Man overboard on Navigator

Was on the ship in question when the incident occurred. Wish people would stop posting speculations and rumors as several things stated on this thread are incorrect. Will not post what I was told out of respect for the family.

but it's CC, it wouldn't be normal if there wasn't any conclusion jumping or rumors or "Sea lawyers" posting inaccurate information.

While it is terrible, you can never tell anything from a short chit-chat with someone. You don't know him, really. Others were just pointing out that there are only a couple of possibilities and the reality is, it's impossible to just fall overboard without something else being involved.

Over the ten years we've been cruising, everyone who has been reported as fallen off have either been drunk and did something stupid or intentionally went over. No one can just be walking along and trip and go over the side. The media always says "fall" just like they always say "alleged".

Very well said.

Rick

So what term should the media use to describe the initial reporting of a person who has gone overboard?

Why not use "gone" overboard as you phrased it. Keeps things sufficently vague as it appears that officially no one knows how the person left the ship.

Why not use "gone" overboard as you phrased it. Keeps things sufficently vague as it appears that officially no one knows how the person left the ship.

If there is no gang plank leading to a pier there are not many options for leaving the ship.

There are at least 2 people who have already reported on this topic who were actually aboard the ship.

It would seem they have the most current/realistic information as to the event.

One does not want to post the details they know (and we can respect that), while the other simply indicated the Captain announced the passenger jumped from the ship (as opposed to fell, as reported by much of the mainstream media so far).

Likely, more details will be released once they are collected by the authorities and Royal itself.

For now, anything else is speculation. Condolences to anyone related to or who knows this passenger. It is a loss regardless of the circumstances.

On the other thread which was started yesterday, a person who was on the cruise, reported he was with his Mother. Myself until I hear the actual events that happened, choose not to speculate on how this happened. This is very sad indeed and I feel badly for the family of this man.

Agree with many of you! We don't know what actually happened.

There could have been lots of reasons.

Last year a man on a Carnival ship decided to sit on his balcony railing and take his picture with his "selfie".

He lost his balance and fell overboard!

Last year a man on a Carnival ship decided to sit on his balcony railing and take his picture with his "selfie".

...................should have purchased a "selfie stick".........

Was on the ship in question when the incident occurred. Wish people would stop posting speculations and rumors as several things stated on this thread are incorrect. Will not post what I was told out of respect for the family.

Okay I can respect that you do not want to share what you know. What was your point in posting?

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I HATE when the media uses those words "fell off". People actually believe it can happen! He is a jumper!

And it's not just a Fox News thing. They ALL do it :rolleyes:

No legit news agency will ever call a death a suicide until investigators use it as the cause of death. They might say investigators are investigating a possible suicide, if officials report that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Okay I can respect that you do not want to share what you know. What was your point in posting?

Reader

................maybe to insinuate "Nah, nah....I know something you don't know".......plus that alleged conversation is just hear-say..........:cool:

Was told by whom? A cruise ship is a minefield of rumours from people supposedly in the know. Crew, passengers, officers. In fact it's probably the quickest way for Chinese whispers to spread.

Perhaps people posting speculation would stop if someone posted the actual facts, if they had them. That would stop the speculation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But MOST of us know better than to sit on the balcony rail. Exhibit A for "stupid things" - and surely a signal that he should be the recipient of a Darwin Award.