Excellent Cruise aboard Eclipse but never again !

mickey89

I was on that cruise. Very disturbing about the action or non=action regarding the fire on the balcony.

I completely agree about the Chair hogs. On the last 2 Sea Days it was almost impossible to find 2 chairs together and difficult to find single chairs.

The smoking on the pool level was unacceptable as it drifted to the midpoint of that side of the ship. There were smokers who sat all day and chained smoked. There has got to be a solution that Celebrity could initiate, maybe enclose the area, just saying.

What caught fire ? Who put it out ? Was any one hurt? What proof is there that it was a cig? Did op suffer any injury or loss? Lots of details and info lacking on this story !

Edited by NIATPAC29

It would be nice to know some more details about the incident.

What burned? Isn't most everything on the balcony fire resistant?

Was there a fire with flames, or was something like a towel singed?

If flames, how was the fire extinguished ? By the O.P., staff or did it go out by itself?

What was the damage ?

What was the response time if a fire alarm was sounded ?

I don't understand why the O.P. felt the need to be involved in the investigation/follow-up. I would suspect Celebrity has a process to follow in this type of incident, and there isn't a reason I can think of to involve the O.P.

The O.P. would provide the facts they knew, and I really can't see a Captain as part of the interview process.

I can certainly understand the O.P. would be shaken by the incident, I would be too.

Given that Celebrity has one of the most restrictive smoking policies of the mass market lines, there will always and I mean always be some chucklehead who won't follow the rules. As long as there are people, things like this will happen.

If the O.P. is leaving Celebrity because of it, all I can say is best of luck in your future vacation plans.

And one more fact. The fire on Star Princess was never determined to have been cause by improperly disposed of smoking material. As no other cause was found by default it was blamed on improper disposal of smoking material. I don't think we really provide an argument for restrictive smoking policies by not being honest with facts. JMHO

Edited by WpgCruise

I sympathize with the OP. I was once hit on the head with a lit cigarette butt while I stood at the railings of my balcony. Then the butt fell to the floor in a shower of sparks. I stomped them out, but a couple did leave little burn marks.

I showed the burn marks to my room steward and also complained to guest relations. They told me nothing could be done because I didn't see who threw the cigarette butt.

I also once complained to my room steward about neighbors who smoked on their balcony, but I could see he was reluctant to get involved. It is easy to see why. His tips could be impacted if he turns in a smoking violator whose room he cleans. The advice I was given was anytime a neighbor is smoking on the balcony, call guest relations and they will send up security. The "culprits" literally have to be caught in the act.

This is just speculation, but on Equinox in December, I overheard a man talking loudly as he entered the buffet. He clearly stated for anyone in earshot that he had received his second and final warning and would be expelled from the ship if he did it again. I just naturally figured he was caught smoking where he shouldn't, but, of course, he could have done any number of things. Ship's staff do take some behavior seriously.

"I was stonewalled on every occasion. Point-blank refusal to speak to Captain or Senior Officer, denied accesss to incident report, denied access to CCTV which was said too be available, in effect every reasonable request was a - NO, we need to speak to Miami. When I requested that they contact Miami, point-blank refusal." Posted by Mickey89

It's terrible that you were left with the impression that the fire on your balcony wasn't taken seriously. However, no passenger should have access to confidential information or access to CCTV, especially during an active investigation. It would have been nice if an officer had agreed to speak with you and assure you they have dealt with the situation.

Excellent post Marelaine although nicer then the way I would have put it . The OP is fully justified in being very disturbed by this incident . Still somewhat over the top . In the end , why would you want to spend a cruise conducting this righteous crusade . :confused: It was a serious issue but life is too short and cruises are even shorter . :D

Modern Luxury Balcony Fire! Count me in the 5% (lol, love made up statistics). Looking forward to smoke-free Celebrity.
It's actually 47% . Yes I too love made up statistics . ;)

Would anyone really think that they wouldn't take a fire on the balcony seriously? I don't quite understand what the OP wanted. They are certainly not going to be part of any investigation into the matter except what they may have seen. Why in the world would it be necessary for them to speak to the Captain or any other officer? I guess I must be missing something.

I may also be missing something here. What did the OP mean by a 'fire'? What could have possibly caught on fire on a veranda? I am pretty sure the floors are made of fire retardant materials.

The reason being that we had a FIRE on our balcony caused by a lighted cigarette being thrown overboard by some inconsiderate idiot. Fortunately the balcony door was closed and the damage was minimal.

Mickey89, please tell us what exactly caught fire on the balcony?

I agree as well. It seems like Celebrity's response to a fire was lackadaisical at best. Fire at sea, as seen by Princess and the Grandeur fires is very frightening and potentially life threatening.

OP, I would encourage you to continue to bring this to management's attention. I do not think they owe it to you to show you security videos etc, but you do need to be heard.

I do not think changing the smoking policy would have stopped thus incident, because any respectful smoker wouldn't be throwing their butts around. Rules don't change stupidity.

We really enjoyed our recent cruise (21 Feb- 6 March) aboard the Eclipse until the latter days. This was our third consecutive cruise on the same itinerary, great ports of call and overall blessed with excellent weather. Celebrity do offer a slick operation with excellent standards and service. How could you not enjoy all that pampering and also have the drinks package...............

