That darn zika virus

cruisemiluv28

:mad:OK so we found out I was pregnant :D best news ever. The thing is my June 3 sailing on the Vista had to be canceled because I would be over 24 weeks:o. No Vista but was hoping to go to the Caribbean. Nope that's not happening either because Zika seems to be everywhere. This maybe the first year I haven't been on a cruise since I started 8 years ago. I'm trying to convince the hubby to do the Pride Bahamas sailing since there aren't any reported cases there as of yet. Do you think I should chance this?

:mad:OK so we found out I was pregnant :D best news ever. The thing is my June 3 sailing on the Vista had to be canceled because I would be over 24 weeks:o. No Vista but was hoping to go to the Caribbean. Nope that's not happening either because Zika seems to be everywhere. This maybe the first year I haven't been on a cruise since I started 8 years ago. I'm trying to convince the hubby to do the Pride Bahamas sailing since there aren't any reported cases there as of yet. Do you think I should chance this?

Try a cruise to Alaska or Canada. There are very good deals from New York to Canada in September. Bermuda might be another option.

I agree about selecting a cruise that sails to a different region. Alaska is absolutely wonderful, but there are other options a bit closer to home both from the east and west coast. Our last cruise was a Pacific Coastal out of Los Angeles on Princess and it was, without a doubt, one of our best cruises ever. And the best thing about it was the price. It was cheaper than several Caribbean cruises that we've taken.

Since you're in NYC, check out one of the Canada/New England sailings. They tend to be fairly reasonable, specially the 5 night itinerary to Halifax and St. John. I know, it's not the Caribbean, but it is a cruise!

Edited by Tapi

Wouldn't chance zika, dengue or chikungunta, nor the pesticides used to ward off the mosquitoes.

Canada is nice, but so is Bermuda, and no reports of mozzies there. It isn't the Caribbean, but there are pink sand beaches.

I have a son with microcephally. He has the mentality of a 2 year old, although he is 21. It isn't an easy life.

Don't take the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The first and ONLY call and discussion I would have would be your doctor. Don't rely on opinions from anyone concerning a medical question so serious. You'd never forgive yourself if you erred.

Probably wouldn't sail out of South Florida if you're that worried about it. While on our cruise last week, even though we were out of Long Beach, we got Miami local news. They were reporting unique cases (caught in the immediate region) around South Florida in multiple counties including Miami-Dade.

Sorry. :( But even they could be wrong.

Do your research if you're very concerned.

Edit: just noticed you'd be on Pride. Not out of South Fla, but the Bahamas are pretty dang close.

Edited by TomAceEsq

Probably wouldn't sail out of South Florida if you're that worried about it. While on our cruise last week, even though we were out of Long Beach, we got Miami local news. They were reporting unique cases (caught in the immediate region) around South Florida in multiple counties including Miami-Dade.

Sorry. :( But even they could be wrong.

Do your research if you're very concerned.

Edit: just noticed you'd be on Pride. Not out of South Fla, but the Bahamas are pretty dang close.

Please do not spread false information. There has still been no cases of zika transmitted via mosquitos anywhere in the US. All cases are people that traveled to an affected area and a few via sexual contact with someone that has traveled to one of those areas.

Edited by BeachChik

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Why, just so that you can keep your streak going? You've got big things coming up. Work on that and take a year off from cruising, it will not kill you.

Please do not spread false information. There has still been no cases of zika transmitted via mosquitos anywhere in the US. All cases are people that traveled to an affected area and a few via sexual contact with someone that has traveled to one of those areas.

I'm just "spreading" what I heard via the local news station in Miami. Like I said in my post that you quoted, they could be wrong, so I encouraged OP to do her research.

Have a great weekend!

Congrats. Speak to your physician. No offense but this sounds like when people try to rationalize that second glass of wine while pregnant. Ppl joke about me not getting pregnant since I'm going to the Caribbean. Even though I know its just a joke; I also know there is truth behind every joke. The concern is real. There may not be a lot of evidence, but take heed.

The first and ONLY call and discussion I would have would be your doctor. Don't rely on opinions from anyone concerning a medical question so serious. You'd never forgive yourself if you erred.

This is excellent advice, please listen...and while Im not a doctor...as an OB nurse I'd never recommend taking a chance and gamble on the wellbeing of your unborn child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Congratulations! How about an Alaska cruise?

http://www.adn.com/article/20160201/zika-virus-and-alaska-heres-what-know

I have a son with microcephally. He has the mentality of a 2 year old, although he is 21. It isn't an easy life.

Don't take the chance.

I am so sorry to hear that. I also have a special needs child, and I agree it is not easy. Bless you!

Excellent advice! If it were me I would skip it even if a doctor told me it would be safe. The experts are finding out new things about this virus every day and none of the news is good. Why chance a lifetime of misery for a 7 day cruise? Alaska and Canada seem to be safe choices.

And don't come to Houston. There have been 13 or 14 confirmed cases of Zika most of whom were infected in Honduras, Brazil, etc. But, they fear that if they are bitten by mosquitos, then our mosquito population will be infected. They are adding the test for Zika to the current testing for West Nile Virus when they test the mosquitos. We are inundated with mosquitos after the 7 inches of rain we had earlier in the week. Pretty soon there will be nowhere you can go.

I would have suggested up until a few weeks ago that you go to Costa Rica for vacation as they had no cases of Zika at least when we were there in late February. In fact we never encountered any mosquitos and we were staying in the jungle. But, then again it is the dry season and it has been exceptionally dry this year. But, I just heard that CR has had its first case of Zika.

Edited by DebJ14