Broken ankle

carib1

We are 17 days from cruising and my husband just broke his ankle.:(:(

Any suggestions on how to make this trip a little easier? He is on crutches, with a cast up to his knee and cannot put any weight on his ankle.

Cancellation is not a option, we are cruising with my best friend and her 3 children.

My main concern is showering, he cannot get his cast wet and cannot put any weight on it. I have emailed special needs to see if they have a shower chair that we could use.

Other than that I am just STRESSED OUT!!

Definitely get a knee walker or wheelchair. Your doctor can prescribe one and your insurance should pay the majority of it. If not, it will be worth your while to rent one. Special Needs department will have a list of venders and it will be waiting in your cabin.

You can also get someone to help you aboard, etc. And when you do muster drill, they should direct you to a lounge, so you won't need to stand during it.

Knee walker will make it easier.

Plan to get wheelchair assistance for embark and debark. How are you getting to port? Airports have wheelchair assistance.

Need to arrange for a wheelchair before the cruise. There are several companies that you can rent from. It will be waiting in your cabin and just leave it there at the end of the cruise. The WC must be stored in your cabin when not in use.

Arrange for Special Needs muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can he get a knee scooter to get around? Much easier than crutches.

They are wonderful and really help getting around without taking up too much room. I know there are medical supply shops that rent them.

I am sorry to hear about your husbands ankle, it is good that you are trying to make the best of it.

Any suggestions on how to make this trip a little easier? He is on crutches, with a cast up to his knee and cannot put any weight on his ankle.

Cancellation is not a option, we are cruising with my best friend and her 3 children.

My main concern is showering, he cannot get his cast wet and cannot put any weight on it. I have emailed special needs to see if they have a shower chair that we could use.

Sorry to hear about your DH. You might consider renting one of these through Carnival for DH to get around. I've seen people use them on the ships.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15423445?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000624284&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40753246952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78604746872&veh=sem

I'm sorry to hear that. Amazon has a waterproof leg cast protector that you can buy. It's really hard to be non weight bearing so maybe you can ask your doctor to prescribe you a knee walker and he has plenty of time to practice. Good luck!

That's a good idea, I am going to look into that.:) He is not a so called water person, so no pool or ocean will not be a problem, although I think his drinking bill will go up. :eek:

Knee walker will make it easier.

Plan to get wheelchair assistance for embark and debark. How are you getting to port? Airports have wheelchair assistance.

Need to arrange for a wheelchair before the cruise. There are several companies that you can rent from. It will be waiting in your cabin and just leave it there at the end of the cruise. The WC must be stored in your cabin when not in use.

Arrange for Special Needs muster.

I am going to look into the Knee walker, that will make it a little easier on him and me. We are flying into West Palm Beach from Midway in Chicago then taking the Tri-Rail down to Boca Raton, staying there overnight, then we have a car service that will be taking us to the port the next day. Luckily, I can pack everything into 2 carryon bags, so I should be able to manage both of those.

My husband is so stubborn he will not use a wheelchair. He actually broke his ankle 9 days ago, but just went to the doctor yesterday, after days of me prodding him to go.:mad:

Edited by carib1

!!

From a husbands point of view, it's always good to know where you stand in the priority line.

1. Best friend

2. Best friends kids

3. Maybe hubby

:)

From a husbands point of view, it's always good to know where you stand in the priority line.

1. Best friend

2. Best friends kids

3. Maybe hubby

:)

Now that is funny! He might be further down that list thou.:eek: JK

He is always first, he is the one that does not want to cancel. I am sure it is because this is my best friends first cruise, she has saved for 3 years to take this vacation, she has 3 children ages 6, 8 and 14 and we are tagging along to help, well I will be helping, husband will be drinking.

I told him he could stay home and I would go alone-- that just got me a dirty look.

He is lucky I haven't kicked his butt for not going to the doctor when it happened--it only took me 9 days to convince him to go, he was insisting it was not broke.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear that. Amazon has a waterproof leg cast protector that you can buy. It's really hard to be non weight bearing so maybe you can ask your doctor to prescribe you a knee walker and he has plenty of time to practice. Good luck!

I broke my ankle in December and had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks. Crutches were not an option for me (too much of a clutz) so the knee walker was a God send. I know that doesn't answer the shower problem, but it might make it a lot easier for him to get around on the ship as an alternative to crutches. If you can't get insurance to cover it, search online, you can find a ton of the for sale used and fairly cheap. OR you can rent them by the month as well, which is what I did for $50 a month. As mentioned above you can get a waterproof cast protector and use that if you can find something to set in the shower for him to rest his knee on, that might work.

Try not to stress, this too shall pass. Go and have a good time!!

I called the special needs department to get a shower chair for my daughter who has a torn ACL and they said they would have one in our cabin.

Amazon has $80 transport chairs to buy. Cheaper than renting one for a week

Could you go with your friend and her kids and your husband not go? This is not going to be an easy trip. You are flying (not much leg room), then you want to take tri rail to Boca (I would seriously reconsider this). You are going to do this with someone with a cast and cannot put weight on their leg. Plus your luggage.

I broke my wrist 3 weeks ago and have a cast from my hand to past my elbow. I can walk. But the cast is heavy and by the time I get dressed and go out for an hour or two, I'm tired. This is the first time I ever broke a bone and unless you have gone through this, you don't know how hard it is to get through each day.

Your husband is going to go through a lot and I doubt the cruise will be enjoyable for him. Nothing like the comforts of your own home.

I second all of the suggestions for the waterproof cast protector and knee scooter. I had foot surgery in October and was in a non-weight bearing knee-high cast for 5 weeks. I got the cast protector from Amazon and bought my knee scooter from Craigslist. (It was cheaper to buy than rent, especially since I have to get my other foot done in the future.)

The cast protector is a pain to get on an off. He'll probably need help, but it makes shower time so much easier!

The knee scooter is a blessing! You have to be careful because the center of gravity is very forward...hit one little bump too hard and you'll go flying, but they make getting around so much easier.

I'm going to say this in the most gentle way possible ... tell him to get over his pride and accept wheelchair assistance in the airports and for embarkation and debarkation. Not for him (especially if he gets a knee scooter), but for you! It's terribly stressful to be the "support" person for someone who is newly and temporarily disabled in any way. You will find that the wheelchair assistance people are very helpful.

Your husband is going to go through a lot and I doubt the cruise will be enjoyable for him. Nothing like the comforts of your own home.

On the other hand, being out and about might make him forget is troubles for a while.

It all depends on attitude. Can be miserable at home or on a cruise.

Go on Amazon if you have time and lookup shower with cast or something. They are a bag like thing that fits over your leg up to your ankle snd fits very snug around your thy. Like a tourniquet almost, but not that much. It really helped me. I went through the same thing two months back.

You've received lots of great suggestions so I'll add one: can your husband have his cast changed to a waterproof cast?

You've gotten lots of good suggestions regarding waterproof casts and wheelchairs. On the ship, a wheelchair/scooter would be awesome, ego be damned.

My biggest advice is don't stress. Even with the ankle, there is still plenty to do. He can get around to anything in the ship. Might not play basketball, but that's OK. In fact, a cruise is a great vacation if you have a hurt leg. Easy to get to all the venues on the ship.