sound machine on cruise

creel5857

We are going on HAL trip this summer and I cant get answer in other areas of message board and need some help. Does anyone know if you can take small sound/noise machine in carryon luggage? I know that sounds crazy on this board but cant get answer from airlines.....one employee "thought it was ok" and the other time I called the employee did not know what a sound machine/noise maker was.....any help appreciated......trying to save weight in my checked luggage

We are going on HAL trip this summer and I cant get answer in other areas of message board and need some help. Does anyone know if you can take small sound/noise machine in carryon luggage? I know that sounds crazy on this board but cant get answer from airlines.....one employee "thought it was ok" and the other time I called the employee did not know what a sound machine/noise maker was.....any help appreciated......trying to save weight in my checked luggage

I don't see why it would be a problem. While I don't take one on a cruise I use one at home. Can't see why it would be restricted.

thanks for responses and help to my questions.......just don't want to get in trouble with security somewhere since I will be going into Canada as well as US airports

You will need to take it out of your carry-on when going thru security....just like you would with a laptop computer....

Extension cords are available on the ship....ask your room steward or call HAL's ship services before your cruise to reserve one....

You will need to take it out of your carry-on when going thru security....just like you would with a laptop computer....

Extension cords are available on the ship....ask your room steward or call HAL's ship services before your cruise to reserve one....

Or not.

My last few times through TSA they were treating everyone the same as TSA-Precheck and having everyone leave everything in their carry-ons, laptops, electronics, liquids etc.

You never know what performance of Security Theater you will get.

I use an app called White Noise by TMSoft. I have it on both my ipad and my android smart phone. It has a bunch of sounds to choose from, from ocean, to rain, to different frequencies that are constant. It works great and I don't have to drag another device around. I highly recommend it!

Edited by NoobCruise

I use an app called White Noise by TMSoft. I have it on both my ipad and my android smart phone. It has a bunch of sounds to choose from, from ocean, to rain, to different frequencies that are constant. It works great and I don't have to drag another device around. I highly recommend it!

I'll second this. My wife has a portable sound machine we used to travel with, then I got an app on my iPod, and pair that with a tiny, collapsible portable speaker, and it really does the job. The speaker cost less than $20. on Amazon, collapses to less than the size of a woman's compact, and is great. The quality of the sound is much better than the speaker built into the Apple device.

I'll second this. My wife has a portable sound machine we used to travel with, then I got an app on my iPod, and pair that with a tiny, collapsible portable speaker, and it really does the job. The speaker cost less than $20. on Amazon, collapses to less than the size of a woman's compact, and is great. The quality of the sound is much better than the speaker built into the Apple device.

Great idea! Would you provide link to the collapsible speaker you bought?

Edited by Cincylady77

We take our travel size Sharper Image sound machine (which we've owned for many years) in our carry on bags to airports all over the world. We've never been questioned about it or made to take it out of our bag while going through security. The sound machine is also a clock radio.

Not sure why security would make you take it out of a bag.

A very good app is Rain, Rain. Many different sounds including ocean waves, jungle sounds. Promotes good sleep. I use it on the cruise ship when there is too much going on outside the cabin.

I use it with iPad and iPhone from the App Store. Also is on goggle play store for android. Free.

If you need more volume, a "Jam" is good. Available on Amazon. Works Bluetooth or cable from earphone jack, goes a long time between charges.

I use a Marsona sound machine. Most times, I pack extra batteries in its carry bag. I've taken it on about 30 round-trip flights and 16 cruises. I've never had to take it out of luggage, checked or carry-on. Never asked or questioned about it. It didn't matter if I was on the pre-screened or regular TSA line.

A very good app is Rain, Rain. Many different sounds including ocean waves, jungle sounds. Promotes good sleep. I use it on the cruise ship when there is too much going on outside the cabin.

I use it with iPad and iPhone from the App Store. Also is on goggle play store for android. Free.

If you need more volume, a "Jam" is good. Available on Amazon. Works Bluetooth or cable from earphone jack, goes a long time between charges.

We take Jam with us, works well.

Great idea! Would you provide link to the collapsible speaker you bought?

I messed-up the link, but the item is the Kinivo ZX100 Mini Portable Speaker. It's currently on Amazon for $11.69. It is an amazing product. It comes with a multi-purpose mini cord, recharges from a USB port, plays for hours and hours, connects via the earphone mini-jack. This thing has been with us from Europe to Alaska to French Polynesia, has never failed, holds a charge forever, sounds great. Obviously it won't fill a room with sound, but you don't want that on a cruise - at night it's perfect for noise or quiet go-to-sleep music without disturbing adjoining cabins. Good luck.

thanks for all the comments.....we are some of the senior citizen folks who don't have smart phones (sorry, I know many of you gasped just now) so we will just have to take our sound machine this time.....but one day we might get new phone so thanks for the ideas how the phone is simpler

thanks for all the comments.....we are some of the senior citizen folks who don't have smart phones (sorry, I know many of you gasped just now) so we will just have to take our sound machine this time.....but one day we might get new phone so thanks for the ideas how the phone is simpler

Gasp! You are not alone (we have a few friends in the same position). Until a year ago we were also among the "smartless" folks..but finally got shamed into buying an iPhone by DW. Am a techie with the best home network, computers, etc....but never saw a need for a Smartphone. Now, it is somewhat addicting and very handy when traveling.

Hank

We have a white noise machine that we pack in our checked luggage. I put it in a larger zip-lock bag, ensuring there is air in the bag to provide a cushion. Then I just surround it with rolls of t-shirts, etc, and we haven't had a problem. Ours works either on batteries or power cord, so it is easily used in cruise cabins where there may only be 1 outlet on the other side of the room.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Not a problem. If you want to save luggage space, look for a white noise app for your phone or tablet. (You'll want to try a free version of an app that has a paid version. The $2.99 you'll spend once you find an app you like will pay for itself in one or two sets of batteries.)