Can you cancel gratuities on golden princess?????

portcbob

Wait... You can afford a suite but won't pay the 13.95? Maybe you don't go to shows, use the pool, etc... BUT you eat off of dishes, have clean sheets, enjoy/ eat the food, walk on floors, get off the ship, have luggage, and many other things... For every waiter in the dining room there are probably 20 people behind the scenes prepping, cooking plating the food... Sad... Of course those cooks and clean up people are paid SO well they want you to save your money... Their families don't have to eat... AND I AM BEING SARCASTIC so don't tell me they make enough money...

He does not care - NO ONE tells HIM how to spend HIS money! Believe me!

Please do tell????? :rolleyes:

I believe there is a business model known to experts that explains this particular assertion. Perhaps the experts will inform us, dedicated as they seem to be about educating the ignorant (i.e., the rest of us.) Beware, however, because there "may be math." :p

Everybody uses the room steward and dining services so everybody should pay. Not all pax use the bars, so only those who use the bar services should pay via the 15% add on - quite fair actually.

I don't either but I use my cabin and eat onboard. The gratuity has nothing to do with entertainment or activities unless related to eating.

Pam, I agree, my response was in answer to SteveH .

I do believe there was no justification in raising the gratuity and will reduce them back to $12 PP PD which IMHO was fair.

Edited by cruzsnooze

You have to be 21 to work onboard.

To have 20+ years of experience you would have to be 41+

I have seen very, very few crew members over 40.

Most come for a while. Either save up for a house at home,

or get married, and move on.

After almost 50 cruises on various lines, we've met many who are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Pam, I agree, my response was in answer to SteveH .

I do believe there was no justification in raising the gratuity and will reduce them back to $12 PP PD which IMHO was fair.

My answer was to explain to someone about who was in the DSC pool and who was not. I made no comment on the amount. I think that raising it twice in a year, alongside all of the other above-inflation increases that NCL&FDR have introduced, have led me to cruise elsewhere (see my sig. block). Having said that, IF (that is a big IF BTW:D), I were to cruise NCL again, I would only reduce or remove the DSC if there was an unresolved service issue. Princess have increased these charges, but not to the same extent as NCL.

Edited by SteveH2508
realised this was in the Princess forum!

Wait... You can afford a suite but won't pay the 13.95? Maybe you don't go to shows, use the pool, etc... BUT you eat off of dishes, have clean sheets, enjoy/ eat the food, walk on floors, get off the ship, have luggage, and many other things... For every waiter in the dining room there are probably 20 people behind the scenes prepping, cooking plating the food... Sad... Of course those cooks and clean up people are paid SO well they want you to save your money... Their families don't have to eat... AND I AM BEING SARCASTIC so don't tell me they make enough money...

I was being sarcastic in response to a poster who thought the 15% on bars was fair because not everyone used them. As I stated, I believe (which is my option) that there was no justification except greed to raise the gratuity. The US economy did not grow and social security didn't give any raise since their was no cost of living increase. The cruise caters to US passengers so should not have gouged us with higher suggested tips.

What has affording a suite got to do with anything? People like to see value and get what they're paying for with their hard earned money. I'm looking for a new car right now, should I just pay the MSRP and add a little extra since I can afford it?

Apparently there enough people (reading these boards) that tip so over the top it evens out with those that don't.

Whatever you decide to do, please remember that your room steward does not get a day off. 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week. Months at a time. Dealing with all sorts of personalities. A conversation with our last room steward made us realize the only days off he got were when the ship was in dry dock (how often does that occur), and when his contract was up. I hadn't really thought of it. I'm pretty sure it's not the job for me.

Whatever you decide to do, please remember that your room steward does not get a day off. 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week. Months at a time. Dealing with all sorts of personalities. A conversation with our last room steward made us realize the only days off he got were when the ship was in dry dock (how often does that occur), and when his contract was up. I hadn't really thought of it. I'm pretty sure it's not the job for me.

My dad walked up hill to work, both ways....in the rain....7 days a week. He did that to support his people. I never heard him complain once. Point is a lot of people work hard.

Everybody uses the room steward and dining services so everybody should pay. Not all pax use the bars, so only those who use the bar services should pay via the 15% add on - quite fair actually.

When you order a soda in a dining room, your waiter (included in the gratuity pool) gets it for you. You still pay the 15% add on even though no bar personnel were involved.

My dad walked up hill to work, both ways....in the rain....7 days a week. He did that to support his people. I never heard him complain once. Point is a lot of people work hard.

I thought that was the snow. ;) People who work hard should be compensated for it.

I thought that was the snow. ;) People who work hard should be compensated for it.

Yes, but wage is determined by a lot of factors. If the auto-gratuities and normal cruise pay isn't enough people should move it along to a new career. I don't hear the cruise crew crying about it, just fanboys of tip promotion.

This topic is a hard one for Australians to get their head around,although personally we tip taxi drivers and waitresses at home..Our up coming cruise is going to cost us upwards of $1000.00 in auto-grats.So I guise that if we get excellent service we will personally tip that person extra,if not we walk off the ship at the end.What are they going to do chase you down the ramp and shoot you.We will leave our auto-grats on knowing that we have held up our end of the bargin,does this sound right.

This topic is a hard one for Australians to get their head around,although personally we tip taxi drivers and waitresses at home..Our up coming cruise is going to cost us upwards of $1000.00 in auto-grats.So I guise that if we get excellent service we will personally tip that person extra,if not we walk off the ship at the end.What are they going to do chase you down the ramp and shoot you.We will leave our auto-grats on knowing that we have held up our end of the bargin,does this sound right.

Just leaving the auto-gratuities in place with nothing more expected is correct. Giving more is entirely up to you but not necessary.

Yes, but wage is determined by a lot of factors. If the auto-gratuities and normal cruise pay isn't enough people should move it along to a new career. I don't hear the cruise crew crying about it, just fanboys of tip promotion.

Haha.

You miss the point of people pointing out over and over that when you remove the auto-tips you are screwing over the people behind the scenes that rely on the tips also - the question always is what is the "point" of paying it "their way" - what is the real issue behind the presentation - what is the real motivation because the system is in place for a reason and it's not to "screw" over the guests...

That may be the case I might be but i do get what people are saying but I will say this some could say it better then they are and explain the process not belittle the poster by saying why would you do that etc the ones that explained it kudos to you those that to my eyes looked like they were belittling or attacking shame on you .

From what you say the auto helps go towards all workers though the 100 dollars that the auto is spread through about 1000 workers to pool all auto tips would be only way your steward would get any that was from what I could work out but yes I do see those that have explained the process of tips