Drying clothes in the shower?

jeno

I am on the Reflection Spring TA that is 16 nights long. I am Elite so have some laundry included, but my friends don't. Has anyone come up with an easy way to hang a drying line in the shower for light items like underwear? When I cruise with my sailor husband, he has no trouble rigging a line up. It wouldn't be easy for me. I even really looked at it in fall, but don't think I'm up to it. Is there some type of line gizmo that others have used? Thanks for your help!

I am on the Reflection Spring TA that is 16 nights long. I am Elite so have some laundry included, but my friends don't. Has anyone come up with an easy way to hang a drying line in the shower for light items like underwear? When I cruise with my sailor husband, he has no trouble rigging a line up. It wouldn't be easy for me. I even really looked at it in fall, but don't think I'm up to it. Is there some type of line gizmo that others have used? Thanks for your help!

DON'T drip-dry your clothes; it'll take way too long. Try this instead:

Come back to your cabin after dinner and do your laundry. Lay a bath towel out and, after wringing out an item, lay it on that towel. ROLL the towel, and either put it on your balcony or in the shower. Repeat until all of your wash has been rolled.

Leave the clothing rolled overnight. In the morning, most of the moisture will be in the towel. Hang your wash to complete the drying process.

I am Elite too, but don't like having my jeans put in those HOT dryers. This method allows me to dry my jeans in 1 day.

NOTE: sometimes I use the pool towels, which are much larger....

Good luck!!!

DON'T drip-dry your clothes; it'll take way too long. Try this instead:

Come back to your cabin after dinner and do your laundry. Lay a bath towel out and, after wringing out an item, lay it on that towel. ROLL the towel, and either put it on your balcony or in the shower. Repeat until all of your wash has been rolled.

Leave the clothing rolled overnight. In the morning, most of the moisture will be in the towel. Hang your wash to complete the drying process.

I am Elite too, but don't like having my jeans put in those HOT dryers. This method allows me to dry my jeans in 1 day.

NOTE: sometimes I use the pool towels, which are much larger....

Good luck!!!

Good suggestion

I learned this one on "That Girl" with Marlo Thomas many years ago

I also hang a shirt or bras on a hanger and gang it on the hook in the shower until they stop dripping

This is but one of many lines available from travel stores and numerous other sources:

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Clothes-Suction/dp/B00004SRAJ

I have a similar model that has a hook, suction cup and velcro attachment strap at each end, giving me different rigging options. The line is braided, so you don't need clothes pegs, you just poke a bit of material through the line. Works like a charm.

I never thought about leaving the clothes rolled up overnight! I just roll already wrung-out items in the towel, then wring the towel out and hang the clothes on hangers in the closet. They usually dry overnight. Of course, I’m just talking lightweight stuff. We are able to mostly use the “free” laundry for heavy stuff.

Check out REI's website. They have a great stretchable (no pins required) travel clothesline. It has velcro straps, as well as suction cups, so you can easily hang it in a tub/shower enclosure. And yep -- my DH is a former Eagle Scout -- and he can remember how to do all those knots/hitches, too! :cool:

Another vote for suction cup clothes line and rolling in a towel first. I don't leave the items in the towel overnight, I roll them up, then walk on the roll to squeeze out the moisture. They usually dry overnight after that.

A cautionary tale from a friend who went on a trip with Tilley's 'two pairs will take you round the world' underwear. He washed out one pair and rolled them in a towel, then went for dinner. The maid cleaned his room and replaced his towels, including the one with his underwear rolled in it. After that he had to finish his trip with just one pair, which luckily did dry overnight!

Sheila

Another vote for suction cup clothes line and rolling in a towel first. I don't leave the items in the towel overnight, I roll them up, then walk on the roll to squeeze out the moisture. They usually dry overnight after that.

A cautionary tale from a friend who went on a trip with Tilley's 'two pairs will take you round the world' underwear. He washed out one pair and rolled them in a towel, then went for dinner. The maid cleaned his room and replaced his towels, including the one with his underwear rolled in it. After that he had to finish his trip with just one pair, which luckily did dry overnight!

