I always get a good laugh from this...

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

What I think makes it exceptional is the fact that I didn't have to cook it and I'm eating it against a backdrop of turquoise water!

I certainly agree. I don't have to cook, make my bed, do the dishes or any other household chores for the week I am cruising.

No the food is not Ruth's Chris quality, but it is certainly edible.

For all of the people saying they serve "crap" on board- that's a health code violation, I think. :p

Whenever I am reading reviews and people complain about the food! They will say it was horrible, they hated the new menus, food not very good, etc. My question is what are they comparing it to? The Denny's, Tacos Bells, hot dog joints and Burger Kings they frequent? Or are they eating in 5 star restaurants all the time? They are rarely specific either. They will just state- "the food was not very good". I mean the food on both Carnival and Royal (Royal especially) is FANTASTIC, both in taste and presentation! I cook often and only cook the best for my family, and when I go out I tend to only go to the best restaurants (there are tons in Chicago) so I think I know good food. Call me a borderline food snob but I never even eat fast food and will not even go to a restaurant with less than favorable reviews because I feel so passionate about food!

I agree, but will indulge on fast food as well.:o

I learned a long time ago that another's opinion of a food dish does not mean I will have the same opinion. I ignore food reviews because they weren't done with my taste buds.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, in addition there are times when food tastes bland and other times when the food tastes awesome, purely due to someone's mood, age or health.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Whenever I am reading reviews and people complain about the food! They will say it was horrible, they hated the new menus, food not very good, etc. My question is what are they comparing it to? The Denny's, Tacos Bells, hot dog joints and Burger Kings they frequent? Or are they eating in 5 star restaurants all the time? They are rarely specific either. They will just state- "the food was not very good". I mean the food on both Carnival and Royal (Royal especially) is FANTASTIC, both in taste and presentation! I cook often and only cook the best for my family, and when I go out I tend to only go to the best restaurants (there are tons in Chicago) so I think I know good food. Call me a borderline food snob but I never even eat fast food and will not even go to a restaurant with less than favorable reviews because I feel so passionate about food!

I just want quality not quantity and for me, RCI deliver.

I am not what I guess you would call a huge foodie. We do visit some really great restaurants, but it's not all the time. Our whole family can usually find something we like on the menu, and if it's not great, well that is why Sorrentos is perfect. Usually we are all pretty satisfied with the meal and appreciate all the hard work of the servers.

But realistically, I'm just happy I'm not cooking and cleaning. Everything else is a bonus

I also wonder as op stated, where in the world are these people usually eating that the food on board is so awful??

I am not what I guess you would call a huge foodie. We do visit some really great restaurants, but it's not all the time. Our whole family can usually find something we like on the menu, and if it's not great, well that is why Sorrentos is perfect. Usually we are all pretty satisfied with the meal and appreciate all the hard work of the servers.

But realistically, I'm just happy I'm not cooking and cleaning. Everything else is a bonus

I also wonder as op stated, where in the world are these people usually eating that the food on board is so awful??

I agree, holiday food is always easier and tastier.:D

I was on the Freedom in 2014 and the food was fantastic. We ate dinner in the MDR all but one meal. Everything I had was great. We did one meal in at a specialty restaurant and it was pretty much on par with the MDR. Not worth the extra money to be honest.

What kills me is when I read reviews when posters say the food was "literally inedible." Hello hyperbole! :D

In the past, I've always wondered why my tablemates always asked our server, what would they suggest tonight. Now I know why, they know what's good.... so now that is my practice.

Normally, the waiter will make suggestions but if they don't asking is good. I normally have a choice of two or three items that I would like and their suggestion often seals the deal as to which one.:D

In the past, I've always wondered why my tablemates always asked our server, what would they suggest tonight. Now I know why, they know what's good.... so now that is my practice.

Normally, the waiter will make suggestions but if they don't asking is good. I normally have a choice of two or three items that I would like and their suggestion often seals the deal as to which one.:D

I find that I never choose the chef's suggested courses (appetizer/entrée/dessert) together. I might pick one, occasionally two at most during one evening, but never all three.

As for the waiter's suggestions versus what I think I might like on the menu, I resolve that conundrum by ordering at least one of ALL the things that appeal to me :D I've rarely sent anything back after trying a sip or bite (I did discover that I don't like French onion soup, though).

