Tales of cruise from bygone years

judymag

I met the most interesting patient in work at the weekend who has been cruising for the last 60 years and the tales she told me were unbelievable I've only done one cruise but Royal could bottle her and use her as an ambassador for young and old alike my 19 year old student who was working with me exclaimed when we left the room I thought cruises were for old people and not young people she's really sold the joys of cruises .

Just thought I'd share

Todays cruises are nothing like those in the recent past. If you could afford the fare, you were treated like royalty...whether in an inside cabin, or a suite! Real china, silverware and crystal...molded butter pats, on ice. Multiple courses...all beautifully plated....exquisite dessert, so pretty, you were loathe to eat them, but when you did, they were so delicious !

Dinner was NEVER rushed..it was a part of the day that you relaxed, were served, and had great conversation with your tablemates! No one wanted to sit alone...that's not how it was done! Shows were scheduled around meals, so there was no rush!

Everyone called you by name...and were pleasant....your comfort was their only goal.

Edited by cb at sea

I met a couple on the Enchantment last week in the theater who said they took their first cruise in 1967. He said the staterooms were more like closets, only enough room for a bunkbed. No private bathroom, they had a community bathroom down the hall that about 30 cabins shared.

Even in the 80's, the waiters had time to do tricks at the tables with spoons or wine corks. Then they'd show how they did them. Cruise staff wasn't nearly as overworked. On the other hand, I remember having to go to the hairdryer room to dry my hair. The ship provided them, you couldn't have one in your stateroom.

No tv and no phone in your room. I'm sure the more expensive cruises were different, but back then I was lucky just to be able to cruise.

my sister & I joined our parents on a cruise from Bermuda to NY in 1959, it was like sailing on the Titanic. We had a small cabin with a porthole, 1 dresser and two beds, bathroom was down the hall. The ship was the Queen of Bermuda and have a photo of her on the flip side of our menu. 7 laps around the deck = 1 mile. Dad & I got to see the engine room.

I do remember the wait staff in the main dining room, doing , table tricks, as well as the bar staff , midnight chocolate buffets were also on every cruise... Miss the good old days and that was just in the early 2000's

Interesting, never saw the tricks.

Cruised in 1988 and I remember it so clearly! Glad I had that experience. We had a wonderful server in American Icon on Quantum last year that did napkin and food tricks daily for my girls. We adored him! He's been around the Royal fleet and we hope to catch up with him again somewhere.

I remember when they had Huge Ice sculptures that were different every night, Waiters had time and enjoyed their work.

We had a Midnight Buffet that was just Huge

We were on a cruise for our honeymoon back in 1984.

There were 100 or more honeymoon couples on board and they had a party for us all.

That ship now could fit inside the Oasis

I love to read about the cruises of a bye-gone era. Ships were powered by steam, dress was formal at dinner, and service was impeccable.

My first cruise was on the Carnival Triumph in 1999, and I was addicted to cruising ever since. We had the midnight buffet, and I never saw so much food in one place. The displays were beautiful. Ice Sculptures were magnificent.

Midnight Buffet has gone the way of the gooney bird as of late-------too much food waste. But, cruises are still our favorite mode of vacation.

Our first cruise was in 1978 on NCL Southward. I believe it had 600 passengers and was considered a large ship! I still have the menus and a plastic Viking horn cup they served everyone a small shot of aquavit in. There was a printed booklet with everyone's name and hometown. Times sure have changed. But then so have we. I don't miss the formal atmosphere at all. I like things better now. But, I do miss that chocolate on my pillow!

We've had tricks and puzzles on our relatively recent RCI cruises both in 2012, and in late 2014. Love the "magic" tricks.

I'm sure there were some awesome things about cruises of years long past, but the cruise lines adjust to the customers. There may be things mentioned here that are missed, but there are reasons for the changes, and not all of them "corporate greed". Many are driven by the passengers wants.

1) Cost of a cruise. Pretty reasonable now, overall. (Don't get me started on the price of drinks now though ;) )

2) Preferences. While I like getting dressed up for formal nights, it's apparent that many do not, leading to a more casual atmosphere. This isn't pushed by RCI, but from the cruisers themselves. I still feel that there is an elegant enough feeling to ship on the formal evenings.

3) Bigger ships. People want more activities. How do you get there? Make bigger ships that hold more activities (and more passengers). Makes for a broader experience.

I'm perfectly happy with the current state. There are many options out there for cruisers. Cruise lines vary from those who are value oriented, to those that expect luxury and the pampering that comes along with the price.

Dan

my sister & I joined our parents on a cruise from Bermuda to NY in 1959, it was like sailing on the Titanic. We had a small cabin with a porthole, 1 dresser and two beds, bathroom was down the hall. The ship was the Queen of Bermuda and have a photo of her on the flip side of our menu. 7 laps around the deck = 1 mile. Dad & I got to see the engine room.

very cool story gay , i would love to see an engine room:)

dave

A lot has changed over the years. We have been cruising for 25 years. Our honeymoon was on RC Song of Norway. And If recall... you had to go out side and climb a set of metal stairs to get to the Viking Crown. Fast forward 25 years and this is the first time on RC that I am going on a ship that does not have a VCL. I am going to miss it dearly. :(

I went on a cruise with my parents in the late 80s. we were vacationing in ft. lauderdale and the forecast was for foul weather for a few days. so my mom found a 4 day bahamas cruise in the paper the night before and booked it since our weather was going to be poor. I don't remember the line, but the gym equipment consisted of one of those fat jiggling belt machines. I'd never seen one in real life. Back then the muster drill was optional, and my parents cruised a bunch so they skipped them. This ship was so small and creaky that my mom decided that we better go to it to be on the safe side!

