Recent photos of empress of the seas in dry dock

The ship traveled to dry dock as the property of Pullmantur as Empress and the ship will leave dry dock the property of RCI as Empress of the Seas, both companies held by RCL.

They did stop for 6 hours at Las Palmas, Gran Canaria and most likely left off the remaining Pullmantur crew.

RCL has signed a long term contract with Navantia the Spanish government owned shipyard that will include ships or RCI, Celebrity, Pullmantur and TUI Cruises and Azamara.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navantia

I found a Spanish language article from this week and ran it through google translate. The article talks about Empress's eminent departure.

http://www.lavozdigital.es/cadiz/provincia/lvdi-astillero-cadiz-bate-record-este-docena-obras-cruceros-201603152216_noticia.html

Tailwind blowing in the area of repairs Navantia. The Cadiz shipyard has become an international benchmark in maintenance and repairing boats. One of his great achievements has been the cruise market. The gaditanas facilities have finally managed to capture the attention of the entertainment companies. Lavoz have confirmed that Navantia has closed between January and April this year, six agreements to reform cruises in the factory of the capital. In addition, trading right now with several shipping companies signed four contracts for work carried out between September and October. The workload at the shipyard in Cadiz is guaranteed.

Cadiz shipyard opened 2016 with the entry into the dock four 'Aida Cara' Aida shipping company, which belongs to Carnival. The ship arrived on January 26 Bay to undergo a facelift that lasted two weeks. The result of this work has been congratulated by Carnival executives. Do not forget that Navantia is three years behind this American company to reach an agreement that guarantees the repair of a part of its fleet in Cadiz, similar to that signed in April last year with Royal Caribbean. This agreement, signed on April 15, 2015, guarantees over the next five years in Cadiz repair of the fleet operating in the Mediterranean.

Navantia is now ensure workload for year end Pullmantur and Wind Star

The relationship between Royal Caribbean and Navantia began in November 2011 when the shipping delegated Spanish shipyard modernization 'Splendour of the Seas'. The shipyard in Cadiz met in record time, a month, the installation of a 'Dovetail' on the boat to increase stability and coordinated the modification of more than one hundred cabins, as well as the extension of the bridge wings control.

Royal Caribbean also used to remodel all areas of leisure boat. This work was an important guarantee for Navantia. The shipping was very satisfied with the result and the following year sent the Cadiz plant to 'Grandeur' and 'Serenade'.

The relationship between Navantia and Royal Caribbean continues to rise. The second cruise is repaired at the shipyard in Cadiz in so far this year is precisely the 'Empress', which came on February 25 and leave the dam Wednesday. Indeed, this cruise has undergone a profound transformation, because in less than twenty days has changed image, ie, he entered as a Pullmantur ship and comes off as a Royal Caribbean cruise. They are the same company, but the concept cruise is different and logo, too. The 'Empress' has passed in November 2012 by the Cadiz factory for a technical grounding. Now, her transformation has been integral. Some 1,500 people have participated in the work, which has generated significant benefits to the hospitality center of the capital. As a curiosity, taxi service has installed a permanent stop at the door of the shipyard to customer demand.

Luxury boats

The output of the 'Empress' Wednesday opens the door to a new calendar works in the Cadiz plant that will not cease until the summer. Thus, the third cruise is expected in the dam is 'The World', better known as the ship of millionaires. It will remain at the factory between March 29 and April 15 to address a draft work consisting in the renovation of their tanks and the fitting of several of its rooms. The company Reside Sea Ltd, which belongs this cruise, again repeated his beached in Cadiz. It did in April 2013. The ship millionaires was built in 2002 by Norwegian designers and Bjørn Petter Yran Storbraaten and had an estimated cost of 300 million euros. It has 165 private accommodation for those paid between one and more than six million-excluding travel costs, maintenance and maintenance- by acquisition or between 1,000 and 4,000 euros per rental day.

Yacht companies also set high standing in the Cadiz plant for reforms

The activity at the shipyard in the capital continues. Their dams are full during the spring. Thus, on April 2 will remain in the factory another luxury cruise for a puntual.Se reform is the 'Wind Star, a sailboat high standing of the company Wind Star Cruises. The work will conclude on April 16. It is a four-masted sailing ship with capacity for 148 people, housed in 78 cabins.

Navantia operators will have little time to condition the dam. The output of 'Wind Star' match input 'Mein Shiff', a cruise of the Tui Cruises. The ship will stay ten days for a proper inspection and adjustment.

However, one of the most anticipated repairs is to be produced between 20 April and 11 May. The shipyard in Cadiz will receive the 'World Odyssey', an old acquaintance of Navantia, as this boat was the subject of a strong controversy in November 2014 when it operated under the name of 'MS Deutschland'.Su owner Peter Deilmann the German company, reached an agreement with Navantia for comprehensive reform in Cádiz.Se is a boat, which specializes in river cruises and its former owner intended to change the appearance of the boat. This contract was never carried out. The ship is now returning to the Bay, but with a new owner, the American Asociate Cruises, and by another name. It will dock in Cadiz until 11 May.

