Man overboard on Navigator

It's usually a euphemism for the benefit of family and friends. It's up there with "foul play is not suspected" and "single vehicle collision" and "at home, tragically". While it's unlikely his family will be reading this, a little tact and sensitivity wouldn't go astray.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam,

Very nice post, including the sentiment at the end. Condolences to his family, should they ever read this thread.

................since they use "Oscar,Oscar,Oscar" as a signal for man overboard do you think that Oscar was one of the first people to jump overboard?

It is a sad incident but this comment made me smile. :)

His surname was Phonetic.

................since they use "Oscar,Oscar,Oscar" as a signal for man overboard do you think that Oscar was one of the first people to jump overboard?

Yes, if we look back over thousands of years of people sailing across bodies of water, it was definitely Oscar who was the first man overboard. :rolleyes:

It's been a rough couple of weeks for RCI. First the issues with the Anthem, then the champagne cork incident, and now this. I will pray for his family 😥

Bad publicity for sure. Good for the snake cruise lawyer- absolutely.

Were any of these incidents preventable for RCI- unlikely.

If a person wants to jump off a ship he will do so and, short of physically restraining him, there's nothing the ship's staff can do about it.

But I wonder if he'd have jumped if he'd been able to talk to a counselor beforehand. Perhaps the cruiselines should have a trained counselor on board to deal with passengers' emotional problems.

If a person wants to jump off a ship he will do so and, short of physically restraining him, there's nothing the ship's staff can do about it.

But I wonder if he'd have jumped if he'd been able to talk to a counselor beforehand. Perhaps the cruiselines should have a trained counselor on board to deal with passengers' emotional problems.

Although this would be ideal, I don't think it is too realistic. I think most suicides (if that is even this case)....stop and say, "maybe I should go speak to a counselor." :( I mean, do they even think about the people they leave behind and what it does to them. Who knows. Just very sad. The Coast Guard called off the search last night.

Although this would be ideal, I don't think it is too realistic. I think most suicides (if that is even this case)....stop and say, "maybe I should go speak to a counselor." :( I mean, do they even think about the people they leave behind and what it does to them. Who knows. Just very sad. The Coast Guard called off the search last night.

before ya know it they'll require EVERY railing to have a sign "if thinking about jumping, call this number" like every tall bridge in the US.

So what term should the media use to describe the initial reporting of a person who has gone overboard?

So what if they say "fell overboard?" Does is really even matter? For anyone to get upset about that, I think, is splitting hairs. Personally, I don't care what term the media uses.

As already noted it would probably not be too effective to have a counselor onboard when you decide at the spur of the moment to jump over a railing.

However, thinking back to a number of cruises we have been on, there are several people we can remember who could have definitely been helped by having some counseling.:o

Perhaps RCL and other lines might make that another profit center.

Condolences to the relatives in this sad event

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

before ya know it they'll require EVERY railing to have a sign "if thinking about jumping, call this number" like every tall bridge in the US.

.................I would think that they (the cruise lines) could wrap the entire ship with netting to catch all those who "fall":rolleyes: overboard much like those numb skulls did in San Francisco........now what would be the call for the crew if the nets would catch some unfortunate soul? :confused:

Completely unrealistic. If someone wants to commit suicide, they're going to do it. Plus, unless you have a medical doctor sign commitment papers to confine the person to a secure facility, there's nothing stopping the person from going and jumping after they've talked.

I speak from experience- apprehend a person under the relevant mental health statute, take them to hospital for a psych assessment, they say the magic words that keeps them from being committed- next thing you know you get a call on the radio or an email message saying that so and so has done themselves in.

Sad, but true. It's happened to me different times. While I applaud your thought process, it isn't really a solution.

Footage from the ship will be turned over to the FBI to review. If it shows him climbing over the rails, there's nothing more that can be done. When you cruise or fly, there's no box to check that you have any mental issues when you board or what will make you take your life at a particular time/place.

Edited by Plum Happy

More information posted on this story today, including additional testimony from a couple of onboard passengers:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3479650/PICTURED-Man-46-fell-overboard-Caribbean-cruise-passengers-saw-arguing-mother.html

Thank you for the article. Maybe it's just me...but I really don't think it was any of our business that he had a DUI and DWI. That had nothing to do with this incident....my heart is broken for his mom. I can't even imagine what she is going through.

Edited by champagne123
ffffff