Too make the cruise really standout there are two adjustments I believe Celebrity need to reconsider :-

1. Sunbed HOGGING has returned with a vengeance with little sign of intervention.

2. SMOKING - the assigned smoking areas were overflowing and their smoke drifted far and wide affecting many more people than intended.

The above is really irrelevant to me as we have decided never to sail Celebrity again. The reason being that we had a FIRE on our balcony caused by a lighted cigarette being thrown overboard by some inconsiderate idiot. Fortunately the balcony door was closed and the damage was minimal. Although a serious incident which should be classified as a Near-Miss, it was regarded by the Guest Relations Manager as "not serious". Celebrity's follow-up actions were a disgrace, I was stonewalled on every occasion. Point-blank refusal to speak to Captain or Senior Officer, denied accesss to incident report, denied access to CCTV which was said too be available, in effect every reasonable request was a - NO, we need to speak to Miami. When I requested that they contact Miami, point-blank refusal. They were determined to a keep the incident quiet from all guests which regretfully they succeeded.

Celebrity's classification of this incident is appalling especially knowing that a similar incident lead to serious injuries/damage aboard the Star Princesss not that long ago. Consequently it is with great regret I have cancelled all future cruises and will revert to land-based holidays until they take Smoking At Sea seriously.

I'm sorry that Celebrity wasn't more communicative about how they were handling the danger that that fire posed.

I certainly hope they were taking it more seriously than they communicated to you!

The person who threw that lit cigarette overboard was much more than inconsiderate - they were posing a danger to everyone on the ship.

We were on the cruise before yours and the amount of smokers on board was minimal. I often walked around the upper decks and actually noticed that there were fewer people smoking in the smoking areas than I've seen in the past. So the "overflowing smoking areas" were probably just unique to your cruise and the luck of the draw.

That's not at all to excuse what sounds like either lackadaisical security or just overconcern with appearances rather than safety.

It never even crossed my mind that Mickey89 was looking for any compensation.

I am extremely fire phobic having had an apartment destroyed, and a pet found dead by the fireman. My next door neighbor was the cause of the fire.

I doubt that the OP is coming back to the thread. I would really like to know what was burning because right now I am spooked. We have had people in the cabin next to us smoking.

Also interesting that OP made up his mind to never sail X again before the trip even commenced. I can't imagine that it colored his perception of how he was being treated on this cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48822109&postcount=27

Posted on January 20th, 2016:

That is of little consequence, more important is an honorable way of doing business and treating your customers with respect. Anyway the saga is over and so is my future relationship with them. Last cruise with them coming up, hope the food and entertainment has improved since November, not expecting too much to avoid disappointment.
Edited by bEwAbG

Also interesting that OP made up his mind to never sail X again before the trip even commenced. I can't imagine that it colored his perception of how he was being treated on this cruise.

Bingo!

Seems the OP had made up his mind before this cruise.

If there had been a fire on my balcony you can be sure I'd have pictures to post. Still can't figure out what is flammable out there. A fire? hard to imagine unless the OP had left clothing or towels out there.

Bingo!

Seems the OP had made up his mind before this cruise.

If there had been a fire on my balcony you can be sure I'd have pictures to post. Still can't figure out what is flammable out there. A fire? hard to imagine unless the OP had left clothing or towels out there.

I could not have said it better. I keep thinking as what could have happened to led to a supposed "fire".

This just in----Mickey has left the building !
He may have gone but we in the audience get to critique his performance .

I feel there was a certain lack of authenticity plus he didn't return for a curtain call .

Add me to the list of people who think the OP's demands were just silly. Why does he feel as though he has the right to be privy to the details of the investigation? Once the OP reported the issue, it became X's responsibility. There is no reason why X must report back to the OP seeking his approval of their actions.

The OP does not know the details of any investigation that may have ensued. Why would he assume that this meant X took no action? Perhaps they decided not to release any information to him since he was difficult and they wanted to minimize his continued involvement in the process.

My reaction after reading the original post? Sorry, but all I saw in my mind's eye was an unreasonable customer looking for a reason to complain. If the OP is convinced that he was wronged by X, then by all means he should boycott the line in future. However, methinks he will find fault wherever he goes.

Originally Posted by mickey89 View Post

That is of little consequence, more important is an honorable way of doing business and treating your customers with respect. Anyway the saga is over and so is my future relationship with them. Last cruise with them coming up, hope the food and entertainment has improved since November, not expecting too much to avoid disappointment.

I would say that Mickey89 has a hidden agenda. He certainly implied that all the smokers, the alleged fire on the balcony, and Celebrity's response were what lead to his decision to stop cruising. At least he agreed it was an excellent cruise otherwise, so the food and entertainment must have improved. Now we see that he decided before the cruise that it was his last one. Obviously his credibility is questionable.

I suspect the OPs issue is more about all the smoking in general and the fire (perhaps a burning cigarette only) is a little dramatic. Although totally unacceptable for a lighted cigarette to be tossed overboard does any reasonable person actually believe that Celebrity would ignore a real fire on a balcony?