Ripped Off by Celebrity

Corvette

• 5 months later...

Ummmm...

We booked a TA last year while on a TA and thought the deal was pretty good. There were only a few cabins left when we booked so ended up on Deck 7 partially obstructed balcony. A couple of perks, i.e. gratuities included and $100 from Celebrity. We are Elite Plus members. Yesterday better balcony cabins were selling at 1/2 the cost that we paid with no perks. Celebrity only offered to us to be moved to the Concierge cabin and we had to give up our perks. In the end they just moved us on Deck 7 to an unobstructed view cabin. I just had to vent because I think they do not treat repeat customers well. We asked for some free internet as well and the answer was no and this would not have cost them anything. I will never book on the ship again.

Had the cost of the cruise increased, were you prepared to write a check?

I can sympathize with OP, booked an April cruise just days after 2 free perks sale and just days before a 4 free perks sale at an online Travel Agency.

But the way it is stated above makes the most sense to me.

When the flight tickets I bought on Southwest this morning doubled in price in 3 hours, from $1500 to $3000, i certainly didn't feel I owed Southwest $1500 more.

Just a few thoughts...

We booked a TA last year while on a TA and thought the deal was pretty good.

If you thought it was a pretty good deal... just what is it you're complaining about? I doubt you were you dragged to the future cruise office and coerced into booking... :rolleyes:

There were only a few cabins left when we booked so ended up on Deck 7 partially obstructed balcony.

This is just one of the ridiculous sales techniques used to sell anything and everything... HURRY!!! Before it's TOO LATE!!! There's only a FEW left!!! It's almost ALWAYS nothing but SALES HYPE designed to get your money NOW. There are websites that SHOW YOU just how many cabins of different types are left, and you can predict with incredible accuracy whether prices will rise, fall, or stay the same.

A couple of perks, i.e. gratuities included and $100 from Celebrity.

THAT doesn't sound like such a bad deal. The vast majority of people will SAY they "got a great deal" but they almost NEVER offer hard numbers, so it's absolutely impossible to compare. I'm afraid to even ask, because I can almost guarantee you paid WAYYY to much for that cabin... because you bought into the slick marketing and sales pitch instead of spending a little time doing some shrewd shopping. :o

We are Elite Plus members.

That has almost NO bearing on ANYTHING. They are in business to SELL CRUISES... to ANYONE... at the HIGHEST possible price. ;)

Yesterday better balcony cabins were selling at 1/2 the cost that we paid with no perks. Celebrity only offered to us to be moved to the Concierge cabin and we had to give up our perks.

THAT is nothing but the law of supply and demand at work. They had too many cabins for sale at too high a price, and even though SOME PEOPLE paid that too high price, many others did NOT so the price had to come down

In the end they just moved us on Deck 7 to an unobstructed view cabin.

So you actually got an EVEN *B*E*T*T*E*R* deal than you signed up for.

I just had to vent because I think they do not treat repeat customers well.

I have only been on about 10 Celebrity cruises the shortest was 14 nights and I think they treat me just fine.

We asked for some free internet as well and the answer was no and this would not have cost them anything.

Yes, it WOULD have cost them something, the lost profit of SELLING it instead of giving it away.

I will never book on the ship again.

THAT is the smartest thing you will ever do, it's your first step to paying (a LOT?) less for your cruises in the future. For the best deals, don't EVER book through the cruise line... there are on-line agencies that offer lower prices AND more perks. :)

Edited by teecee60

Gotta say that knowing how pricing is working nowadays with the advantages, disadvantages, and risks around booking early versus last minute, it does influence our decision on when to book when factoring in our vacation parameters. It kind of is, what it is and we work around it.

Sorry. But I sincerely don't understand what Celebrity did wrong. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Isn't a concierge class cabin technically an upgrade?

Concur, just a wild hair to complain, sounds like YKWIA type of individual... maybe a good thing not to encounter the passenger after their TA.

I make it a point to never check prices after final payment.

To get the cabin you want, book when the itinerary is first released and there are lots of choices. Keep an eye on prices, I have gotten some great deals that way. But once it is final payment, let it go.

The price on the cruise we will be doing went up after final paymet. I am very happy that I dont get an EXTRA payment because of this..

Ripped off or not - life is not fair. So many postings here on CC is PURE first world problems. All of us here at CC should take at least 5 minutes away from the keyboard and think about how darn lucky we are. We are amoung the few percentages of the world that is able to go on a CRUISE! Think about all of those people in the world that is struggeling with war and hunger. Stop whining! If you are so disappointed with what the cruiseline deliver as a product, then change company. Try something new, try landbased vacation... Just stop complaining!

I make it a point to never check prices after final payment.

To get the cabin you want, book when the itinerary is first released and there are lots of choices. Keep an eye on prices, I have gotten some great deals that way. But once it is final payment, let it go.

Sometimes after final payment and the price drops, you might be able to upgrade from an OV to a balcony or a balcony to a suite for only a few dollars more.

The price on the cruise we will be doing went up after final paymet. I am very happy that I dont get an EXTRA payment because of this..

Ripped off or not - life is not fair. So many postings here on CC is PURE first world problems. All of us here at CC should take at least 5 minutes away from the keyboard and think about how darn lucky we are. We are amoung the few percentages of the world that is able to go on a CRUISE! Think about all of those people in the world that is struggeling with war and hunger. Stop whining! If you are so disappointed with what the cruiseline deliver as a product, then change company. Try something new, try landbased vacation... Just stop complaining!

I concur. I use a few other forums, when discussing politics etc I've actually linked to some of the threads on this forum to highlight how ridiculous some of these first world problems can actually be! :D

"Like"

On my first X Cruise, (TA) I booked a nice interior Cabin. Looked , but price drops never came. After, final payment Balcony cabins were available for less than my interior. I didn't get an upgrade, it's just the way it is. I was annoyed, because I didn't know any better. I sail SOLO.

I also was bamboozled and booked on board, but traded my booking for a holiday Cruise. X transferred my perks. Got the best cabin I could genuinely afford, fine by me. Hoping for price drops and none so far.

I feel very fortunate, that I am able to cruise. I only started cruising 3 years ago right after I Retired. I will be 55 in November, so yes very grateful.

By years end I will have completed cruise number six. What I have learned is the following, if I want to save money I book after final payment or better yet don't go. Or book in advance, when there is a Solo supplement sale.

Nothing is free and yes those perks like free laundry, cocktails etc from reaching status, you paid for those too.

Maybe X will feel sorry for me and upgrade me to a nice sky suite. [emoji851][emoji851][emoji851]. I won't hold my breath.

Happy cruising everyone. She wasn't ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RNC - what is the reason you have to make sense out of this? There you go, ruining my afternoon! Makes me want to go check to see if all 750 channels on my cable system are delivering what they said they would!

Never-the-less, thank you....

bon voyage

RNC - what is the reason you have to make sense out of this? There you go, ruining my afternoon! Makes me want to go check to see if all 750 channels on my cable system are delivering what they said they would!

Never-the-less, thank you....

bon voyage

Im really sorry, but Im a MEAN moralising Norwegian trying to ruin everyones weekend:)