Alaska one way or round trip???

californiacruiser

The round-trip Seattle cruises begin and end with redundant sea days that are all but guaranteed overcast and dreary on the open Pacific--contrary to Princess' description they do not sail through the actual Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and the British Columbia mainland. Only one day of glacier cruising (some sailings to Glacier Bay, some to Tracy Arm) and all have an afternoon arrival in Juneau.

The open-jaw cruises between Whittier and Vancouver have two days in the glaciers (Glacier Bay plus either College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier), a full day and evening in Juneau and a much more scenic sail-in or sail-away at Vancouver. Don't let the time and effort it takes flying in or out of Anchorage dissuade you from considering this option.

We've done both the southbound from Whittier and the roundtrip from Seattle. I liked both. If you're pressed for time, it's probably better to look at the roundtrip itineraries. I wouldn't recommend a one-way cruise unless you had at least three nights before or after your cruise to see a small bit of Alaska. Our cruise tour was five nights in Alaska before our cruise. The cost of airfare to or from Alaska plus the longer flights doesn't make doing a one-way cruise worth it to me without those extra days.

This May we are doing a one way north, Vancouver to Seward cruise. We are spending 2 nights in Vancouver as we have heard it is beautiful and we've never been.

7 night cruise on Celebrity - which we have been told does sail through the actual Inside Passage. We then have a six night post cruise tour (our first) and we end in Fairbanks.

If I didn't have the time to invest, a round trip would work -- but if you have the time - you need to see the interior of Alaska. :D

What is the real benefit from going one way south bound versus just doing a round trip?
Some additional thoughts....

• how are you getting to Anchorage? That plane ticket is as much as a one way cruise.
  • Also research HAL's Yukon/Denali option.... you travel halfway and then go over land and air between Skagway and Anchorage.

This May we are doing a one way north, Vancouver to Seward cruise. We are spending 2 nights in Vancouver as we have heard it is beautiful and we've never been.
Only 2 nights? We can help build a 2 week itinerary to keep you busy.

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Gcyt8Xdvsgs[/YOUTUBE]

I prefer the one ways as I prefer the itineraries! I also think it is much more beautiful up North.

For me, I have awful connections and do direct flights if I am flying to Vancouver or Anchorage so it doesn't matter if I fly to Anchorage as it doesn't seem that much longer.

We have been on quite a few cruises but have never done an Alaskan cruise but late July this year we will be doing a 7 night cruise northbound from Vancouver to Seward followed by a 6 night land tour ending up in Fairbanks with two of our grandkids. Looking forward to it. But we are planning on really liking it so just recently I booked a 14 night cruise on NCL in May 2017 from San Francisco that has 4 of the same ports but also 4 different ports than our cruise this year. It is not really a round trip because it ends up in Vancouver but I'm looking forward to both trips.

We've done both for different reasons - many of the reasons for each have already been listed. As an alternative to flying into Vancouver, you can fly into Victoria, spend time there, take the ferry to Vancouver (it's really a combo ferry/bus ride), spend time in Vancouver, then take a one way cruise and end the trip with more time in Alaska. That trip was fabulous.

We love Alaska, and more recently we've been pressed for time and wanted to fly in and out of the same city, so we did a round trip out of Seattle. This summer, we're doing the roundtrip out of San Francisco. Bottom line: no matter how you travel to Alaska, it's an amazing place. The more time you have in Alaska, the more amazed with the scenery, wildlife, and people you'll be.

The round-trip Seattle cruises begin and end with redundant sea days that are all but guaranteed overcast and dreary on the open Pacific--contrary to Princess' description they do not sail through the actual Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and the British Columbia mainland. Only one day of glacier cruising (some sailings to Glacier Bay, some to Tracy Arm) and all have an afternoon arrival in Juneau.

I'm looking over your list of cruises in your signature... have you actually done a RT Seattle cruise?

We have often had sunshine on those sea days and spent time by the pool. Yes, we've had overcast days too, but I would never say "dreary." Living in the PNW, we don't let a few clouds keep us from enjoying life.

Princess claims Inside Passage and they do sail the ALASKAN Inside Passage. Heck, all Alaskan cruises sail the inside passage. Too many people think it refers to sailing "inside" of Vancouver Island. That is not the "actual" inside passage. It is the Canadian portion of the inside passage.

Here is my two cents for what it is worth. The DW and I have sailed two roundtrips out of Vancouver and Seattle. We enjoyed SE Alaska. We enjoyed our trips. We booked a one-way this time due to wanting to see family and see other sights. Plus we get to see other ports along the way!

I will repeat what others say all the time... Choose the Alaska itinerary which fits what you want to see. Some people want to see glaciers while sipping wine on their balcony. Others want to hike in Denali national park and see wildlife. Still others want to go whale watching. Write down what you want to see or do and start there. A lot of times that will influence your decision.

Also choose the cruise that fits your budget the best. a lower cost cruise where you can do a ton of excursions may be the best option for some. others want a luxury experience on the ship and will walk around the ports.

What's good for me may not fit what is good for you. I have different likes and dislikes. HTH!

I will be doing a round trip this summer from Vancouver that will include a land tour and 2 different cruise lines. Don't think you can say you have been to Alaska and not include the interior. And there is really no all inclusive single itinerary that covers all of the coastline.

I've done two NB and two Seattle RTs w/ Tracy Arm. I prefer the itinerary of the NB (granted, SB is a little different...) over the itinerary of the RT: the "day and a half" to get used to the ship, the greater time in Juneau and Skagway, and the easier logistics of packing bags but doing the scenic viewing of College Fjord (again, I realize this is Hubbard Glacier when SB) beats the calm before the storm of day and a half to relax, then Ketchikan, then TA+Juneau and an early morning into Skagway and hurry hurry hurry to pack in what you want to do in Skagway before 49 hours of "nothing" on the way to Victoria, then another rush rush rush in Victoria (and the logistics of packing around it) before disembarking.

However, as an addicted hard-core photographer who lives ~40 minutes from the Seattle Pier 91, the costs/logistics of taking my gear on a cruise via car far outweigh the benefits of a one-way routing. For most others, the logistics aren't nearly the same challenge.