Miss Manners question

stag

If the table is next to a window, sit side by side. That way both couples get some ocean view.

If the table is next to a wall, you can chose to sit across from each other on the inside or side by side. Don't sit across from each other on the outside so the other couple has to climb over you.

If the entire table has aisles on either side, sit however you want.

As for knowing which is your water & which is your bread, I was taught this trick: Make the OK sign with both hands (thumb & forefinger together forming a circle & other fingers straight up). You will notice that your left hand looks like a b. That is the side of your bread plate. Your right hand looks like a d. That is the side of your drink (water).

Why games about water glass and bread plate?

How hard is it to remember water on your right; bread on your left?

Seems easier than OK signs and both hands and straight up and the rest of it. :D

Water on your Right (Starboard)

Bread plate on your Left ( Port)

:)

As for knowing which is your water & which is your bread, I was taught this trick: Make the OK sign with both hands (thumb & forefinger together forming a circle & other fingers straight up). You will notice that your left hand looks like a b. That is the side of your bread plate. Your right hand looks like a d. That is the side of your drink (water).

Someone showed me this trick years ago. I still do it from time to time, under the table, if not sure [emoji2]

Why games about water glass and bread plate?

How hard is it to remember water on your right; bread on your left?

Seems easier than OK signs and both hands and straight up and the rest of it. :D

Water on your Right (Starboard)

Bread plate on your Left ( Port)

:)

For someone who has to think about left and right adding on another thing to that . . .

Some of us are more visual, but whatever works for you go for it!

Before we cruised so much, I never realized how many people could not keep straight which was their bread plate/which was their water glass. The only reason I ever cared was if I reached for my water glass and found the stranger seated beside me was drinking from it. :D It was awkward to ask the steward for another glass but what is one to do?

Be happy it was your water and not your wine! :D

LuLu

Him, we must be odd-couple out. I'm pretty sure we would sit across from each other. At least that's what we do when we go out with friends. To me, it seems more natural to be looking at my husband, rather than next to him.

No, you are not alone. My husband and I sat across from each other on our cruise. We were at a table for 8 with three other couples. All of the other couples also sat across from each other.

People don't know which is their left hand and which is their right?

I was not aware that was an issue for the vast majority of the population.

My apologies for not recognizing that is a real problem.

I never said I do not know right from left, I said that I need to think about it for a few seconds. My husband learned years ago when we are in the car to ask directions as driver or passenger side.

It is amazing how many people I have met through the years who are the same as I am. My sister in law looks at her hands to find the scar, others use various other tricks. BTW, some of the smartest people I know are this way and you would probably not realize it at all.

People don't know which is their left hand and which is their right?

I was not aware that was an issue for the vast majority of the population.

My apologies for not recognizing that is a real problem.

I don't see anyone saying it is a problem for a "vast majority of the population" but there are many people who have developed coping strategies for various reasons, including differentiating left from right.

No, you are not alone. My husband and I sat across from each other on our cruise. We were at a table for 8 with three other couples. All of the other couples also sat across from each other.

Ah yes. Obviously you too like to stare lovingly in to your husband's eyes? (Yup. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! :p;):eek::) )

Here is a diasgram of table for 4 in the dining room:

A B

--------

| Table |

--------

C D

On the first night of dining, when the first couple show up, should they take AB or AC or BD? Please do not suggest they swap seats later. What if

1. AC and BD sides are aisles?

2. AC side is wall and BD side is aisle?

3. AC side is window (ocean view) and BD side is aisle?

DH would be B, I would be A, or I would be D and DH would be C. That way I can see the table, hear what my DH is saying, and lip read if needed with the other couple.

It is amazing how many people I have met through the years who are the same as I am. My sister in law looks at her hands to find the scar, others use various other tricks. BTW, some of the smartest people I know are this way and you would probably not realize it at all.

You are definitely not alone in this! One trick I learned was to hold my hands out, point the thumbs out (90 degree angle from the hand), and the left one forms an "L" :) That'd be "left" :) Not recommended at 70 mph on a freeway :eek:

I am shocked at the issue it seems some otherwise competent people have in determining left from right. I have never heard it was an issue for any measurable segment of population.

Learn something new every day.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't want to sit at this table. I will ask to be seated at an 8 top, or I would go to the buffet.

:D LOL .... I don't much want to sit there either.

I'll opt for a two top as a solo at this point. :)

And bring my book..... ;) per the thread we had last week or so about should people read while eating in MDR. :D

Regarding seats at the table, sometimes common sense should rule. For example, first ones to arrive take the "back seats" if that makes sense, so that others don't have to get up to let people in. Dining room table seatings are often very tight.

Re glasses/bread plates - having lived a family with several lefties, try to understand that often lefties reach for the "wrong" glass/plate without even thinking - it's just habit. My mom, mother-in-law, husband, daughter, and now grandchildren are/were all lefties. They would subtly put things where they wanted them, only to have waiter put back, especially when re-filling drinks. So, please be kind - sometimes it is not because people don't know the rules.

Well, if at a large dinner party we sit side by side. However, when out on a date, we sit across from each other. I prefer to look at him then be right next to him.

I would equate being on a cruise to going to a dinner party.

Luckily we don't have to worry about this because we do anytime dining with our kids and the 4 of us sit together :)

<snip>

Re glasses/bread plates - having lived a family with several lefties, try to understand that often lefties reach for the "wrong" glass/plate without even thinking - it's just habit. My mom, mother-in-law, husband, daughter, and now grandchildren are/were all lefties. They would subtly put things where they wanted them, only to have waiter put back, especially when re-filling drinks. So, please be kind - sometimes it is not because people don't know the rules.

My sister was a leftie. :) :)

Also, when we have cruised in the past, before kids, when we were single. We'd sit at large tables. Then we would always sit in our same spots on the future nights. Not sure if that's still what people do...

Still done, though we try to resist it.

I think sometimes we over-think some things. I've never heard of a specific arrangement at a table, unless you're guests with assigned seating.

When it's just the 2 of us, we vary. Sometimes we sit side by side and sometimes across from each other. If we expect others to join us, we usually choose side by side, but if we arrive with others already seated, we sit wherever there are vacant seats. We just go with the flow.

We usually request a table for 2 though, so it's not usually an issue.

Edited by NoobCruise

I am shocked at the issue it seems some otherwise competent people have in determining left from right. I have never heard it was an issue for any measurable segment of population.

Learn something new every day.

I'm sure you didn't mean this to sound as harsh as it comes across. "Otherwise competent people"? Your post would have been "better" without the first sentence. (Underlining in original post above is mine.)

Edited by ithaca gal
Forgot explanation for underlining