I always get a good laugh from this...

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I'm always surprised by the cruisers that head straight to the hamburgers for lunch at the WJ. All that food and they choose a flat little hamburger patty. But that is their choice and they seem happy.

I enjoy trying things I don't generally eat at home. No one at home ever puts my napkin in my lap and ask me what I would like. I guess it doesn't take much to impress me.

Good to hear a positive comment about the food. Our last Royal cruise was almost 15 years ago on Voyager and it was great. I'm not overly picky (as long as they have non meat options), but I do wonder how they can keep it so good wtih these massive ships (i.e. so many people to feed).

My one concern is that the qualtify has lessned to try and push people to pay for the specialty restaurants.

We plan on eating in the MDR every night and I'm sure it'll be fine...and I do like all the choices.

I agree. Food falls under the subjective category like music, movies, etc, which I tend to collectively dismiss. Personally, I have no sense of smell, and I'm not sure if that's affected my taste buds or not. I have a friend who thinks filet mignon is the most horrible thing in the world. He won't eat anywhere that doesn't serve a greasy hamburger, since that's pretty much all he eats. I'm the opposite. Only you know what works for you. :)

Just so you know, smell is a huge part of tasting.

As I said previously, our decision on food quality/taste on cruises is done by comparing other cruises. It does vary ship to ship due to the head chef. Grandeur had the best food on RCI we've ever had the last few times we've been on her and as I said, Vision didn't. Everyone we talked to on Vision sid the same thing and we were all basing it on other cruises on RCI, not on other places.

Some of you are talking about two different things. A lot of people report the food was bad, but they are comparing to previous cruises or other cruiselines. The rest are arguing what good food is or isn't and comparing to restaurants or even home cooking.

I find that's it's almost always the picky eaters that don't like the food. We eat everything and have always enjoyed the dining on RCCL. My boys got the escargot every night last time, and I got them 3-4 times, delicious! But of course many, many people do not eat snails. There's also some good seafood, but many people don't eat seafood. One of my favorite breakfast items is smoked salmon. I've always found it on Royal at the Windjammer.

So when someone doesn't like to food (especially when they say "there was nothing good to eat") I always want to know how picky/fussy of an eater are they.

We never eat at Taco Bell's, McDonald's, Burger King, etc. Mostly 3 to 5 star restaurants.

We know cruiseline food is not going to be 5 star dininng. But it should at least be edible. I had more than one dish in the MDR on my last cruise Liberty of the Seas - 10/22-11/1 that I could not eat.

Maybe. I just cus thousand off the holiday by getting rid of useless Balcony in favour of eating in decent restaurants. I'm also not going on 2 cruises this year in favour of a land trip. How is it working our so far for royal? Check the share price and find out :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Do you really have any clue at all about what you post????? Do you really have any clue at all why RCL stock is down right now? Do you know how much money a stockholder has made on RCL stock if you've had it for sometime now?.....My guess is no to all of the above.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We never eat at Taco Bell's, McDonald's, Burger King, etc. Mostly 3 to 5 star restaurants.

We know cruiseline food is not going to be 5 star dininng. But it should at least be edible. I had more than one dish in the MDR on my last cruise Liberty of the Seas - 10/22-11/1 that I could not eat.

Just my opinion, as you are clearly a more experienced cruiser than I am.

I don't think the food quality you are expecting can be consistently found on board RCI ships unless you always do specialty dining.

My parents sail on Celebrity because they don't like the quality of food on board Royal ships. I imagine you have also found Celebrity to be better quality with respect to the MDR? I think the old adage applies...you get what you pay for. :)

Edited by moopetguy

I just want quality not quantity and for me, RCI deliver.

I agree to some extent, but on our recent Oasis the entrée portions were quite meager and could not satisfy an adult. After, the 2nd night, we began ordering 2 entrees. Rather order 2 entrees than go for the fast foods to satisfy our appetite.

It reminds me of a restaurant in Red Bank, NJ that decided to go away from the normal portions to smaller ones and tapas, but never reduced the pricing structure. As a matter of fact it was increased. What gall!

Just my opinion, as you are clearly a more experienced cruiser than I am.

I don't think the food quality you are expecting can be consistently found on board RCI ships unless you always do specialty dining.

My parents sail on Celebrity because they don't like the quality of food on board Royal ships. I imagine you have also found Celebrity to be better quality with respect to the MDR? I think the old adage applies...you get what you pay for. :)

Overall Celebrity food is better. But then again their quality and standards have also slipped. I'd rather have a really terrific burger (which I just did at Plan B Burger), then a dry, tough piece of filet mignon or rubbery over cooked lobster tail.

Having said that the Lobster tail on our last RCCL cruise was very good. Go figure.

I guess it's the inconsistency that really gets to me. They've been in this business for a long time, you think they could get it down.

We have never had a bad meal in the MDR and think they offer a good choice. considering the number of meals they have to serve all at the same time, i think they do a great job.

We were on a cruise once and there was this older couple, on a table for two and every evening they complained about something or other and the head waiter would be back and forth with meals for them. It became a sorce of amusement for us and our table mates!

