New TV Cruise Programme

bee-ess

I know this is the P&O forum but just wanted to say that a new program starts on ITV next Thursday about life in the Regal Princess. The last time Princess featured in a TV program it did not show them in the best light. Bit surprised they are doing it again.

"THE cruise ship Regal Princess will be the star of a six-part series airing in March which will reveal what it is like aboard a luxury liner.

The Cruise will follow the lives of the crew and guests as the 3,560-passenger ship sails through northern Europe and Russia.

The documentary will also give a rare insight into the day-to-day roles of the 1,400-multinational crew who keep the ship running smoothly.

More than 20,000 meals a day have to be prepared and the 19-deck ship's 1,800 cabins serviced daily."

The programme was ok but it seemed a bit short. As for the ship it's a little bit glitzy for me. The chap behind reception would be a pain :eek:

Why would he be a pain do you spend a lot of your time on a cruise at reception. He seemed to be a fun character and I certainly dont want sour faced miserable staff on any cruise.

The programme was ok but it seemed a bit short. As for the ship it's a little bit glitzy for me. The chap behind reception would be a pain :eek:

Especially if he gets the ships tour guides job. :eek:

The ship reminds me of the Britannia.

I think it started better than the Royal Princess programme.

It has potential, however the whole "elite" part of the show really annoyed me. As it really is NOT like that. Yes, they do honour most travelled passengers at an event, but the 3 MTP are advised and invited ahead of time. Building in that suspense seemed quite ridiculous and made it something it isn't. I'm hoping the programme focuses less on pax, as to be honest those they chose to film, are likely those I try to a avoid. The most interesting people I meet on cruises are those that don't seek the limelight, but conversations develop to colourful stories of the lives they have led and the things they have experienced.

I'm interested in the behind the scenes stuff, I liked the engineers and their interaction, will be interesting seeing how he gets on. I too liked the chap at passenger services, I assume when there is a need to be serious he can be.

What I would really like to see, and hear, but don't expect too, is the thoughts of the waiters at the free drink passenger events, that would be interesting viewing, I always feel sorry for them surrounded by grabbing hands.

I hope those of you thinking of trying Princess don't see anything to put you off.

Especially if he gets the ships tour guides job. :eek:

The ship reminds me of the Britannia.

I don't think I would like to on a long coach trip with him :)

It is the same build as Britannia, my perfect ship would actually have the piazza (atrium) of Royal/Regal Princess plus the cool haven of Britannias Crows nest.

Did go really quick that half hour! It is a series though so there is more to come.

I did think the Elite thing was a bit naff - who really cares?! As has been said before if I'd never cruised before I would have been put off the by the show they did last year. I thought the engineer was interesting.

I just like looking at cruise ships :)

Edited by P&O SUE

Why would he be a pain do you spend a lot of your time on a cruise at reception. He seemed to be a fun character and I certainly dont want sour faced miserable staff on any cruise.

No I don't spend a lot of time at reception to answer your question. As for your reply to my post can I take it you got out of bed the wrong side this morning? Who mentioned anything about wanting 'sour faced miserable staff' I could say that goes for passengers as well but I'm far too polite.

Don't worry I won't be back :mad:

I don't think I would like to on a long coach trip with him :)

It is the same build as Britannia, my perfect ship would actually have the piazza (atrium) of Royal/Regal Princess plus the cool haven of Britannias Crows nest.

I thought that looking at the various area's of the ship (excluding back stage) the Regal Princess had the wow factor versus Britannia's ok but nothing special and made Britannia look like the poor relation. It certainly looked as though Britannia was fitted out on a far lower budget when looking at some of the areas on the ship especially the theatre where the seats looked far more comfortable on the Regal Princess.

No I don't spend a lot of time at reception to answer your question. As for your reply to my post can I take it you got out of bed the wrong side this morning? Who mentioned anything about wanting 'sour faced miserable staff' I could say that goes for passengers as well but I'm far too polite.

Strawberry Field, I think you have taken majortom10 comment too personally.

Sadly, in my limited experience the psd team have often appeared a bit miserable and bored. So I agree that someone with character and a bit of enthusiasm can be refreshing at times.

That was all that was meant by the comment that was made.

I thought that looking at the various area's of the ship (excluding back stage) the Regal Princess had the wow factor versus Britannia's ok but nothing special and made Britannia look like the poor relation. It certainly looked as though Britannia was fitted out on a far lower budget when looking at some of the areas on the ship especially the theatre where the seats looked far more comfortable on the Regal Princess.

I've not been on Regal only Royal, and from memory the seats are the same, no drinks trays etc and not as nice as other ships.

I loved the artist impressions of the atrium on Britannia, I was looking forward to understated classy elegance. In reality it felt like the build of a shopping mall with half the shops closed down.

I love the glass house on Azura but not on Britannia, not sure why so spent very little time in that area, that said The Crows Nest, serenity deck and the thermal suite were all excellent so more than happy to sail on her again for the right itinerary.

We watched it. I thought the Elite thing was very naff. As someone else said who cares how many cruises someone else has done. Agree the guy on reception was over the top and would drive me mad. Also had a call from a friend who cruises with us. She thought it was awful! But then we don't like big ships. It look very crowded on deck. I found the stuff about the entertainment interesting. They work very hard to learn all the shows.

Edited by jeanlyon

I saw it and the ship looked very attractive to me.

However, as with all the recent new builds in the P&O and Princess fleet (we were docked next to Britannia last week in Antigua) the general balconies (as could be seen during the interview with the Californian couple) are ridiculously narrow compared to those of RCI of which I'm familiar with. That alone is a deal breaker for me on that class of ship as I like to spend a fair amount of time in private on my balcony.

It is the same on the newer NCL builds (Breakaway and Getaway), the balconies of mini suites only contain 2 chairs and a very small table and to be able to stretch your legs you have to sit at right angles to the balcony which defeats the object IMHO.

The frequent cruiser event doesn't bother me, I never attend the RCI 'welcome back parties' where they applaud those cruisers who have sailed many times. It happens on all lines, some passenger like and expect to be recognised. I don't.

I will be watching the rest of the episodes.

Strawberry Field, I think you have taken majortom10 comment too personally.

Sadly, in my limited experience the psd team have often appeared a bit miserable and bored. So I agree that someone with character and a bit of enthusiasm can be refreshing at times.

That was all that was meant by the comment that was made.

You are probably right in saying I took it too personally and I regret posting the way I did. However because of there being no smileys involved I did take it personally and I did respond.

Unfortunately this forum isn't for me though but thanks for making me aware of my error and I will apologise :)

Majortom I would like to apologise for my reply to your post I replied in haste and now wish I hadn't. If I had thought it through I would have replied differently.

You are probably right in saying I took it too personally and I regret posting the way I did. However because of there being no smileys involved I did take it personally and I did respond.

Unfortunately this forum isn't for me though but thanks for making me aware of my error and I will apologise :)

I don't think you really needed to apologise, but it's very nice that you have :) I just didn't want you to leave, sorry you feel like that.

However, remember everyone is always welcome, that's the trouble with forums, when typing it doesn't always read as you would say it. Especially when our views may be different.

I hope you continue to enjoying cruising if you do decide not to partake on the forum:)

I do not think there was any need to apologise (but it was lovely that you took the time to). It would be a shame to see you go as you seem one of the nicer people on here (and I agree with your view about the guy at reception - but I guess it makes good tv).