I am not known to be an excellent cook, but I find the food on our cruises better prepared then what I generally make so offer no complaints.:)

At home, when I "cook", I outsource. Why not leave it to the experts who have undergone education and training in the culinary arts? :)

So when I tell my wife I'm cooking that night, she asks where we are going or picking up from :)

So it's better than home food you happy to pay for it?

I find this thread so funny it shocks me. Some. People have such low standards. You wouldn't catch the French agreeing with you that's for sure!!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

The French are not that great when it come to food anyway.:rolleyes:

I find that I never choose the chef's suggested courses (appetizer/entrée/dessert) together. I might pick one, occasionally two at most during one evening, but never all three.

As for the waiter's suggestions versus what I think I might like on the menu, I resolve that conundrum by ordering at least one of ALL the things that appeal to me :D I've rarely sent anything back after trying a sip or bite (I did discover that I don't like French onion soup, though).

Likewise.:D

At home, when I "cook", I outsource. Why not leave it to the experts who have undergone education and training in the culinary arts? :)

So when I tell my wife I'm cooking that night, she asks where we are going or picking up from :)

I like it. However, I don't mind cooking, for the fun of it, it is preparing meals that I find tedious, so takeaway or eating out is a good option.:D

We absolutely love dinner in the MDR! And we dress up every night. We always have excellent service, wonderful table mates, more then enough delicious food. Can't decide? They will bring both. We appreciate all the hard work and effort it takes to prep, cook and serve our meal. I think it's partly attitude. We are very thankful to be on such a great vacation. No complaints here!

Edited by goldgirl2

I was saying the same thing to myself. Is it just one dish that turn them off? There alway a hit or miss when you are comparing even, in a 5 star restaurant There is alway room for other dishes to try. it was never bland to me.

Wow! I'm up at 5:33am because I can't sleep, so I took my phone off the charger. Decided to check on Cruise Critic and found a wealth of snipes and snarks on one thread

My take on RCCL and most other cruise lines is that the MDR serves banquet food. They do their best with what they have. We enjoy our dinners because of the food choices we might not have at home, and not having to wait for a check at the end. Mostly we enjoy the conversations with interesting table mates. I hope our long string of good luck there doesn't snap on our June Oasis cruise.

What does bother me is food snobs. I have enjoyed dinner at Tour d'Argent and Le Taillevent in Paris and at Burger King at home. What makes my taste buds happy in the moment works for me.

Something that amused me reading this thread is the poster that claimed to dine frequently at Ruth Chris. I'm surprised that the poster is not aware that the name of the restaurant is actually Ruth's Chris, so named because Ruth Fertel bought the Chris Steak House.

Having said my piece, I'll leave y'all to it.

Wow! I'm up at 5:33am because I can't sleep, so I took my phone off the charger. Decided to check on Cruise Critic and found a wealth of snipes and snarks on one thread

My take on RCCL and most other cruise lines is that the MDR serves banquet food. They do their best with what they have. We enjoy our dinners because of the food choices we might not have at home, and not having to wait for a check at the end. Mostly we enjoy the conversations with interesting table mates. I hope our long string of good luck there doesn't snap on our June Oasis cruise.

What does bother me is food snobs. I have enjoyed dinner at Tour d'Argent and Le Taillevent in Paris and at Burger King at home. What makes my taste buds happy in the moment works for me.

Something that amused me reading this thread is the poster that claimed to dine frequently at Ruth Chris. I'm surprised that the poster is not aware that the name of the restaurant is actually Ruth's Chris, so named because Ruth Fertel bought the Chris Steak House.

Having said my piece, I'll leave y'all to it.

Yep, one bad piece of service or food will absolutely ruin some peoples whole cruise. I prefer not to sweat the small stuff.:D

I agree. Food falls under the subjective category like music, movies, etc, which I tend to collectively dismiss. Personally, I have no sense of smell, and I'm not sure if that's affected my taste buds or not. I have a friend who thinks filet mignon is the most horrible thing in the world. He won't eat anywhere that doesn't serve a greasy hamburger, since that's pretty much all he eats. I'm the opposite. Only you know what works for you. :)

I learned a long time ago that another's opinion of a food dish does not mean I will have the same opinion. I ignore food reviews because they weren't done with my taste buds.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by runawaysoul