To those who enjoy a drink.....

fun_one

I will preface this post by saying I hope this post is only read by people who have information to share about this topic. I don't need anyone lecturing me or any posters about the topic if they don't indulge.

We are sailing on the Equinox March 25th and have the Classic beverage package included in our 1-2-3 deal. I have tried to get as much information as possible from the Celebrity website and Cruise Critic to get a better understanding of exactly what is included in the Classic beverage package versus the Premium Beverage package but it has been difficult to do.

My husband and I are wine drinkers as well as enjoy a nice martini for a cocktail. I believe the Classic package does not include very many decent wines so I think we will have to upgrade to the Premium package. I don't really mind spending the money since the Classic package is included but I cannot believe the prices they are charging for these packages for those that have to pay out of their own pocket. They started out at about $50 per person per day and now the Premium package is around $75 per person per day. It may still be a good deal for some people but that is a lot to swallow when you do the math for a 7 - 10 day cruise.

So back to my original reason for the post - Does anyone have a list of the spirits and wines included in both packages? Also, does anyone have any information on the wine packages available on Celebrity? The only things I can find on the website show things that are over $100 a day per person and I cannot think of any wines that would be worth over $100 per day per person.

The other question I have is to find out what kind of champagne in included in the Classic versus Premium packages. We like a brut champagne and do not care for Prosecco which is what they server on RCCL with their drink package.

Any information anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Barbara

If you like a drink I would certainly be upgrading to the premium package

If you fancy a drink outside your package you will have to pay full price for it

With the premium package if you fancy a particularly expensive wine one evening you only pay the excess over the $13 package limit

I don't think you will find a definitive list as each cruise can be different

See below link as a guide - was from a November cruise from Australia and gives you a good idea of the quality of inclusions at each level

Bear in mind that these prices (whilst in US$) include the 18% gratuity

So $13.00 drinks (the limit for premium) are shown as $15.50 and still included

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2283776

Barbara,

Looking forward to seeing you on the March 25th Equinox cruise. Like you, I prefer higher quality wines. My previous experiences on Celebrity have taught me that paying for the upgrade is the way to go. We have the Premium package included as one of our perks. If we had only the Classic one, I would most definitely upgrade. Yes, the ship will have a list of wines available by the glass, but the list can vary from location to location. On my last cruise, in Aqua/Blu, my wine steward and I had a couple of very nice conversations about wine and what I did and did not like. He offered several wines, within the Premium package price limit, which were not on the wine list. As Davidc5412 said, the list and what is available can vary greatly by ship and by location.

As for the martinis, the best place for them, as well as enjoying nightly conversation with fellow passengers, is the Martini Bar. Most of their offerings are outside the Classic package. I have read where previous cruisers have said that if you ask nicely, some of the basic martinis are available in a smaller version. That seems to vary ship to ship and bartender to bartender.

Pat

Edited by Straughn

Yes, it's a big cost to upgrade (our next cruise is 29 days!). The good news is that you don't need to make the decision immediately. Check out what's available on the classic package once you get onboard, give it a try for a day or two, then decide whether or not to upgrade. We found a wine we were reasonably happy with on our last cruise (Solstice), and did not upgrade. We saved a lot of money and bought the occasional martini for much less than the upgrade would have cost us.

We always upgrade as San Pellegrino, Silver Patron, Grey Goose etc and better wines are then included.

Interesting that someone else was offered a bigger range by a Blu Sommelier as we had the same experience. However in Luminae on a recent cruise the Sommelier was nowhere near as accommodating or flexible.

Once you upgrade to the premium (or if you have premium as a perk) you only pay the extra amount above the $13 limit. So if you want to order a glass of wine that is $14.50, you will be billed $1.50 plus the 18 %.

This is particularly helpful in the specialty restaurants where the cheaper wines are limited.

