Best Food Experiences on Oceania ??

curtdesilets

I still love the Miso Glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger!

And in the MDR of the R-class ships, you will also occasionally be offered the Miso-glazed sea bass.

Not sure if it is the same exact quality...but, IMHO, it does seem to taste as good as the ones from Red Ginger on the O-class ships.

I still love the Miso Glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger!

Check! That, although had a lot of sodium, and the calamari.

Shrimp Tempura appetizer and Rack of Lamb in the MDR.

Reuben Sandwich in Waves

None to die for, but all very tasty. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

I saw your post before anyone had answered but opted out because as has been said -- this is so subjective. I love the prime rib in Polo, that doesn't mean you would.

But let's just talk about breakfast in the GDR. We love the lamb chops and eggs benedict. If you like omelets, let them know how you like them cooked. I like them soft but they tend to come out "firm". If you like them firm, you don't have to specify ... if you like them soft, let the server know.

I have to say we love the breakfasts in the GDR on all of the ships. And if your cruise has the special super-duper buffet breakfast (I think usually on a Sunday). You can order off the menu or go around to all the tables, but from personal experience I would say go to the tables first! I ate so much from the menu that when I went to get more from the tables I was overwhelmed.

I loved the mussels in Jacques but I understand they have stopped serving them. Bummer. I think you will just have to look at menus and decide for yourself.)

If you have the option for an evening in La Reserve (and the surcharge isn't a problem), I highly recommend doing so.

Mura

Lamb chops for breakfast 😎

Every evening when discussing breakfast for the next morning, I would say that I was going to get the lamb chops. Then every morning, I was either embarrassed to order them, or they did not appeal to me. :o Since I missed out, what are they like? Petite? Any sauce?

My favorite thing to have in the mornings, and only on cruises, is the salmon with cream cheese and capers. I also liked the bacon and yogurt parfaits on Oceania. Had Mueslix one morning and it was very good. Omelet was not great, I guess it was overdone.

Every evening when discussing breakfast for the next morning, I would say that I was going to get the lamb chops. Then every morning, I was either embarrassed to order them, or they did not appeal to me. :o Since I missed out, what are they like? Petite? Any sauce?

My favorite thing to have in the mornings, and only on cruises, is the salmon with cream cheese and capers. I also liked the bacon and yogurt parfaits on Oceania. Had Mueslix one morning and it was very good. Omelet was not great, I guess it was overdone.

You missed out on the lamb chops! They are petite, no sauce.

I love the salmon with cream cheese and capers as well ...

If you like soft omelets, as I do, then your mistake was just ordering an omelet. It took me a long time to figure out that I needed to ask them for one that wasn't cooked so well!

Mura

Yes, but it could take a while to come. The server would have to order it from the bar.

You missed out on the lamb chops! They are petite, no sauce.

I love the salmon with cream cheese and capers as well ...

If you like soft omelets, as I do, then your mistake was just ordering an omelet. It took me a long time to figure out that I needed to ask them for one that wasn't cooked so well!

Mura

The eggs were always so soft, never occurred to me to order a soft omelet. They are normally soft and fluffy. I will remember that, and the lamb, if I sail on Oceania again.

I do not think I have seen that before :eek:

:D Forgot to put a comma between bacon, and yogurt parfait. The parfait had fruit and granola. A lot of places, the bacon is limp and undercooked. Oceanias was cooked just right.

Best dishes on Oceania:

Croissants, Pain au chocolat, lamb chops at breakfast

Lyons style sausage starter in Jacques

Dover Sole Meuniere at Jacques

Pasta San Gemino in Toscano

Grilled Veal Chop with Wild Mushroom Sauce in Toscana

Lemon Veal Scallopine in Toscana

Lobster Fri Diablo over Linguini in Toscana

Octopus Carpaccio in Toscana

Ossobuco in Toscana

Ravioli di Cocoa in Toscana

The whole Maine Lobster in Polo

Crab cakes in Polo

Trilogy of Homemade Marshmallows in Polo

Miso Glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger

Lobster Pad Thai, Red Ginger

Duck and Watermelon Salad in Red Ginger

Kobe burger at Waves grill

Chocolate croissants with Cafe Americano, Baristas

since it hasn't been mentioned yet it might just be me, but I always especially enjoy the 'Iberico de bellota double pork chop' at Polo. I believe these are heritage breed pigs whose main diet is chestnuts - very special and tasty! And unusual, since most of them become jamon (cured).

As for bacon, see my signature...

since it hasn't been mentioned yet it might just be me, but I always especially enjoy the 'Iberico de bellota double pork chop' at Polo. I believe these are heritage breed pigs whose main diet is chestnuts - very special and tasty! And unusual, since most of them become jamon (cured).

As for bacon, see my signature...

Since you mentioned this particular pork, IME it has always been better prepared at Jacques than in Polo. Polo's tends to be too dry (well done) while Jacques' is juicy and tender (med rare) - at least in my experience:)

Here are my favorites:

Jacques (favorite restaurant) - foie gras X 2, crab salad, Iberico pork & lobster thermidore, plain baguettes (usually fresher here than elsewhere on the ship but great everywhere)

Polo - jumbo shrimp cocktail & crab cake, Maine lobster

Toscana - calamari & "Wiener schnitzel" a la Toscana (breaded veal chop)

RG - calamari, spicy shrimp & lobster pad thai

Terrace Cafe - lobster tails & lobster salad, chicken pot-stickers with sweet chili sauce(+ several others :D) + croissants & almond croissants @ breakfast

Tea - Paris - Brest (https://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/en/recipe/paris-brest.html)

Edited by Paulchili

lis1407

Quote:

Originally Posted by janecambridge View Post

Could I order mimosa with breakfast?

HI

Yes You can,but only with bacon

I have actually had a Bloody Mary with a stick of bacon in it. :cool:

I see you live in Antwerp. :) I believe that DH and I will be visiting there in May on a day trip from Amsterdam. We can't decide on Brussels, Antwerp or Bruges. We plan to take the train. Looking forward to seeing a touch of Belgium where ever we end up. ;)