Are men still wearing tuxedos on Celebrity?

bookitdanno

On our January B2B in the Silhouette, there was a good mix of dress. While we mainly dined in specialty restaurants, we did notice that many people were well dressed on all nights, not just evening chic. On evening chic nights, there was maybe 5% in tuxedos and gowns, another 25-30% in suits or at least a blazer, another 35-40% in more casual, but still very dressy clothes, and the balance in smart casual. These were Caribbean cruises, so dress is usually a bit more casual anyway.

I liked the changes as it seemed more people were well dressed than before the change. Not as many tuxedos and suites by far, but better dressed overall throughout the cruises.

YMMV.

My wife & I started cruising in 1992. Our first cruise was aboard the Celebrity Meridian. I remember that my twelve year old son and I had to wear a jacket to the main dining room each night. NO EXEPTIONS ! If you arrived into the dining room without a jacket, you felt out of place. On formal night a tux or black suit / black tie were expected. During my last several cruises, which were aboard Carnival and Norwegian , there was no such thing as a dress code anymore. One "elegant" night, I saw a guy wearing a wife beater tee shirt to one of the shows. I felt so uncomfortable for him...But he looked so proud of what he was wearing.

I was hoping that Celebrity would be one of the cruiselines that would uphold a dress code. I am booking on the Summit for August. I guess I'll find out then.

We love dressing up and I rent a tuxedo from Cruise Formal Wear and it is delivered to my cabin. Also makes packing a little easier because I have two dinners not to have to pack for. So despite the change to "Chic" nights, I will be wearing my tux on the Reflection March 5th cruise.

Fewer people are dressing up on Celebrity. No white dinner jackets sighted lately & very few before the more casual dress code was implemented.

Just dreadful to read the attacks by one female on this topic against other Cruise Critic users! The moderators should put her on hold for a few months if not ban her permanently.

Edited by Jewel2016

I enjoy dressing up. Being retired, I don't have all that much opportunity at home anymore. On our next year cruise on X, I will make an effort on "chic" night.

I only wear a tuxedo in northern climes. On Caribbean cruises, I usually go with white dinner jacket and black tie (equivalent to tuxedo in the tropics). That's not really "formal" but more correctly "evening wear". Other nights, I might wear the kilt with regulation doublet and white tie (which IS "formal"). Great fun!

When I do, my Rachel will also dress up and be the most beautiful LADY on board. I LOVE that!!

Wow, nothing like seeing a man in a tuxedo. Why do you think they put James Bond in a tux in every movie.:D

We have been sailing for over 30 years and I love seeing cruisers, both men and women, dressed to the nines!! Personally my husband loves wearing his tux and I love him in it, no matter what others think HE DOES LOVE WEARING IT!

Passengers are on vacation and should feel comfortable in wearing what they love. Have fun and pray for smooth sailing.

We'll see how it goes on our upcoming Celebrity Silhouette cruise near the end of March. I suspect we'll see some of each with the majority opting out of formal dressing - although some will greatly enjoy doing so. On our TA on RCI's Vision of the Seas last November, less than 25% decided to dress in formal wear. I think I'm being generously high with that number - even though Celebrity was just announcing their change in dress code and Royal hadn't even done so yet.

This is not to say that those who choose to dress formally shouldn't enjoy doing what they like. Nor should those who enjoy a more relaxed dress code feel they can't. You're on a vacation. Enjoy!

We'll see how it goes on our upcoming Celebrity Silhouette cruise near the end of March. I suspect we'll see some of each with the majority opting out of formal dressing - although some will greatly enjoy doing so. On our TA on RCI's Vision of the Seas last November, less than 25% decided to dress in formal wear. I think I'm being generously high with that number - even though Celebrity was just announcing their change in dress code and Royal hadn't even done so yet.

This is not to say that those who choose to dress formally shouldn't enjoy doing what they like. Nor should those who enjoy a more relaxed dress code feel they can't. You're on a vacation. Enjoy!

Thank you for a logical answer, 1SGCruiser. I was a high school administrator for many years, and associate formal dressing with Winter Balls and Spring Proms. I have far too many formal outfits hanging in my closet with which I can't bear to part. That being said, I am completely comfortable in my dressy, non-formal outfit, and my husband's shirt, tie and nice slacks. I love seeing those who choose to go the formal route; I am just glad I am not forced to do the same!