I spent years thinking I didn't like wine only to discover that I just don't like cheap wine so yes, we upgrade :)

I'm also a San Pellegrino fan so that's a factor, and once I've finished saving and paying for the cruise, I don't want to worry about a surprise at the end, so even if I don't end up using the full value of the package, the time not spent calculating and budgeting is worth an extra few bucks to me too.

Is there a minimum number of days you have to buy the upgrade from Classic to Premium for ?

IE: How late into a 14 day cruise could you upgrade ?

Three nights remaining seems to be the standard. However, it isn't retroactive, so purchases earlier in the cruise aren't covered.

Also, does anyone have any information on the wine packages available on Celebrity? The only things I can find on the website show things that are over $100 a day per person and I cannot think of any wines that would be worth over $100 per day per person.

Barbara

Celebrity's web site strikes again. The wine package is not pp/pd. It is $XX for a certain number of bottles that must be chosen from a list. The bottle of wine can be shared with anyone, unlike beverages from the beverage package.

I find Mike & Carol's website of great value in cruise planning. Excellent details and photos.:D

Here is a link to their last cruise on Celebrity ending Nov 2015. Bar menus, photos, prices etc that may be helpful to you. :)

http://www.thepreismans.com/equinox_ta_menus.htm#world

Becky

Thank you for posting that link. I enjoyed looking at the drink menus and all their food pictures.

On our recent cruise on the Constellation I started out with the Classic package. As I enjoy Tanqueray Gin over other brands and it was included I was OK at first, but the limited beer and wine by the glass offerings as well as the various large martinis from the martini bar, caused me to upgrade 3 days in to our 10 day cruise.

To me, it was worth it, but others we talked to were perfectly happy with the Classic offerings. Every server and bartender was very happy to accommodate what the package covered. One thing I noticed after I did the upgrade was that when I ordered a Gin and Tonic they immediately went to the Bombay Sapphire gin, and I had to start specifying that I wanted the "lesser" Tanqueray.

I think it is worth giving the Classic package a try and then upgrade if you feel it is warranted.

I will preface this post by saying I hope this post is only read by people who have information to share about this topic. I don't need anyone lecturing me or any posters about the topic if they don't indulge.

We are sailing on the Equinox March 25th and have the Classic beverage package included in our 1-2-3 deal. I have tried to get as much information as possible from the Celebrity website and Cruise Critic to get a better understanding of exactly what is included in the Classic beverage package versus the Premium Beverage package but it has been difficult to do.

My husband and I are wine drinkers as well as enjoy a nice martini for a cocktail. I believe the Classic package does not include very many decent wines so I think we will have to upgrade to the Premium package. I don't really mind spending the money since the Classic package is included but I cannot believe the prices they are charging for these packages for those that have to pay out of their own pocket. They started out at about $50 per person per day and now the Premium package is around $75 per person per day. It may still be a good deal for some people but that is a lot to swallow when you do the math for a 7 - 10 day cruise.

So back to my original reason for the post - Does anyone have a list of the spirits and wines included in both packages? Also, does anyone have any information on the wine packages available on Celebrity? The only things I can find on the website show things that are over $100 a day per person and I cannot think of any wines that would be worth over $100 per day per person.

The other question I have is to find out what kind of champagne in included in the Classic versus Premium packages. We like a brut champagne and do not care for Prosecco which is what they server on RCCL with their drink package.

Barbara

First the cost to upgrade is only $11.80 per day, per person. We have done this the last 3 years, 2014 & 15 on the Equinox. For the better wine selection for the wifester, and the 40+ craft beers in the amazing GastroBar for me, and now the fabulous drinks Mr Santos makes in the new World Bar.

EW

Had a deal with the premium package on our next cruise. Prices dropped and I re-booked but with only the "standard" package saving £1200+. Even if I can't upgrade drinks to something better than drain cleaner for an additional fee on the day I'm still quids in. My 55+ liver doesn't enjoy being beaten senseless ten days running.

