Empress Itinerary Speculation after June 2016

LMaxwell

I am surprised there is still no itinerary for Empress past this June. I thought they would have fleshed it out by now.

So let's speculate (because there are enough threads about drink packages and bad food already). Does anyone think they will have itineraries over 5 days length? This would be an ideal ship to hit less visited Southern Caribbean ports that big ships can't go to, or even to do Panama Canal cruises (partial or full). Do you think they are waiting to see what happens with Cuba? Seems to me they should release SOMETHING soon or they may have to fire sale the ship for summer.

Ideas? Guesses? Hopes and wishes?

I'm guessing Cuba as Empress is a good size for that.

I'd be very interested in that. I am interested in this ship if it goes to ports I haven't been to. To sacrifice so much in terms of amenities and features to go to "standard" ports at a comparable price point does nothing for me.

I think they can make some nice 3/4/7 itineraries with Cuba included, and some great 10+ itineraries and get into small islands in Southern Caribbean as well that RCI does not visit at all, or only visits seldom.

I'd be very interested in that. I am interested in this ship if it goes to ports I haven't been to. To sacrifice so much in terms of amenities and features to go to "standard" ports at a comparable price point does nothing for me.

I think they can make some nice 3/4/7 itineraries with Cuba included, and some great 10+ itineraries and get into small islands in Southern Caribbean as well that RCI does not visit at all, or only visits seldom.

With regard to Cuba, I don't know the legalities involved, but I wonder if Royal is concerned that the US policy might change when the current adminsitration leaves office. Maybe it's no big deal to them as they can change itineraries if that happens.

I'm also surprised there are no itineraries released yet. I think Cuba stops are still a ways off but would love some Panama Canal itineraries. Would love to see the fire sales like they had when they first released the Empress cruises!

Empress was booked through the end of 2017 already when she was first found on the schedules at Key West. They have now extended those bookings to 2019.

RCL has taken all the bookings they had for the Pullmantur Majesty at Grand Cayman from to the end of 2016. They currently have Empress booked for 26 calls in 2016 at Grand Cayman.

Currently the final booking made for Grand Cayman is for November 29, 2016.

Currently the final booking made for Key West is for April 28, 2019.

This could indicate that Empress will make same changes in itinerary from December.

The calls at Key West are usually every other Sunday and then alternatively every other Tuesday.

Empress was booked through the end of 2017 already when she was first found on the schedules at Key West. They have now extended those bookings to 2019.

RCL has taken all the bookings they had for the Pullmantur Majesty at Grand Cayman from to the end of 2016. They currently have Empress booked for 26 calls in 2016 at Grand Cayman.

This could indicate that Empress will make same changes in itinerary from December.

The calls at Key West are usually every other Sunday and then alternatively every other Tuesday.

Interesting, thanks for that.

Then again, maybe it's heading back to Pullmantur. It appears that Pullmantur have reinstated their all-inclusive designation on all their ships including those of CDF and bookings may be on their way up.

RCL subsidiary Pullmantur have had very successful seasons in the Baltic. They pulled Monarch from the Caribbean to have a larger ship in the Baltic along with Horizon in Norway and have kept Soveriegn and Galaxy in the MED. Pullmantur along with RCI have pulled cruises from South America and the Caribbean with the transfer of Empress back to RCI.

I would predict that with the construction of the new RCI terminal at Miami that RCI will keep Empress sailing out of Miami.

Thank you for this reminder. I had to cancel our May 28 Empress cruise due to some changes in my work schedule, but I'm currently scoping Labor Day weekend for a quick getaway. I checked the Grand Cayman port schedule and Empress is due to stop at GC on Monday, Sept. 5, 2016...Labor Day :cool:. She's due to stop in Key West on Friday, Sept. 2 and Wednesday, Sept. 7, which could indicate a five-nighter for Labor Day: Saturday, Sept. 3 to Thursday, Sept. 8.

I'll keep watching Royal's website for those September sailings to be listed for sale.

I don't get it. If they already have the ports booked - why aren't those cruises available to book? Royal is not a fan of close in booking.

Yes, I also don't understand. Even if they are hoping for Cuba; how much of a price premium will people pay on a 3-5 day cruise on a small ship compared to what they could be booking based on availability of other ports now. If it does continue with similar itineraries throughout 2016 might as well just open them up now and start taking in money. :confused:

We are on here b2b starting the 30th of April and continuing on the 5th of May. Just checked rooms again as final payment date is the 1st of March and there are tons of Junior Suites still available along with ocean view. The roll calls are also pretty quiet for both weeks. Not really surprising I guess since cabins have only been on sale for 2 months. A little surprising there hasn't been a major price drop on both of these sailings though. Hoping it works out for us upgrade fairy wise.

That being said, June is only 4 months away and I too am shocked that those dates haven't opened up.

I think Cuba is probably in her future, but I doubt Cuba will be opened up by June, the government just doesn't work that fast even when everyone is in agreement, which they aren't on the whole Cuba thing.

I'm thinking she will get an extensive cleaning and paint job, maybe a few cosmetic upgrades during this current dry dock. Do the cruises that are available to book now, then go back into dry dock for a major over haul that may or may not include a stretch.

Then again, maybe it's heading back to Pullmantur. It appears that Pullmantur have reinstated their all-inclusive designation on all their ships including those of CDF and bookings may be on their way up.

They're not going to send her back to Pullmantur so soon. They would essentially need to rebrand everything for RCI and then 3 months later, revert it all back to Pullmantur - makes no sense.

I'm thinking she will get an extensive cleaning and paint job, maybe a few cosmetic upgrades during this current dry dock. Do the cruises that are available to book now, then go back into dry dock for a major over haul that may or may not include a stretch.

I doubt we'll see a second dry dock in 2016, it just doesn't make logistical sense. Plus, I don't think there are any gaps in the KW and GC port schedules.

Other companies already have cruises to Cuba for purchase but my understanding is they are classified as an "educational/cultural exchange" and the appropriate activities need to be made available during the port visits. One of them has week long cruises starting in May but it will run you over $5000 per couple for an inside cabin.

I think if Cuba is in her future it's when things are normalized. I don't think they will try that cultural route. Havana requires a smaller ship because of the tunnel running under the harbor. I'm sure RCI is thinking there is pent up demand for a cruise to Cuba. I know I would try to do it. But the whole cultural thing carnival is trying is not appealing to me.

Edited by MattInFLL

I think if Cuba is in her future it's when things are normalized.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48085601#post48085601

I posted that October 22 and now flights are being opened. He's been right with a couple of other things so far too. So I can only assume cruise itineraries will be opened shortly also.

When are the 2017 Caribbean itineraries opening up? IN March correct? I'm guessing that's when they'll announce Empress and whether or not any of the port schedules the MadFlyer has posted gets changed or confirmed. :)

I really think RCCL are hoping to send Empress to Cuba and that is part of the piecemeal release of cruises. They just added dates into July and no further. That signals to me they are working on something behind the scenes and want her in the right place, right time to be "first to market" for unrestricted travel to Cuba from a US port for US citizens. Except for the Cuba potential, there is NO reason to not realease sailings further into future.