MDR vs Buffet

LRnascarfan

At dinner can you get the same thing they are serving in the dining room at the buffet? Does the buffet change nightly or is what they offer always the same? I want some lobster for sure the night they offer it but don't necessarily want to go to the MDR.

Thanks for any replies!!

Kim H

The buffet dinner menu is usually posted at 6PM. We never eat in the buffet at night but don't think they offer lobster in the buffet. Go check out the formal night menu and see if its there. This is the 2nd night of the cruise on most ships. The buffet menus changes every day.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Generally speaking the MDR serves a menu which is duplicated in the Anytime or Freedom restaurants. Quite often the buffet will have similar but not the same menu. Lobster, if it appears will generally be served on a formal night typically one called "Captain's Gala Dinner" or similar. If you really want to not miss out, most restaurants post menus outside the venue daily. You can ask in the Buffet about lobsters and particularly formal nights go in and look early on. I have never seen them in there but I do not go to the Buffet in the Evenings except to take the children.

Another thing I have noticed about the Buffet; on a French Themed night I had Frogs Legs. The following evening my daughter went to the Buffet and had cold Frogs Legs as a salad. I am thinking they do what mothers used to do years ago and redo stuff in a different format where there is good food not been served.

Hope this helps.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

At dinner can you get the same thing they are serving in the dining room at the buffet? Does the buffet change nightly or is what they offer always the same? I want some lobster for sure the night they offer it but don't necessarily want to go to the MDR.

Thanks for any replies!!

Kim H

Depends on the cruise line Kim. On Royal, only one or two entrees from the MDR show up in the buffet, and lobster is not usually one of them.

Check with your cruise line forum.

You MIGHT be able to get the lobster using room service, depending on the cruise line, if you order it early during service. (Holland America works that way).

But generally, no you won't get the "good stuff" in a buffet.

HAL

Used to offer the same menu in the Lido for dinner as in the main dining room. But there was never lobster there.

Now I am reading that there are changes happening for Lido dining -- less menu choices.

Also on HAL their Lido dinner opens at 5:30 and closes at 8.

The dinner menu is posted at lunch time.

Thanks for any replies!!

Kim H

On Carnival, I have found that sometimes the same items from the MDR are served in the buffet on the same day, some the next day, and some not at all. I've never seen lobster in the buffet, but then again I never look for it.

The buffet changes nightly, though on longer cruises some of the same items pop up on different days.

Thanks for any replies!!

Kim H

Oceania has lobster tails everyday in both the Terrace Café (as close as they get to having a "buffet" though the food is served by staff) and Waves (the pool grill). Multiple entrees, sides and desserts change daily in the Terrace Café and there are cooked to order options at all meal times.

We usually do buffet for dinner bc we eat very small dinners and don't like to do the MDR thing (too long). On the formal nights, the buffet does have nicer fare. I have sailed on RCI, Princess and Celebrity and have found it the same; nicer offerings on the formal nights, but no lobster. I should point out though, it's spiny lobster and not Maine lobster. It's usually kind of dry. Most of the major lines have Maine lobster though any of the paid venues.

Thanks for any replies!!

Kim H

It all depends on the cruise line. They are all a little different, you need to ask this question on the boards for the line you are sailing on.

Thanks for all the replies!! We are sailing on Carnival. I will plan on taking clothes for at least 1 night in the dining room cause I definitely want lobster the night it is offered!!

As far as "clothes for the dining room" ... don't go overboard (pun not intended). Carnival is very relaxed. Check out the cruise casual dress code. Basically, though, no cut-offs, wife-beaters, swimsuits, etc.

Thanks for all the replies!! We are sailing on Carnival. I will plan on taking clothes for at least 1 night in the dining room cause I definitely want lobster the night it is offered!!

Lobster will never be on the buffet at Carnival. Generally the buffet is reflective, but not identical to the MDR menu. For instance, you will never find lobster or warm chocolate melting cake on the buffet. You will find many entrees that have been "buffetized" and a lot of the same desserts.

I have never seen the same steaks on the buffet, but there was always a carving station. Lobster has never been on the buffet, but generally shrimp are available.