Overall Celebrity food is better. But then again their quality and standards have also slipped. I'd rather have a really terrific burger (which I just did at Plan B Burger), then a dry, tough piece of filet mignon or rubbery over cooked lobster tail.

Having said that the Lobster tail on our last RCCL cruise was very good. Go figure.

I guess it's the inconsistency that really gets to me. They've been in this business for a long time, you think they could get it down.

It's mass produced for much larger audience. I remember my 1st cruise on the "Oceanic"--no comparison whatsoever--it would put some 4-5 stars restaurants to shame. It must have been the all Italian staff. LOL

Loved having the Maitre D cook specialty requests at your table. Still can't forget those fantastic midnite buffets.

Still can't forget those fantastic midnite buffets.

I can't believe I actually stayed up until midnight and ate - again.

I wish I was one of these people that never had a bad meal in the MDR. Maybe I have been on too many cruises.

One Celebrity cruise on Summit the food in the MDR at dinner was not good at all. One night more than half our table could not eat their entree. The assistant Maitre'd came over and asked what was wrong and we told him the meat was too tough and no one could eat it. He just shrugged his shoulders. My DH who never sent anything back, sent back his entrees on 3 different evenings during that cruise.

This was!!! Guess the meat!!

23b97eaaa70cf3473140531d29ce1be8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

It may have been tough and/or had no flavor,(can't tell that from the pic,obviously) but "the meat is clearly recognizable to me as medium prime rib/roast beef. :)

I would say that the food on Royal is good to sometimes very good...it is neither inedible nor fantastic IMO.

Edited by Rala
more info

On my last cruise their were 1,500 people from cruise critic and at the end of the cruise I saw 1,355 of them being carried off the ship on stretchers due to starvation from not being able to eat the food all week on the cruise. From what I understand they couldn't stomach anything other than 5 star restaurant food! :rolleyes:

On my last cruise their were 1,500 people from cruise critic and at the end of the cruise I saw 1,355 of them being carried off the ship on stretchers due to starvation from not being able to eat the food all week on the cruise. From what I understand they couldn't stomach anything other than 5 star restaurant food! :rolleyes:

Heh! What a mental image!

So much really does depend on expectations. I enjoyed almost everything in the MDR of the Norwegian Majesty in 2009 - the meat was always moist and cooked to the temperature I asked for, the veggies and fruit and bread always fresh. Once I got a dessert containing ice cream that was a little melty, but hell, that happens in restaurants on land all the time. Until they come up with a way to carry an ice cream dish from a hot kitchen through warm rooms to a table that doesn't involve transportation with dry ice, stuff will get melty!

A few times at the buffet, I had a burger that was very dry, clearly had been left out too long. That was the only truly "substandard" food item I can recall.

It may have been tough and/or had no flavor,(can't tell that from the pic,obviously) but "the meat is clearly recognizable to me as medium prime rib/roast beef. :)

I would say that the food on Royal is good to sometimes very good...it is neither inedible nor fantastic IMO.

Adding onto your comments, the most obvious problem is that the meat in the photo is cooked to medium. Prime rib is ALWAYS meant to be eaten Rare to Medium Rare. Overcooking it makes it dry, tasteless and tough. I would definitely have sent this meal back. Yuck!

Everyone has their own idea of what is "5 star". I always like to know what standard their rating is taken from. And, I like to know examples so I can better understand where the poster is at, food-wise.

I know it can't be Michelin, since it only has up to 3 stars. Forbes, maybe, since it does do 5 stars. Dirona, Mobil, Zagat, AAA, TripAdvisor, Yelp, local newspaper, personal rating system…

Would you post some of the restaurants you consider 3 star, 4 star, 5 star? I'd love to know - when I travel, I keep a bank of restaurant recs online and look them up if I'm visiting an area.

For me: cruise line food is on the line with banquet food - mass-produced middle-of-the-road stuff. Some things deemed "exotic" to tickle the taste buds of the guests who do the chains or do traditional "down home" cooking. Take a piece of meat, add a sauce to it, and it becomes exotic to some. I do not eat red meat, so my choices get limited onboard. The alternative proteins offered are not very daring and, unless I get it drowned in sauces, pretty bland to me, taste wise. I have a thing with ordering fish/seafood from places I do not trust or have a recommendation from a friend or trusted source. Leaves me with basically a vegetarian diet onboard. Now, I do not like the MDR for a vegetarian diet - too few choices other than the pasta or a steamed veggie plate. That is why I find myself at the buffet quite frequently. I can whip up a very nice entree-sized salad to satisfy my tastebuds. While the ship's kitchen provides the ingredients, I am my "chef" ;)

My town doesn't have any chains, other than the usual Mickey Ds, Wendys, Taco Bell… I will admit that I have been known to drop into Wendys for their Apple Pecan Chicken Salad or into my local Cafe Rio for a Cafe Rio Salad with Salmon...

Edited by slidergirl

I agree with the poster who says that what she/he enjoys is the experience. I've had some very good items and others that I didn't particularly care for. When things changed for me, regarding eating in the MDR, is when I decided I was going to use this opportunity to try things I've never tried before. I can cook a pretty good steak and make a heck of a salad but I've never had mofungo or cold peach soup before. Dining now is an adventure.

