of the balcony chairs on hangers/clothes pins. Everything is dry in the morning ready to put away. We also sent some tees and shorts to the laundry each week. It worked for us. Have a great trip[emoji41]

We send our laundry about every 4 or 5 days. You have a choice of wash and fold, wash and press or dry cleaning.

Anything that I would normally wash with my washers "hand wash cycle" then I hand wash. I find it easiest to hand wash in the shower, the basins are small. I just hang on clothes hangers on line to dry.

I figure the room attendants have seen much worse things than my hand washables. :)

I did a 13 day T&A and hand washed. I brought a clothes line and pins along with soap for hand washing. Had an interior cabin and no issues. The stewards don't care. Most of the clothes were easy wash and dried quickly. I felt like the polyester queen. Lol

If you don't want to budget for laundry, just try to bring easy to dry clothes. I also noticed they have 4 piece special pricing. If you have no coupons or get the bag special that's another way to go.

Only you will know if you wear things twice or even three times. There is no fashion police on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cringe at the idea of hand-washing anything especially on vacation! :eek: We set aside money for every cruise for this reason. We send a few items out for dry cleaning and then send out anything else we need with the elite free laundry coupon. On our river cruise last summer, I think our laundry bill was about $45 but it was worth every penny.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Hand wash, roll while in a clean towel, hang, spray with Wrinkle Release. looks almost like it was pressed.

az tchr

I've seen this comment a lot and I even do this on a limited basis. My question is--where do you get all the towels you need for a lot of stuff? I can do a few things using towels in cabin but if you do several items, do you get extra room towels, take some pool towels, or what? This is a mystery I would like to understand :)

Thanks

ML

I cringe at the idea of hand-washing anything especially on vacation! :eek: We set aside money for every cruise for this reason. We send a few items out for dry cleaning and then send out anything else we need with the elite free laundry coupon. On our river cruise last summer, I think our laundry bill was about $45 but it was worth every penny.

How much would it be without the coupon ? Everyone is not elite. And yes after spending 4-5 thousand on a cruise what's another 200-300. It's makes me cringe to see the prices for laundry.

az tchr

I've seen this comment a lot and I even do this on a limited basis. My question is--where do you get all the towels you need for a lot of stuff? I can do a few things using towels in cabin but if you do several items, do you get extra room towels, take some pool towels, or what? This is a mystery I would like to understand :)

Thanks

ML[/quote

Prior to showering before dinner, I use the towels I dried myself with to roll the few 'delicates' I have washed in the towels. Hang them up on the line with pegs brought from home, and usually they are dry in the morning. So no extra towels needed as I leave the used towels in the bath/shower for the cabin attendant to change for clean ones. Hapicruisin