Mini Golf?

Is it just me, or is the mini golf kind of a head scratcher. In dozens of cruises, I have never personally played it, and I don't really recall often seeing it highly utilized. At best it's a pale imitation of the land-based versions. It takes up a good chunk of valuable deck real estate. Yet they keep putting it on new builds. Just kind of seems like they could find a better use for that space.

Who's with me?

This reminds me of the debate they have on the Celebrity forum every now and then. Except that it's "Who likes the lawn on S class?" You have just as many people thinking it's a waste of real estate and serves no purpose and just many people thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread. For the record, I like the lawn AND mini golf. They're both great features!

We kind of liked the mini golf on both Allure and Oasis, and they seemed to be fairly well utilized. Missed it on Anthem and Quantum, as sometimes there wasn't that much to do, especially when we'd done all the major highlights (and it was too nice to be indoors playing foozball).

Edited by ksg

We have only played a couple of times. Had a great time even though I am horrible at it. From what I have seen, it is in use fairly often. often enough that I think there would be lots of people ticked off if they removed it. What would you suggest they put in the area to replace it. One thing to consider, for the space it takes up I don't think it adds much weight to the ship.

When cruising with family we play almost every evening on the ships that offer it. Its nice after dinner - the area is empty.

As far as the Allure goes, I was on 4 weeks ago and there were very few clubs and very few balls up by the course toward the end of the week.. The ones left were still the foamy type ball. And yes Bob I completely agree with you and have thought before that it is because of the boardwalk below.

We've played on Oasis and Allure and enjoy it. As one poster stated, I see more people playing mini golf than using the climbing walls. We never use the ice skating rink so I wonder who many people use it? We enjoy the shows, but don't take advantage of free skating times. Having these areas available to passengers makes these ships appeal to different people. You can do as much as you like or nothing at all.

So, if you did not have mini golf, what would you place instead in the space. It's the sports deck, and it fits in so something else that is better that can be used all day, without much supervision?

I believe there used to be loungers up on that deck where the mini golf has been installed on Liberty.

Thanks for the feedback. It is an eye opener to hear how many enjoy it. I guess my timing has been bad, as they have just seemed empty to me.

I always thought it was a waste of space as well until we actually started playing! Now we play on every ship and since we only cruise on the "smaller" ships, they all have the mini golf courses!

I believe there used to be loungers up on that deck where the mini golf has been installed on Liberty.

But loungers would still be empty space or space not used for "fun". So take away an activity, you should replace it with a new activity. The draw of the ships, is family fun. Mini Golf is just a cheap item for entertainment.

I don't really care if it's there or not, but I see it always being used.

Is it just me, or is the mini golf kind of a head scratcher. In dozens of cruises, I have never personally played it, and I don't really recall often seeing it highly utilized. At best it's a pale imitation of the land-based versions. It takes up a good chunk of valuable deck real estate. Yet they keep putting it on new builds. Just kind of seems like they could find a better use for that space.

Who's with me?

My kids and I enjoy it. We wind up playing once or twice almost every cruise. You can always blame a missed putt on the motion of the ship.

Edited by DrD

I'm looking forward to playing putt-putt with our kids on an upcoming cruise. I don't think we've ever played on a ship, so it will be a new experience. I'm actually hoping the ship will be rocking a bit....to add an additional level of difficulty.

It is even more fun when the wind is blowing across the deck and you are fighting to even be able to stand up!:):):)