I agree and I am also a foodie (mainly into wierd food and world food rather than gourmet however) and never understand why people go on a cruise and moan about the food.

A ship is serving 1,000-6,000 people daily in the MDR/Lido and they expect 5 star food? I find cruise food to be good considering the range of foods on board and the different tastes catered for. There are some misses (often mass produced desserts) but these are few and there is always something for everyone if they weren't putting up a fuss. I would also like to say that many main lines seem to be quite similar too (even Carnival and Celebrity) in food so I think it is a case of how it presented.

If you want speciality food then go to certain upcharge restaurants or eat in ports.

I agree with the OP. I hate it when someone posts the food was bad or inedible and they don't give an explanation of why they think this. Without knowing the perspective of the poster it is impossible to take that type of post seriously. If they say the food was cold, unappetizing, not cooked properly, flavorless then I can appreciate their comments. I also believe that comparing the food to another restaurant or cruise line with specifics is helpful. jmo

I tend to ignore all opinions on food. Food is highly subjective. DH and I disagree on what we like all the time. He likes steak, I hate it. I like shrimp, him not so much. DS can eat spicy foods like it was nothing and love it, I would eat the same food and say it was too spicy as my face sweated bullets. If I can't agree with my own husband and sons opinion of the food, why in the world would I take the word of a stranger. Even knowing their perspective doesn't really help when it comes to something so subjective.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Everyone has their own idea of what is "5 star". I always like to know what standard their rating is taken from. And, I like to know examples so I can better understand where the poster is at, food-wise.

I know it can't be Michelin, since it only has up to 3 stars. Forbes, maybe, since it does do 5 stars. Dirona, Mobil, Zagat, AAA, TripAdvisor, Yelp, local newspaper, personal rating system…

Would you post some of the restaurants you consider 3 star, 4 star, 5 star? I'd love to know - when I travel, I keep a bank of restaurant recs online and look them up if I'm visiting an area.

For me: cruise line food is on the line with banquet food - mass-produced middle-of-the-road stuff. Some things deemed "exotic" to tickle the taste buds of the guests who do the chains or do traditional "down home" cooking. Take a piece of meat, add a sauce to it, and it becomes exotic to some. I do not eat red meat, so my choices get limited onboard. The alternative proteins offered are not very daring and, unless I get it drowned in sauces, pretty bland to me, taste wise. I have a thing with ordering fish/seafood from places I do not trust or have a recommendation from a friend or trusted source. Leaves me with basically a vegetarian diet onboard. Now, I do not like the MDR for a vegetarian diet - too few choices other than the pasta or a steamed veggie plate. That is why I find myself at the buffet quite frequently. I can whip up a very nice entree-sized salad to satisfy my tastebuds. While the ship's kitchen provides the ingredients, I am my "chef" ;)

My town doesn't have any chains, other than the usual Mickey Ds, Wendys, Taco Bell… I will admit that I have been known to drop into Wendys for their Apple Pecan Chicken Salad or into my local Cafe Rio for a Cafe Rio Salad with Salmon...

Excellent points!

You can't realistically compare food from the MDR on a cruise ship to food from a fine dining restaurant. We have been lucky to have enjoyed eating at Le bec Fin when it was a Michelin 3-star establishment, as well as the Original Emeril's in NOLA, Commander's Palace, Mesa grill, Morimoto and other true fine dining establishments. There is no way on earth a kitchen serving 2,000 - 5,000 meals a night can compare with a place that does 50 covers at $100.00 ++ per.

If you want to fairly compare the MDR food to something you experience on land, compare it to a meal you had at a wedding, banquet or conference. I think if you are honest, the number of choices and execution of the meals on even mass market ships far exceeds what you are served at Cousin Betsy's wedding, your Moose Lodge award banquet or your company Christmas Party.

I have had a couple items that didn't thrill me while on a cruise, in every case the waiter was very concerned and quickly offer up another choice from the menu, unlike some weddings I have been to where the dried out chicken and soggy green beans were a take-it or leave-it proposition.

I do think the cruise lines oversell the quality of the dining experience, and this may lead to the expectation that food in the MDR will be the equivalent of a degustation at a superior fine dining restaurant. Thus setting up inevitable disappointment when it turn out to just be very good banquet food.

My expectations of cruise line MDR food is to be hotel banquet food or Country Club type food. Good, but not great, but that's OK because we're on the ship for the experience. I will say, I have had some really outstanding meals in specialty restaurants on a few cruise lines and I thought the food was overall outstanding on Uniworld's SS Antoinette - the difference being that the food was chosen to fit the itinerary and the wines were chosen to fit the food and the execution was overall very good to excellent. Of course, there were only 200 passengers which helps the chef execute at a much higher standard. The ingredients were locally sourced (the chef would get off and go shopping at local farmer's markets) and that makes a big difference.

Being a chef, I have a pretty good understanding of what a mass production kitchen will and most likely will not mess up and I tend to order those items instead of items that are likely to be disappointing/overcooked.

Edited by SuiteTraveler