Recent photos of empress of the seas in dry dock

Its hard to read but also found this on fb from someone whose pictures look like that are part of the dry dock and read that it is suppose to be done March 17th

Also this link is a fb that has a short clip of some performers rehearsing for Empress of the seas. https://www.facebook.com/giada.maragno?fref=nf

1762676956_empress3.jpg.d4585939e7622cad1b096ff088b3d453.jpg

Edited by AlisaB

Two questions:

1. Where are the balcony cabins ?? Are there any at all ?

2. What was this drama that happened with Amy and Drydock Dave? I remember all the pix he took and posted during drydocks of other ships ... did he get a spankin for doing that ?

Edited by F27TW

Balcony staterooms on Empress are all considered Junior Suites or above. The 9th deck just below the pool deck has balcony rooms along the sides of the ship. There are also owners suites and a royal suite on the front or forward corners with them. The back or aft of the ship is also all balcony rooms consisting of junior suites and two owners suites.

Sorry I don't know about the drama at all haha.

Edited by Powersboyee2

What do we know about deck 8 oven view rooms? Are they obstructed views?

From the pix posted here, it looks like they are not only obstructed, but look downward INTO the lifeboats.

Why are so many people on here getting so excited over this dated little old ship coming back into the fleet? (other than sentimentality)

This "dated old little ship" is getting completely refurbished, including the staterooms. This will make her much more updated than MANY of RCCL's newer and bigger ships. All of which i've been on, in case you were wondering.

Where are you seeing deck 8 ocean view that are looking down? From what I can tell by pictures the deck 8 rooms look straight out for the most part. The life boats seem much lower to me... maybe like deck 4 or 5? Maybe ... Not exactly sure.

I will agree that there will be far less to do on the ship then what we are used to, but I will not let that alone obscure my view of her. We all know what we are getting before booking. Well, at least the people that know how to use the "internets".

She holds zero sentimental value to me, but that does not make it any less exciting for me to be trying something new. The smallest ship I have been on prior is Voyager and Mariner.

I think the better question is why do you have to chime in just to rain on others parades? If you don't like the ship, then don't book her. Pretty simple. I will form my own opinion though. :D

Edited by Powersboyee2

This "dated old little ship" is getting completely refurbished, including the staterooms. This will make her much more updated than MANY of RCCL's newer and bigger ships. All of which i've been on, in case you were wondering.

Where are you seeing deck 8 ocean view that are looking down? From what I can tell by pictures the deck 8 rooms look straight out for the most part. The life boats seem much lower to me... maybe like deck 4 or 5? Maybe ... Not exactly sure.

I will agree that there will be far less to do on the ship then what we are used to, but I will not let that alone obscure my view of her. We all know what we are getting before booking. Well, at least the people that know how to use the "internets".

She holds zero sentimental value to me, but that does not make it any less exciting for me to be trying something new. The smallest ship I have been on prior is Voyager and Mariner.

I think the better question is why do you have to chime in just to rain on others parades? If you don't like the ship, then don't book her. Pretty simple. I will form my own opinion though. :D

Andddd.... this is a forum all about sharing our opinions ... not stroking each others excitement about things .. maybe youre new to Cruise Critic, cowboy ... but prepare yourself for some opinions different to your own on here.

It aint always pretty. And not all of us are cruise line cheerleaders ... some of us call is as we see it.

Some people just like to stir the pot I suppose on threads are clearly not meant as reviews for a ship, just more as information about it since there is little to none available in general. Not new and definitely "aint" a cowboy. We do have plenty of cows in WI though I will admit. No boots. :eek:

hard to find a smaller ship these days!

heck even the EOS is a BIG ship compared to the ones we sailed back in the day

and, for sure, kind of hard to explain the day when service was the hallmark of ANY cruise line, much more than how glitzy a ship is......

of course the downside ( some may say ) is the crappy air conditioning, and having to wear a suit and tie and really dress up!

so, I'm interested in the empress! :)

From the pix posted here, it looks like they are not only obstructed, but look downward INTO the lifeboats.

Why are so many people on here getting so excited over this dated little old ship coming back into the fleet? (other than sentimentality)

Ships come in all size; some like the bigger ones and like to stay on them longer, and some like smaller ones that have shorter routes. To each their own, but as I say, it's always good to have choices.

More of a Love Boat theme if you ask me. Looking forward to making the comparison after many cruises on the really large ships.

Spent our Honeymoon on the Nordic Empress Sept 1992. Still have our dining room picture from formal night.

LOL :D Well you better still have your honeymoon photos! I think most people still have their honeymoon photos unless they are no longer married. :D:):D

Now if they will only put up the sailing for August 2016 so we can book a cruise on her.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Upgraded-Empress-could-become-Royal-Caribbean-Cuba-ship

Vicki Freed, Royal's senior vice president of sales, trade support and services, recently told a group of travel agents that inventory on the Empress will likely be parceled out month by month.

“We’re not going out too far, because we’re waiting for Cuba to open up,” Freed said at a CruiseOne/Cruises Inc. training seminar. “The minute Cuba opens up, we know this is the right-sized ship for Cuba.”

The short schedule for the Empress is another sign of how eager cruise lines are to launch service to Cuba and how they are marking time because of the lack of Cuban approvals.

“As of this moment, the Cuban government has not granted permission for any America-based cruise line to call to Cuba,” said Cynthia Martinez, a spokeswoman for RCCL.

Edited by Merion_Mom