Can you cancel gratuities on golden princess?????

portcbob

Hi Bob...

Your decision to remove auto-tips and tip directly is based on some incorrect assumptions. As mentioned above, auto-tips will be distributed to personnel who serve you...even those you do not come in contact with. I've never heard of the horror stories you mention.

If you leave the auto-tips intact, any additional cash tips you give to staff will be turned in, but will be returned to them when it's confirmed your auto-tips were left intact. If you remove auto-tips, cash tips will be turned in to become part of the same pool funded by other's auto-tips.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Could you give a reference supporting the portion of your post in bold characters?

A research made on the web (Princess Cruises crew wages details) does not confirm that.

I cannot give a specific web address because when I did in an other post, it was removed by CC probably because it came from a competitor:confused:

As I understand it, ALL tips become parts of the POOL. Like what you find in some restaurants.

Why doesn't Princess just up the cost of the cruise slightly, pay their employees with the increase, and then ditch the tipping thing? Not all countries go along with the tipping game.

What is a 'slight increase'? Currently, insides for a seven day Caribbean are running, maybe $850. Tips are about $90 PP. That would require a minimum increase of 10% and probably more once taxes and overheads are included.

Could you give a reference supporting the portion of your post in bold characters?

If you're asking for a link to that information, I cannot provide one. I doubt very much the official policy can be found online.

My statement was formed as result of a number of conversations with hotel and food and beverage managers onboard various cruises. I suggest those in doubt ask for themselves on their next cruise.

I am sure the pro tippers are not the big tippers they say they are.....I am always reminded of "I thinketh they protest to much!"....it is really none of their business and that is the bottom line....to tip or not to tip is your choice....not their choice for you!!! ;)

But non-tippers make it everyone's business when they post about online :)!

i am sure the pro tippers are not the big tippers they say they are.....i am always reminded of "i thinketh they protest to much!"....it is really none of their business and that is the bottom line....to tip or not to tip is your choice....not their choice for you!!! ;)

like :)

If you're asking for a link to that information, I cannot provide one. I doubt very much the official policy can be found online.

My statement was formed as result of a number of conversations with hotel and food and beverage managers onboard various cruises. I suggest those in doubt ask for themselves on their next cruise.

You will find the official policy in searching: «Princess Cruises crew wages details» on the web...

Maybe the information you got was PRIOR to that policy:confused:. My reference is as of November 2015. Policies have been known to vary with time!

A research made on the web (Princess Cruises crew wages details) does not confirm that.

As I understand it, ALL tips become parts of the POOL. Like what you find in some restaurants.

The wording in the document refers to passengers who follow the suggested guidelines, whether they participate in the auto-tip or give the $$$ directly to personnel.

It does not address passengers who fully follow the suggested guidelines and then give additional tips out directly.

You will find the official policy in searching: «Princess Cruises crew wages details» on the web...

I performed your search, and the first result was a site

that discussed sending a reporter to work undercover

as a waiter on a cruise ship.

"Over five weeks, he earned $375 an hour and he was expected to work sixteen hours each day. "

Gee, I wonder if they dropped a decimal point.

Yeah -- every internet search returns complete truth.

http://www.traveltruth.com/2012/10/14/cruise-crew-salaries-exposed/

On the internet, no one knows you're a dog...

I performed your search, and the first result was a site

that discussed sending a reporter to work undercover

as a waiter on a cruise ship.

"Over five weeks, he earned $375 an hour and he was expected to work sixteen hours each day. "

Gee, I wonder if they dropped a decimal point.

Yeah -- every internet search returns complete truth.

http://www.traveltruth.com/2012/10/14/cruise-crew-salaries-exposed/

Yes, it looks like they dropped the decimal point. Given the context of the article $3.75 per hour would be about right.

The wording in the document refers to passengers who follow the suggested guidelines, whether they participate in the auto-tip or give the $$$ directly to personnel.

It does not address passengers who fully follow the suggested guidelines and then give additional tips out directly.

From the document that you found:

E. DISCRETIONARY HOTEL & DINING CHARGE POOL

Nonetheless, to the extent passengers follow the suggested contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel and Dining Charge Pool (the “Pool”). Each and every crew member also agrees to deliver any such voluntary passenger contribution he or she receives from any passenger under any circumstances to the Pool immediately upon receipt of the contribution from the passenger.

Believe what you choose to, but be aware that if you cancel the auto tips, you ARE cheating those whose service to you is behind the scenes and below the decks, and who are part of those whose incomes are enhanced thru the tipping pool, which is funded by OUR auto tips.

What I struggle with here is, you gay for gratuities and then your slogged another 15% each time you buy from the bar or order wine with dinner. Now what's that about?

What I struggle with here is, you gay for gratuities and then your slogged another 15% each time you buy from the bar or order wine with dinner. Now what's that about?

It's about getting the most money from you on your trip without you thinking about it. It's a business.

Edited by Tripper10

Everybody uses the room steward and dining services so everybody should pay. Not all pax use the bars, so only those who use the bar services should pay via the 15% add on - quite fair actually.

Are you planning that your service will be poor. Don't you think the the crew (those you see and those you don't) deserve to be appropriately comp'ed via the service charge?

they Did say that they want to pay it their way not via the auto so i really don't understand why people attack others for doing what they are allowed to do i am sorry but posts like this is what it looks like specially when they did say they want to tip it is not as if they don't want to tip at all

Edited by Hawka

they Did say that they want to pay it their way not via the auto so i really don't understand why people attack others for doing what they are allowed to do i am sorry but posts like this is what it looks like specially when they did say they want to tip it is not as if they don't want to tip at all

You miss the point of people pointing out over and over that when you remove the auto-tips you are screwing over the people behind the scenes that rely on the tips also - the question always is what is the "point" of paying it "their way" - what is the real issue behind the presentation - what is the real motivation because the system is in place for a reason and it's not to "screw" over the guests...

Everybody uses the room steward and dining services so everybody should pay. Not all pax use the bars, so only those who use the bar services should pay via the 15% add on - quite fair actually.

I don't use the pool, the sports deck. or go to many shows or activities so I should reduce my gratuity? I think the $13.95 is out of line with reality and will reduce them back to $12.

I don't use the pool, the sports deck. or go to many shows or activities so I should reduce my gratuity? I think the $13.95 is out of line with reality and will reduce them back to $12.

Good for you - exert your control, show them who is boss...

You think what you like - I know what most of us are thinking...

Correct......they should call it a Resort Fee and not a Gratuity......tips are almost always a free choice in most parts of the world and not an automatic fee set by the establishment....and even in many establishments they will give a suggestion of 10%, 15% or 20% for services rendered and it is still the individual's choice.....:cool:

I don't either but I use my cabin and eat onboard. The gratuity has nothing to do with entertainment or activities unless related to eating.

Correct......they should call it a Resort Fee and not a Gratuity......tips are almost always a free choice in most parts of the world and not an automatic fee set by the establishment....and even in many establishments they will give a suggestion of 10%, 15% or 20% for services rendered and it is still the individual's choice.....:cool:

Apparently you haven't travelled as much as you may think. In most parts of the world there is no tipping but rather an added service charge...............

Wait... You can afford a suite but won't pay the 13.95? Maybe you don't go to shows, use the pool, etc... BUT you eat off of dishes, have clean sheets, enjoy/ eat the food, walk on floors, get off the ship, have luggage, and many other things... For every waiter in the dining room there are probably 20 people behind the scenes prepping, cooking plating the food... Sad... Of course those cooks and clean up people are paid SO well they want you to save your money... Their families don't have to eat... AND I AM BEING SARCASTIC so don't tell me they make enough money...