Sheila

PRECISELY why you should do this AFTER turndown service. It is even risky to put the rolled towel(s) in the closet.

People will spend thousands of dollars on a cruise but won't spend $10 or $20 to have their clothes laundered. By doing a wash mid-cruise, you have less to pack and you get it done by a laundry service.

A week's worth of clothing will cost you a lot more than $10-$20 to send to the laundry, but my problem isn't with the cost, it's with the quality of the laundry service. I've had pants returned that would have made me look like Steve Urkel had I worn them!

All of the showers on cruise ship I have been have clothes line in them (NCL, RCL, MSC, etc) the lines are really high up , a cord will be able to pulled out of the wall and opposite there's a little hook thing that the cord slides in to. We dry underwear and swim suits and light tops. I will try the towel tip on the next cruise ☺

A week's worth of clothing will cost you a lot more than $10-$20 to send to the laundry, but my problem isn't with the cost, it's with the quality of the laundry service. I've had pants returned that would have made me look like Steve Urkel had I worn them!

I agree. I think everything is dried at high temperature. I have sent jeans and DH's underwear, but would not send anything delicate. The dry cleaning service is reasonably priced and delivers a good quality result, but I wouldn't say the same about the laundry.

People will spend thousands of dollars on a cruise but won't spend $10 or $20 to have their clothes laundered. By doing a wash mid-cruise, you have less to pack and you get it done by a laundry service.

Same here. As Elites, we have pretty generous laundry perks -- which we do make use of. But, anything with Lycra will not survive the heat of those commercial washers/dryers. My bathing suits and unmentionables are all rinsed out in the sink, wrung out in a towel, and hung in the shower/tub enclosure, to finish drying.

Thought I was the only one who rolled laundry in towels. I also use the wooden hangers in the closet with metal clips. Hang them on the hinge on the doors and hooks on wall. Never cruise without plastic multi-hooks bought at Dollar Tree that slide on closet and bathroom doors. Like Fouremco, there are some articles that I prefer to wash myself.

All of the showers on cruise ship I have been have clothes line in them (NCL, RCL, MSC, etc) the lines are really high up , a cord will be able to pulled out of the wall and opposite there's a little hook thing that the cord slides in to. We dry underwear and swim suits and light tops. I will try the towel tip on the next cruise ☺

The shower enclosures in many of the Celebrity cabins have no clothes line, thus the OP's query.

Never been on Celebrity but will be next year. If you send your laundry out, can you add a note to the ticket requesting they use cold water and low heat? We've done that on HAL and it works great.

Agree about rolling stuff in towels. Then we put them on hangers like Cancruz described. If we have a balcony, we put the hangars outside if there is sun, that helps a lot. But you do have to be careful that any wind doesn't take them away!! We use the patio door hinges and chair backs for hangers.

ML

Here is what worked well for me on the Reflection a couple of weeks ago. I brought a small box of travel Woolite packets and several 2-gallon zip lock bags to wash our clothes in. You could probably just use the sink, but it was very shallow and you can get a lot better agitation if you use the bags.

I attached an adjustable bungee clothesline with Nite Ize Gear Ties to one side of shower doors (they will still close if you attach it to very center). I attached the other side of the clothesline with a carabiner to the metal bar on one of the open shelves beside the sink.

line.jpg

I also brought a few 2 in plastic coated wire clips because they work a little better than just sticking things through the bungee clothes line.

line-2.jpg

After washing our clothes, I would roll everything up in a towel to remove the excess water before hanging it up. This clothesline setup was really sturdy. Also, it may sound like a lot, but all of my laundry stuff (except the 2-gallon bags) packs into a quart size zip lock bag.

line3-1.jpg

2016Caribbean02#6253244098625208066

Edited by SerraG

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I take good care of my clothes, and wouldn't dream of sending them to the Celebrity laundry.

Not even if it was FREE.... Not everything that is free is worth it. My opinion.

Celebrity M-class ships have clothes lines, S-class do not