My waiter did a magic trick for us one night on my Thanksgiving cruise last year. But I do agree that the staff seemed a lot more rushed on Freedom than they did on Navigator or Mariner.

I'm wondering if I would have enjoyed cruising back in the day. I totally love it now and I've only been on 3!!! :D

Edited by tlatrice

Our very first cruise was on Monarch of the Seas in September 1992. It was for our honeymoon and we pinched pennies in order to be able to do this cruise! We went to a TA and told them what we wanted and she suggested Royal and said it was the best out there.

To save money we stayed in an inside cabin. TA said we'd never be in the room and she was right! We did a 7-day cruise and visited 5 islands - Martinique, Antigua, St. Thomas, St. Marten, and Barbados. The only time it didn't rain was when we got on the ship in San Juan that Sunday until the next afternoon. Back then I never heard of anything called Hurricane Season, LOL!!

I remember somewhere on the ship was a wall map and little pegs lit up as you went throughout the route. We had to veer from that route a bit because of bad weather, and it showed on this map where we were at all times! It was the coolest thing.

Service was outstanding, food was outstanding. The entire week was like a fantasy. Neither of us have never been that spoiled. We felt like royalty!

Midnight buffet on the last night was awesome! They let you walk through first and take pictures of it. I got pictures with the chefs too. The ice sculpture were amazing!

In 2012 we went with Princess on a cruisetour of Alaska for our 20th Anniversary. While it was the vacation of a lifetime (excellent weather the entire time. Saw breaching Orcas. Eagles. Bear with 3 cubs. Etc. etc), it still wasn't the service and quality of food we remembered from 1992.

In a couple of months we will be taking our 3rd cruise. We will be back with RCCI. I don't expect the quality of service or food as we had in 1992, but that's okay! I still can't wait.

I know this got long - I got carried away for a moment back to our honeymoon ;)

Thanks for sharing OP...nothing is better than sharing things with wonderful patients in that kind of setting. My first of about 6 cruises was part of 3 back to back tours I got in the grand summer after studies that semester in France..1980. I was on a Greece and Holy lands tour. Epirotiki was the Greek line Apollon XI was the about 5000 ton ship and it was originally an Irish ship built in 50's. All this for our Irish OP!!!

The whole year of 1980..tale end of 79 to holiday of that year was epic for me. The highs and lows and being 20. The meals were served like a 5 star restaurant,,,,and they served from big platters AS WELL AS some things plated and I had my first caviar. I did have a cabin and bathroom and the bunk to sleep came down from wall. Single inside...and that bunk was narrow even though I wish I was that size again....still narrow. But oh the history of everything and Budget American Express tours and a guide the whole time for our group...real people with real history and on the top if the ship on real painted wood deck chairs....casual elegance was the theme in Greece. I had my first and one of few times caviar...lol oh my..thanks for the thread...love it all..then and now.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/EpirotikiPCs2.html

Edited by sjn911

I sailed on the SS Lurline as a young child. It was owned by the Matson line . I found a book about it on Amazon recently. Our family cruised back to California from Hawaii it. My husband swears this experience as a young child has led me to love cruising.

Edited by JaniceB

I sailed on the SS Lurline as a young child. It was owned by the Matson line . I found a book about it on Amazon recently. Our family cruised back to California from Hawaii it. My husband swears this experience as a young child has led me to love cruising.

Have a wonderful pic of my grandparents doing that in their 40's or 50's...it was always in their bedroom that special couples pic on deck with the sign holding cocktails...she always got very sea sick..so sad. They may have done more..so glad you had experience...I dreamed for doing it..the magic cruise... from that picture and those smiles..partially.

The first cruise ships I ever saw was the Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Mary. Both were early 1960 and I was around 10 years old! My Aunt was a Buyer for Jordan Marsh in Boston and every year they took a Buyers Cruise from NYC to Great Britain. My family took my Aunt to NYC and we boarded the ships to have a Bon Voyage Party. We ran around the ships for about 6 hours before we were required to leave prior to departure. I remember champagne being served in my Aunt's Cabin and my parents

having a great time! My first cruise was on the Norway, I believe late 70's but I loved it and then 6 more on the Norway before it was taken out of service. The Good Old Days!

My first cruise was in 1989 on Sovereign. We each took THREE suitcases! Two outfits for every day/night. High class all the way. And OMG, the midnight buffet with the butter sculptures and ice sculptures!

Second cruise was in 1995, honeymoon on Majesty. I still remember coming home, and going out to a local restaurant for dinner that night. When they brought my salad, I just sat there until I realized No one was going to cut it up for me! We laughed and told the waitress, and she cut it up.

There are pros and cons to the old and new ways, but enough pros to the new to keep me cruising!

Edited by GolfMom321

Here is a thumbnail of our waiter on our first cruise just 2 years ago on the grandeur. He had a few magic tricks in his repertoire he would do after dessert was finished and our large table was relaxing over coffee. Not really bygone years, but we have not experienced this since and will always look fondly back at that first cruise.

IMAG0538web.jpg.b46e076ca7a8a31f4be7eb596b4a7d41.jpg