Leap Year Day! 2/29/2016

peacelovemickey

Dont know about anything special They may not even realise the day exists I have booked a cruise across the 29th Feb and it is called a 7 day cruise but in fact is 8 days:D:D

Whoops thats a silly mistake for ME to make the cruise I have booked id with RCI not Princess (I need a glass of wine)

Edited by windsor26

It is a normal day.

Crossing the Dateline is the only "oddity" you may encounter. We had no Tuesday and 2 Wednesdays on our LA / Hawaii / Samoa / Tahiti / LA run. Have fun keeping the pictures in your camera in order. (Why do you think Airlines, Ships etc. all use UTC as the time base)

It is a normal day.

Crossing the Dateline is the only "oddity" you may encounter. We had no Tuesday and 2 Wednesdays on our LA / Hawaii / Samoa / Tahiti / LA run. Have fun keeping the pictures in your camera in order. (Why do you think Airlines, Ships etc. all use UTC as the time base)

On our South Pacific cruise last October/November, they just ignored the date line. Nothing special with the days. We did get a certificate documenting the crossing

Good call!

It happens to be my birthday :)! So just curious!

So you only turn a year older every 4 years...Congrats....

I did specifically book a cruise this year to be gone on the 29th...as I don't recall ever sailing or being on vacation during leap year in the past.

Edited by land lover

It is a normal day.

How did you cross the dateline going between these points? Samoa is the furthest west but it's still on the eastern side of the dateline. Did the ship just sail across the dateline "just because" it was nearby?

How did you cross the dateline going between these points? Samoa is the furthest west but it's still on the eastern side of the dateline. Did the ship just sail across the dateline "just because" it was nearby?

Samoa is now on the western side of the International Date Line. They decided to change the position of the line a couple of years ago so they would be on the same day as New Zealand and Australia.:) If the previous poster was referring to American Samoa, it is still on the eastern side of the Date Line.

Samoa is now on the western side of the International Date Line. They decided to change the position of the line a couple of years ago so they would be on the same day as New Zealand and Australia.:) If the previous poster was referring to American Samoa, it is still on the eastern side of the Date Line.

You are 100% correct.

We spent the Monday in American Samoa, and the next day in Western Samoa (Wednesday), then off we went to Tahiti, repeating Wednesday at sea.

So you only turn a year older every 4 years...Congrats....

I did specifically book a cruise this year to be gone on the 29th...as I don't recall ever sailing or being on vacation during leap year in the past.

I was born on the 29th, too (I'll be 16 this year), but it's really not a congrats. You have to spend your whole life answering the question, when do you celebrate your birthday, on the 28th, or the 1st?

I was born on the 29th, too (I'll be 16 this year), but it's really not a congrats. You have to spend your whole life answering the question, when do you celebrate your birthday, on the 28th, or the 1st?

Seriously! Or the stupid jokes... Wait so you are 7? Not sure how hard it is to divide by 4! Ha ha