Nervous about first cruise with toddler on RCCL

Hello!

I have cruised once on Carnival before, and was looking forward to trying Royal Caribbean. I'm having some concerns about communication with them, because I'm traveling with my husband and toddler. We've booked a 5 day from Baltimore to Bermuda on Grandeur through their website, and according to the FAQ, there are certain accommodations for toddlers/babies, such as a pack and play for the room, etc.

When my cruise was on on hold, I of course got the messages about "helping me purchase", but now that I've booked the trip, I can't get a response.

I did get through this morning by calling their number, but I'm not too confident the person knew what she was talking about.

I asked if I could reserve a pack and play for our room, as the website indicated I should reserve one beforehand. The rep on the phone told me I can't do that, and I need to just ask at guest services on board. I was told the same for any booster seat/high chair. This is going to be a huge issue if I get on board and find my child has nowhere to sleep or sit.

My daughter will be 18 months old, and when I asked if I needed a drink package for milk, she told me to buy a soda package. I clarified that I do not need soda, just milk and water, and she said that I don't need a package, then. However, I'm nervous that I'll get on board and this won't be case.

I didn't ask the rest of my questions on the phone, because I wasn't really getting anywhere, and I wish I had gone through a travel agent (but I'm sure I can't do that, now that I've booked, right?). The website doesn't provide much help for leaving details beyond booking excursions, either.

Can anyone help me out with any tips or advice for cruising as a family with a small child, particularly with this cruise line? I'm starting to panic a bit.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Milk is a complimentary beverage at all meals. No beverage package is needed. If you don't see cartons of milk out, just ask one of the crewmembers.

With regard to using a travel agent, you have 60 days to transfer your booking to a travel agent, as long as you have not paid off the cruise.

Do yourself a favor and call back. When I get a rep with an accent, I always politely make up an excuse that I have to call back.

Sometimes it is very difficult to understand one with an accent or your afraid you don't know if they understand YOU. Plus....you may get different answers from different reps. Try again. You may be pleasantly surprised.

My daughter will be 18 months old, and when I asked if I needed a drink package for milk, she told me to buy a soda package. I clarified that I do not need soda, just milk and water, and she said that I don't need a package, then. However, I'm nervous that I'll get on board and this won't be case.

Hi there and welcome. :)

A phone rep recommended a soda package for an 18 month old... wow, that's a new one on me! Good grief. :rolleyes: You are new here, but it is widely known that the phone reps are not always correct in the information they give out; we suspect most of them have never even been on a cruise, let alone a Royal Caribbean cruise. Regarding the Pack and Play (I just looked and now they are being called "Play Yards", and must be reserved ahead of time) - perhaps you might call them again and speak to another agent, who will help you.

As stated, milk and tap water are absolutely available to you without charge - milk in the eating venues (buffet, dining room), and iced tap water most everywhere. Please put your mind at ease, it's not going to be a problem. :)

I may do that. I also just sent an inquiry to AAA to see if I can in fact transfer my cruise to an agent (I would have to reactivate the membership I never used).

I'm so glad to have finally posted here! I was starting to rethink even going at all.

You are going to have a BLAST. What ship are you sailing?

Thank you. :-)

Yes! She suggested I purchase my toddler a soda package for $5/day.

I am a suuuper planner, so I'm anxious when I don't know how things are going to go. Vacationing with a kid is new to me, and obviously I am not well versed in cruise planning, so what I thought would be "easy" is causing me some panic.

I had the exact same experience as you a couple years ago, and was told to contact guest services for the pack and play. Even if they were first come, first served, we boarded late and still got one with zero issues whatsoever. I suppose there's a finite amount of them, so if it makes you feel more comfortable, try to board the ship early so you are one of the first to request one.

We ate in the Main Dining Room with our son the majority of the time, and always had a highchair brought to us very quickly. We used My Time Dining, but I'd imagine if you have a set dining time, the highchair would be waiting for you on the second day and all subsequent days. Even for us, the waiter would have some fruit immediately on hand to give to our toddler as soon as we arrived.

We only ate at the Windjammer cafe for lunch the first day, so I don't recall specifically, but I want to say we were able to locate a high chair there as well.

I may do that. I also just sent an inquiry to AAA to see if I can in fact transfer my cruise to an agent (I would have to reactivate the membership I never used).

I'm so glad to have finally posted here! I was starting to rethink even going at all.

Don't be discouraged by some less than optimal experiences with the phone reps. It happens to all of us from time to time.

Don't be discouraged by some less than optimal experiences with the phone reps. It happens to all of us from time to time.

