Live from the 3/5/16 Emerald

Host CJSKIDS

I haven't been in the main dining room so I have no Idea what it's like.

Evidently by 1 pm they had run through every drop of liquor on princess cay but beer!!

We're on board this trip also. I believe I heard the gentleman who cleared all the liquor! While sitting outside Explorers, 2 young men (dressed for a day at the beach) were discussing how they were going to finish off as many bottles of vodka they could!:eek::eek:

Other than the intersting attire and antics - we are relaxing and enjoying our aft suite. It is a bit bouncy today (7-12' waves), but everything else has been wonderful.

Magic to Do is showing tonight - really looking forward to seeing it!

Whew! Those spring breakers are totally taking advantage of the beverage package, that's for sure!

We board on the 26th, it's usually college spring break the first two weeks of March and then K-12 spring break the last two weeks of March.

Hope the seas calm down and they don't run out of booze!!

We board on the 26th, it's usually college spring break the first two weeks of March and then K-12 spring break the last two weeks of March.

This isn't really true - where I live, spring break is right now for K12 for my city. The main state university (and their campuses) is the 3rd week of the month. There is no rhyme or reason when these are, except for some schools do go around Easter and some schools go around state holidays (MA is one of them). I have sailed the first week in April a few times and there were plenty of K12 spring breakers at that date and it was not near Easter. So that may be the philosophy where you live but not all over.

Basically - you can expect K12 and Universities to be anytime from President's Day to mid-April.

Edited by Coral

The state colleges and universities in Florida are on break this week, as our OP has discovered (or more descriptively, has had thrown in their face ;)).

In Miami and Ft Lauderdale the public schools are off the week of the 20th; kids are back in school on Easter Monday, no extra long weekend at the end of their break this year. So I'll be on Emerald the 26th as well--third time boarding a Princess ship on Easter weekend. Previous two had no college students that I could see and just a handful of families. Looking forward to the same again.

Let's now see the rest of the play-by-play from on board :D

I am also on this cruise and spend the entire day up in the Sanctuary with Carolyn and Steve. To set the record straight, the large group of spring breakers on this trip are all from 3 schools in North Carolina...Duke, UNC or NC State, and one other (I forget). The Princess security team is keeping a close eye on them and they have already made some rule changes to slow the drinking down. All kids are required to show their ID AND their cruise card to get a drink, AND their cruise cards are scanned to verify the picture matches. They are now telling the kids that proper attire is required inside the ship in the evenings, so we'll see how that goes. In my opinion, Princess is doing what they can, but they seem somewhat ill-prepared for how many kids there would be, especially using the unlimited alcohol package. The bar staff is certainly working overtime.

I am also on this cruise and spend the entire day up in the Sanctuary with Carolyn and Steve. To set the record straight, the large group of spring breakers on this trip are all from 3 schools in North Carolina...Duke, UNC or NC State, and one other (I forget). The Princess security team is keeping a close eye on them and they have already made some rule changes to slow the drinking down. All kids are required to show their ID AND their cruise card to get a drink, AND their cruise cards are scanned to verify the picture matches. They are now telling the kids that proper attire is required inside the ship in the evenings, so we'll see how that goes. In my opinion, Princess is doing what they can, but they seem somewhat ill-prepared for how many kids there would be, especially using the unlimited alcohol package. The bar staff is certainly working overtime.

Thanks for the update.

I hate to impose on your vacation time, and I will happily compensate you (let's say a drink at the M&G on the 11th!)-- would you mind emailing me at tracie@carolina.rr.com? I would really appreciate it! Thank you- Tracie-Lynn

Oh I am, trust me! Even the young girl throwing up in the bathroom by Crooners as we were sailing away didn't deter me from enjoying. I just ordered another original chocolate martini and sat people watching.

I live right by Mary Brickell village in Miami so I see this happen all the time.

Some people are not so lucky with their cabins as there are 4 to a room with spring breakers, loud music is playing and they are running around yelling. Don't think the bartenders are used to making so many shots!