The 'MS Deutschland' returns to the capital with a new name and a new owner after the setback of 2014

The negotiations are still open. Navantia last arrangements now for a new contract with the company Thomson, who last October brought Cadiz cruiser Dream'.Además, is expected to repeat in September the Disney Cruises, this time with the 'Disney Wonder, while Royal Caribbean to further confirm the beached in October 'Rahapsody of the Seas', while Pullmatur expected reform the 'Zenith' in November

Tour operators in Cadiz shipyard seek security, speed and confidence. Royal Caribbean, for example, has brought to the Bay since 2011 a total of eight cruises to undertake specific works.

Navantia was forced in 2009 to diversify its business on reparations after announcing the Spanish Armada cancel their investment plans in the renewal of the fleet. Until then, the Ministry of Defense was the main customer of the shipping company, but the crisis and budget adjustments led the Navy to suspend their investments, forcing the company to seek other sources of income. Thus it began his foray into the market for the repair of cruise ships. The first company that used the services of Navantia was IberoCruceros, who signed a contract in 2009 for the repair of 'Grand Voyager'.

The Navantia revitalizations of Splendour, Serenade, Vision, Grandeur, Allure and Explorer have all been very well received and I am sure that they will do yet again an excellent job with Empress.

I found a Spanish language article from this week and ran it through google translate. The article talks about Empress's eminent departure.

http://www.lavozdigital.es/cadiz/provincia/lvdi-astillero-cadiz-bate-record-este-docena-obras-cruceros-201603152216_noticia.html

The article states 'La salida del ‘Empress’ este miércoles' or "The departure of Empress this Wednesday". If this was published on the 15th that seems to indicate that Empress would have left following the 16th. It would seem unlikely they mean the 23rd of March. Hopefully we will see Empress sail on marine traffic soon.

The ship left Brazil to go to Cadiz, Spain for Drydock. Was not already in Europe prior to Drydock.

So Brazil to Spain; +/- 4500 nautical miles. Spain to Miami; +/- 4000 nautical miles.

I too wondered why the ship did not go to Freeport:confused: Brazil to Freeport; Freeport to Miami is roughly half the total distance of drydocking in Cadiz. Maybe they work real cheap there, because that's a not insignificant amount of fuel burned.

I wasn't aware the ship had been in South America. The reasons then would be either, the contract Madflyer mentions, the unavailability of a time slot in Freeport, or saving the cost of freighting all the materials from Europe to Freeport. If they were doing major cabin restructuring (I believe), then there would have been much more material, made by the experienced manufacturers of the cabin panels or complete cabins in Europe, so freight cost would be substantial.

The ship 'title' has been transfered now to a holding company called 'Nordic Empress Shipping Inc". All of the RCL ships are transfering over to this type of single ship ownership arrangeent. Pullmantur is still the listed company and the documents have not yet been transfered to RCI. RCI is lited as the ship manager now.

What is interesting is that the ship regestry is still at Malta. I wonder if they will change that?

https://exchange.dnv.com/Exchange/main.aspx?extool=vessel&subview=summary&vesselid=g107404

Virtually every ship in the world is actually "owned" by a separate corporation within the parent company. It is a liability issue. If there is a disaster like the Concordia, the remaining ships of the fleet cannot be seized as assets to pay for damages.

As to the ship's registry, I would say that in most cases RCI would change the registry, since the Maltese registry has a very poor reputation in the maritime industry, and P&I insurance costs depend to a degree on the flag state and class society chosen. I don't know the official relationship between the Bahamas and Cuba, but it may be that Bahamian flag ships are not welcomed in Cuba, where the Empress is headed, correct?

... I don't know the official relationship between the Bahamas and Cuba, but it may be that Bahamian flag ships are not welcomed in Cuba, where the Empress is headed, correct?

Yes, all indications point to Empress going to Cuba. Interesting about the potential flag state relationship.

Yes, all indications point to Empress going to Cuba. Interesting about the potential flag state relationship.

Just speculation on my part. It may be that registry will not shift until the yard is completed, as new flag state documentation would be based on the completion of class surveys done during the yard.

I see that Celestyal Crystal, doing Cuba cruises is flagged in Malta as well, but MSC Opera is Panamanian.

Too bad there aren't any photos of the stern. They have to weld the homeport name in place, so even if they just paint "Valetta", they are ready to repaint when the ship changes. When we reflagged the Norwegian Sky to Pride of Aloha, Honolulu was welded on the stern, but the documents didn't change until the last day, after we had left the yard.

Question: Is there another location on the ship in addition to the stern that the homeport is welded on or punch-marked?

Typically, no, but I seem to remember seeing some ships with the homeport on the nameboards by the bridge, but not real common. The ship's name and IMO registration number and gross tonnage is welded on the "main beam", an archaic term that has come to mean a large frame member somewhere in the engineering spaces.