I'm preparing to leave on the Equinox soon, so I'm reading the latest reviews for any tips or tidbits to be aware of, and I found this to be interesting but not surprising:

"CHIC ENVIRONMENT

This much talked about change to Celebrity’s dress code was interesting to observe on this cruise. While a handful of people dressed down on “evening chic” nights, there was still a large number of people who dressed like they did on traditional formal nights. There were still some tuxes and gowns and by and large there were a lot of suits or sports coats and ties on gentlemen and cocktail attire on women. I actually didn’t feel there was much difference in the atmosphere from the past. There wasn’t a drastic downgrade in attire in my opinion. I think the toughest thing for people is trying to figure out just what “evening chic” really means. I say, don’t worry about it. Dress the way you feel comfortable and enjoy the evenings. I saw a lot of wonderfully dressed folks on this cruise. "

Thank you for a logical answer, 1SGCruiser. I was a high school administrator for many years, and associate formal dressing with Winter Balls and Spring Proms. I have far too many formal outfits hanging in my closet with which I can't bear to part. That being said, I am completely comfortable in my dressy, non-formal outfit, and my husband's shirt, tie and nice slacks. I love seeing those who choose to go the formal route; I am just glad I am not forced to do the same!

Man to man (your DH) here is a bulletin. When I wear my Tux it is simply a jacket, nice slacks, a shirt and a tie. The reality is that it is little different from wearing a suit, blazer, sport coat, etc. For those of us who own a Tux it is just as easy to wear as any other jacket/tie. On the other hand, for men that do not own a Tux we would no longer recommend renting one for a cruise.

Hank

Man to man (your DH) here is a bulletin. When I wear my Tux it is simply a jacket, nice slacks, a shirt and a tie. The reality is that it is little different from wearing a suit, blazer, sport coat, etc. For those of us who own a Tux it is just as easy to wear as any other jacket/tie. On the other hand, for men that do not own a Tux we would no longer recommend renting one for a cruise.

Hank

Great points Hank!

In addition, I don't by the excuse that a Tux takes up more room in one's luggage. My Tux is light weight summer wool and is less bulky than any of my sports coats, slacks…, You can chic up your Tux a bit, or wear it traditionally.

We have an NCL cruise coming up (no formal nights) and bring the same two pieces of luggage as we do with a Celebrity cruise. Actually, we end up bringing less on a Celebrity cruise as we have Elite Plus laundry perks.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Recently back from a 14 night caribbean on eclipse . as my dress code isnt set by Cel. , i wore dinner suit on the 'chic' nights as decided by SWMBO. Quite a lot of others wore dinner suits . overall didnt notice any difference between chic to last years formal [emoji32]

didnt see a 'tux' but then I dont know what it is [emoji33]

quite a few Robert Graham' shirts on display [emoji851]

Edited by Ladesign

Just got off the Eclipse on Sunday and there were many men in jackets, some tux's, but there were plenty of men in long sleeve shirts without a tie, and quite a few in Caribbean shirts as well. Seems like anything was acceptable, but most people were very nicely dressed.

Many men wore dress jeans on the other nights with a nice shirt.

We love to dress up on cruises. My husband says it's the only place he wears a tux and as long as he fits in it he will wear it on cruises over 7 days. It's not worth packing for a 7 day cruise.

Carol &John room 7138

Recently back from a 14 night caribbean on eclipse . as my dress code isnt set by Cel. , i wore dinner suit on the 'chic' nights as decided by SWMBO. Quite a lot of others wore dinner suits . overall didnt notice any difference between chic to last years formal [emoji32]

Where are you from in Cumbria?..if I may ask.

We are just back from a 7 day on Reflection. There was definitely a change in the attire worn by men on this cruise on formal nights. There were very few tuxedos and more long sleeve dress shirts worn without ties. We saw a number of suits/sport jackets among the men.

There was one gentleman who wore checkered Bermuda shorts. He did stand out!

Hank

Enjoy wearing your tux. That's what's good about the new 'rules'. People can do what they enjoy. Man to man, I won't be wearing a tie or coat OR a tux. I'm happy. You're happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Wear anything. You may be one of the very few in a tuxedo. Happy to not bring my formal attire. It makes packing easier.

Dont have a scooby what a Tuxedo is [emoji32].

My packing could not be any easier for me [emoji41]

SWMBO packs my case as I am deemed to be "useless" at packing (and many other things [emoji33])

Edited by Ladesign