The kids are all fun to talk to and I've not seen any disrespect shown from them to anyone at all. It's just a very different experience.

Enjoy reading about your experiences & being able to enjoy your cruise. :)

It sounds more like an Animal House cruise...is Bluto there? :p

I'ed bet that even with all the checking that sharing is running rampant. Princess will lose big with this group for sure.

Very nice to have spent time time chatting today with you both!

The plan of checking and not giving out drinks was a good one, but by the end of the day we watched as the bar staff was so overwhelmed and multiple drinks were being given out without checking ID's.

They do have security officers up by the pool this afternoon since that pool was complete mayhem.

I do agree, princess is trying their best but they are not prepared for this.

I was just thinking about this... there are other cruise lines that suspend the AIBP during college Spring Break weeks. I am certain that in these cases, the cruise ships lose money hand over fist. It may be a consideration- for no other reason than it is economically wise.

...And tonight, the reported water issue has reared its ugly head. When we began the cruise, our hot water was luke warm at best. Tolerable to shower in, but not super comfortable. Apparently, they worked on the problem earlier today....now our entire hallway only has scalding hot water to shower in. I called it in over 2 hours ago and still nobody has shown up to re-fix the problem. Our awesome steward has called his supervisor, but we are getting nowhere.

On a good note, I guess I don't have to dress up in a tux tonight :D:eek: We are just sitting in the room having a glass of wine or two waiting for the problem to get resolved.

...And tonight, the reported water issue has reared its ugly head. When we began the cruise, our hot water was luke warm at best. Tolerable to shower in, but not super comfortable. Apparently, they worked on the problem earlier today....now our entire hallway only has scalding hot water to shower in. I called it in over 2 hours ago and still nobody has shown up to re-fix the problem. Our awesome steward has called his supervisor, but we are getting nowhere.

On a good note, I guess I don't have to dress up in a tux tonight :D:eek: We are just sitting in the room having a glass of wine or two waiting for the problem to get resolved.

chris, I listened to the message and accidentally hung up and now can't get it back. How about 9 am for getting off the ship? Give us a call or respond here and I'll see it. You can also messenger me on the emerald app. I called down to the desk and they said there is no way for me to retrieve the message.

Sorry to hear about the water. We don't have cold water in our stateroom. It's been very warm showers which I hate! Good luck.

The spring breakers are observing formal night...they changed into clean Tshirts. My steward told me security will be patrolling our area tonight, Riviera fwd of the suites. I hope so, two nights of constantly interrupted sleep is making me pretty cranky. Oh this should be interesting...the spring breakers next door just put a mattress on the balcony. Let the games begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh wow. Mattress on the balcony... no bueno. I am pretty sure that you are not allowed to do this. There was a thread on here last February about someone who slept on their balcony--they had a little chat with security.

I hope the Spring Breakers party themselves out a bit. Maybe they will go to bed early tonight.

Of course if they don't, you and your bunky can always make lots and lots of noise at 6:30 am... and provide some really, really smelly food! That should help their hangovers. ('cause you know they have to have a bit of one)

Wow, glad we were on the ship last week! We had no problems with the hot water (either way) on Caribe deck. We really enjoyed Terry Conlon (guitarist/singer) & Henry Saxeby (piano guy). Hope the drunks don't ruin your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh great. Just think of the people who get that mattress after them. :mad:

Oh, yuck... I am pretty sure with the roll-out of the new premium mattresses, the last place they want them is on a balcony exposed to dirt and salt.

This is definately reportable. If you aren't suppose to dry your swim suit or towels on your balcony-- I can't even fathom how Princess feels about having a mattress on the balcony.

Not good Chris! :(

. . . To set the record straight, the large group of spring breakers on this trip are all from 3 schools in North Carolina...Duke, UNC or NC State, and one other (I forget). . . . .

Nope, not UNC or Duke. Spring breaks don't start for them until 11 March. However, NC State is on break, as are some other UNC-system schools (Greensboro, for sure) and Wake Forest.