Thank you. It was really a mix of the phone rep issue, plus I had received 2 emails with your basic "let me know how I can help!" message, and never got a response when I replied. While my cruise experience with Carnival wasn't the greatest thing ever, I do recall the online booking experience being much smoother.

Thank you. It was really a mix of the phone rep issue, plus I had received 2 emails with your basic "let me know how I can help!" message, and never got a response when I replied. While my cruise experience with Carnival wasn't the greatest thing ever, I do recall the online booking experience being much smoother.

Unfortunately, the functionality of Royal's website leaves much to be desired.

I have seen high chairs sitting along the side of the windjammer. I would not think you would have trouble getting one.

Here is a link to the family crusing board on cruise critic. There are lots of people there that can answer all of your questions. If you do a search on Grandeur you will find people that can give you the details for arranging for toys, babysitting services, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Here are 2 frequent suggestions for people with tots.

1. bring a small blow up tub. Tots are not allowed in the pool. You can use this on your own balcony [if you have one]and it can be a big help at bath time.

2. Bring a small soft sided cooler or ask your cabin attendant to bring a large bucket to put some milk in. the cabin fridge is not very cold. . . . Also, not all cabins have a fridge on the Grandeur. [i would think you will want milk at other times than just meals]

PS--I find Royal Caribbean phone reps are not always very knowledgeable. But, the cruise experience is very nice. Relax and have a great time.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

We travel with littles often. Never had an issue getting a pack and play( never had a child actually sleep in it though lol) or milk. We really enjoy cruising with our kids. The family cruising board is pretty helpful too if you haven't checked it out yet. Have a great cruise!

5 years ago, when my daughter was 2.5, we took Explorer from NJ to Bermuda. I got the same story as you. I *thought* I reserved a pack and play, but I had to ask the room steward for one once we got there. They also had no blankets or sheets for it! After asking, they just gave me two flat sheets and said they had no blankets. So my advice would be to pack your own sheet and blanket. She was still a big milk drinker at the time, and we had no issues getting free milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We cruise often with our family that includes toddler grandchildren.

You need to call RCI back and reserve your pack-n-play...they only have a limited number of these onboard. Much better to have it and then decide you won't need it than need it and none are available. We always add this to our original booking with a rep over the phone.

Sorry your ship doesn't offer the "Nursery" we only sail on RCI ships that offer one...but hopefully the Royal Babies & Tots program will work out for you.

Relax...after many years of cruising...we too were stressed out the first time we had really little ones sailing with us...worked out great....Enjoy !!!

Hello!

I have cruised once on Carnival before, and was looking forward to trying Royal Caribbean. I'm having some concerns about communication with them, because I'm traveling with my husband and toddler. We've booked a 5 day from Baltimore to Bermuda on Grandeur through their website, and according to the FAQ, there are certain accommodations for toddlers/babies, such as a pack and play for the room, etc.

When my cruise was on on hold, I of course got the messages about "helping me purchase", but now that I've booked the trip, I can't get a response.

I did get through this morning by calling their number, but I'm not too confident the person knew what she was talking about.

I asked if I could reserve a pack and play for our room, as the website indicated I should reserve one beforehand. The rep on the phone told me I can't do that, and I need to just ask at guest services on board. I was told the same for any booster seat/high chair. This is going to be a huge issue if I get on board and find my child has nowhere to sleep or sit.

I didn't ask the rest of my questions on the phone, because I wasn't really getting anywhere, and I wish I had gone through a travel agent (but I'm sure I can't do that, now that I've booked, right?). The website doesn't provide much help for leaving details beyond booking excursions, either.

Can anyone help me out with any tips or advice for cruising as a family with a small child, particularly with this cruise line? I'm starting to panic a bit.

You can contact them here web_reservations@rccl.com for your request for the pack and play and they are very responsive. It generally takes 1-2 days to hear back from them and i have found it to be very helpful.

I suggest, to contact the "Cruise Planner Dept." (800-398-9819). Very helpful with many of my problems from dining times to entertainment times. Called regarding the Barbie experience and Barbie room décor, and while others told me that I can find on their website, but they told that it was discontinued.

Thanks, I called and left a message with "my vacation planner". Hopefully he replies soon.

Hmmm...I wouldn't deal with a "vacation planner"...best to call and speak to who ever answers the phone (again) anyone can make this addition to your reservation. JMHO

Thanks, all. I spoke with a travel agent at AAA who has sent a request to handle my reservation. He actually seemed to know what he was talking about (and he called me back within a few hours), and seemed annoyed that the rep I had spoken to couldn't understand that I needed to reserve a pack and play. I haven't even done much yet, since we have to wait for the reservation to be transferred to the agency, but I already feel more at ease.

Thanks again, and special shout out to PP who pointed out that I COULD switch to using an agent!