Typically, no, but I seem to remember seeing some ships with the homeport on the nameboards by the bridge, but not real common. The ship's name and IMO registration number and gross tonnage is welded on the "main beam", an archaic term that has come to mean a large frame member somewhere in the engineering spaces.

Thanks @chenkkp75

I wonder if the lifeboats have the homeport marked on them? It would make sense if they did.

Edited by DeepSeaDiver1000

Thanks @chenkkp75

I wonder if the lifeboats have the homeport marked on them? It would make sense if the did.

They are, but this is just painted, not a permanent thing, which is why I sort of excluded that from my thought process. Liferings can also optionally be marked with the homeport as well as ship's name.

Have another update for you guys regarding empress.

Ship moved from the drydock to quayside during the night. Last minute preparations are still being made for a departure today however could still leave tomorrow. Royal have given more than enough time for the ship to arrive on schedule on March 27th in Miami for the final crew training and what I have been told is also a US coastguard inspection before returning to service.

Ship moved from the drydock to quayside during the night. Last minute preparations are still being made for a departure today however could still leave tomorrow. Royal have given more than enough time for the ship to arrive on schedule on March 27th in Miami for the final crew training and what I have been told is also a US coastguard inspection before returning to service.

Thanks for the update.

Yes, since the ship has not been to a US port in several years, and since it has had extensive work done in the shipyard, the USCG would definitely place the Empress on the priority inspection list. It could be extensive, and long, if the crew are not familiar enough with locations, equipment, and duties, but I'm sure they are training on the transit. Most likely why RCI has allowed 3 days for training.

I had thought they would switch the registration to the Bahamas. The ship from today appears as Empress of the Seas and not just Empress at Marine traffic dot com.

The Bahamas have had diplomatic relations with Cuba since 1974, soon after joining the United Nations, and those ties were strengthened in the late 1980's, with many Bahamians traveling, developing economic ties and studying in Cuba.

That said, Malta also has very strong ties with Cuba and cultural and humanitarian and economic ties have been greatly extended in recent years. As a member of the EU, Malta have advocated improved relations with Cuba, while also implementing new stronger regulations on vessels registered in Malta.

I really don't understand why everyone is so concerend about ship registration, who has ties to what countries, etc.

It has nothing to do with anything.

Ship registration has everything to do with....Taxes and regulations. Thats it.

It doesnt matter where the ship is registered. If it sails from a US port, it can't go to Cuba until the the Tourism ban is lifted. bottom line. Doesnt matter where its registered.

I really don't understand why everyone is so concerend about ship registration, who has ties to what countries, etc.

It has nothing to do with anything.

Ship registration has everything to do with....Taxes and regulations. Thats it.

It doesnt matter where the ship is registered. If it sails from a US port, it can't go to Cuba until the the Tourism ban is lifted. bottom line. Doesnt matter where its registered.

No, but it might have something to do with a ship that does not sail from a US port being allowed into Cuba. But my larger concern with ship's registry is the less than stellar reputation of the Maltese flag registry, which by the way is the 6th largest in the world. I agree with Madflyer that Malta is working to improve things, but their reputation has been badly tarnished, and they have a lot of work to get up to EU standards.

No, but it might have something to do with a ship that does not sail from a US port being allowed into Cuba. But my larger concern with ship's registry is the less than stellar reputation of the Maltese flag registry, which by the way is the 6th largest in the world. I agree with Madflyer that Malta is working to improve things, but their reputation has been badly tarnished, and they have a lot of work to get up to EU standards.

my understand is that every royal ship is registered in the Bahama's, don't see why the Empress would be different/why it wouldnt be switched over.

my understand is that every royal ship is registered in the Bahama's, don't see why the Empress would be different/why it wouldnt be switched over.

It apparently has, but one poster stated that she was still listed in ship's registers as being flagged in Malta. There is no rule saying that all of a company's ships have to be flagged the same. As I stated, typically the transfer of flag state happens at the very end of the shipyard, when all the class and flag state inspections are completed, so it probably happened late yesterday or today, if she is underway.

While I in no way have your expertise on shipping, I certainly have noticed the difference as a passenger from when most passenger ships were registered in Norway and the high standard that was maintained at that time.

I am sure glad that the US CDC has kept up the Vessel Sanitation Program as I believe that Norway is the only other country to control cruise ship cleanliness. Certainly the Bahamas, Malta and Panama are not doing that.

It apparently has, but one poster stated that she was still listed in ship's registers as being flagged in Malta. There is no rule saying that all of a company's ships have to be flagged the same. As I stated, typically the transfer of flag state happens at the very end of the shipyard, when all the class and flag state inspections are completed, so it probably happened late yesterday or today, if she is underway.

Documentation has today been transferred to RCL and was still held yesterday by Pullmantur. The flag is currently still showing Malta, but with the life-ring photo from the ship, it is certainly being changed to the Bahamas.

https://exchange.dnv.com/Exchange/main.aspx?extool=vessel&subview=summary&vesselid=g107404