I really do lament the days when drinks weren't part of the package, too may people try to get their money's worth. No insult to any previous posters intended.

Does anyone on a cruise (or these boards) ever publicly judge the fact that people are drinking? It's one of the major things to do! This isn't Facebook, so your Baptist friends aren't going to tsk-tsk your post on here unless they know you in both contexts. And those judge-y ones are the types who won't wave to you as they're leaving the liquor store! ;)

That said, I endorse the suggestion that you wait until you are on board to decide on the upgrade. That's when you can find out if the Classic covers what you want to drink. I think you can easily forego the premium drinks for the first day since it's an abbreviated one. For every day you wait, you're saving $23 (for 2 people) out of pocket or out of your OBC. If you bring on two bottles of wine with you as allowed, then you can at least make it to the third day without an upgrade if the upgrade is covering for premium wine with dinner.

Another consideration is that this trip has quite a few port stops in the middle of it, so you may make less use of the package on those days, especially if you plan to get up early and don't want to drink much the night before. You'll have to do the math for yourself, but it may make sense to settle for what's available on the Classic package and just pay extra for a nice bottle of wine on the sea days.

But, if you want even one Martini Bar martini drink a day (or any premium priced craft cocktail), then the upgrade pays for itself. Of course, you can get a regular martini from any of the other bars, and I don't personally think the craft cocktails are worth the expense.

Does anyone on a cruise (or these boards) ever publicly judge the fact that people are drinking? Read the post before yours!

For every day you wait, you're saving $23 (for 2 people) out of pocket or out of your OBC. My wifester had a glass of wine before, during, and after dinner @ $13.50 per glass. If we had not upgraded that would have been $40.50 at the first dinner alone. That would have covered the upgrade for 3.43 days!!!! The Dogfish 90 I was drinking was $12.00 a bottle, another $36.00 Don't wait to upgrade if you want the better offerings.

But, if you want even one Martini Bar martini drink a day (or any premium priced craft cocktail), then the upgrade pays for itself. Of course, you can get a regular martini from any of the other bars, and I don't personally think the craft cocktails are worth the expense.

AH! There ya go! 1 drink where you pay FULL PRICE more than covers the upgrade and brings with it many more TOTALLY COVERED offerings.

EW

PS: The wifester is by no means a wine snob nor has hardly any clue about the 'technical' differences. But the taste of the wines covered by the Classic , none were to her liking.

Edited by wallie5446

My husband and I def like a drink on vacation -

We don't like unexpected bar tabs - and prefer to enjoy quality premium drinks - whether that's a wine, martini or a spirit. Years gone by when our bar tab was more than the cost of our cruise for sure!:eek:

For seven days I just upgraded our package from classic to premium- for both of us I paid a total of £113.00 - absolute peanuts! Last weekend I bought two bottles of champagne for Valentines which cost much more -

The premium also allows for the World Class Bar (I am not a fan however of the drinks there as too many have simple syrup ie pure sugar as an ingredient) But there were a couple I liked. I think at most its 3$ if you want one above the premium level.

Martini Bar - hey - its nice to work through the menu - and not worry about the cost - We were on that Equinox TA that someone posted a link to here - Martini Bar was wonderful! 14 nights of it - we made it through the menu ;)

Go for the premium - you wont regret it :)

I spent years thinking I didn't like wine only to discover that I just don't like cheap wine so yes, we upgrade :)

I'm also a San Pellegrino fan so that's a factor, and once I've finished saving and paying for the cruise, I don't want to worry about a surprise at the end, so even if I don't end up using the full value of the package, the time not spent calculating and budgeting is worth an extra few bucks to me too.

This is exactly why we upgrade, too! I haven't sailed yet with X, but on our last couple of RC cruises, we've always gotten their Premium package. I've enjoyed discovering new wines, and also learned that at 54, I enjoy Martinis. :) Look forward to the Martini bar on Constellation, and maybe trying some new wines in Luminae, or the wine bar.