Alaska first-timers

Kimbels

Going to Alaska for 20th wedding anniversary. Would like thoughts on best cruise line to sail on & thoughts on best itineraries. Considering land/sea option but only have 14 days total for vacation. I have been looking online for over a month & am totally overwhelmed! Don't want to make bad decision as this is an expensive trip. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

As we don't know anything about you, it is very hard to say what is "best" for you. There is no one "best" in the cruise business. ..it is all very subjective. Ford or Chevy? Burger King or McDonalds? Starbucks or Peets?

Some reading and research on the Alaska portion of Cruise Critic would reveal the many variables to determine what might be "best" for you. You might decide Glacier Bay is important, which would narrow the possible cruise lines for you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Kimbels, welcome to Cruise Critic.

As usual CruiserBruce has it right. This link will take you to the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

With 14 days you could consider say a 7 or 9 day southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver and do a pre cruise land program. Three lines offer this; Princess, Holland and Celebrity with the first two using their own facilities.

Keith

Going to Alaska for 20th wedding anniversary. Would like thoughts on best cruise line to sail on & thoughts on best itineraries. Considering land/sea option but only have 14 days total for vacation. I have been looking online for over a month & am totally overwhelmed! Don't want to make bad decision as this is an expensive trip. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I suggest you spend some time reading the Alaska Ports of Call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Thank you everyone! These are the "must see" stops we have decided on so far....whale watching, helicopter ride with glacier landing, Tracy arm fjord, railroad trip. We would love to do a day adventure with seeing bears but it seems like the one we liked in Homer would be too far. We are in early 50's & not interested in formal or stuffy.

Thank you everyone! These are the "must see" stops we have decided on so far....whale watching, helicopter ride with glacier landing, Tracy arm fjord, railroad trip. We would love to do a day adventure with seeing bears but it seems like the one we liked in Homer would be too far. We are in early 50's & not interested in formal or stuffy.

You're welcome, and it already sounds like you will be having a great experience!:)

IMO, helicopter to a glacier is a waste of time and money (short and boring). For Alaska, a better bet is a float plane ride with a remote water landing using a traditional dehavilland plane (before they all disappear).

As for helicopters, save your money until you can get to Kauai and do at least an hour over the NaPali coast.

Since you are in your early 50's, while I love HAL, I would suggest passing on that line. The average age is probably in the 70's lol

Princess has a nice range of ages. I'm not familiar with Celebrity.

Obviously if you want to do the railroad trip, you've already settled on Skagway as a port of call. Juneau is a good place for whale watching. I have never been to Tracey Arm but did Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay on Princess last May and it was wonderful.

When we were in Alaska this past summer our favorite port was Skagway. It's an attractive little town of great historical significance and you can take the White Pass Railway through the mountains all the way to the Canadian Yukon if you choose. Glacier Bay is also a great place to see, especially since the glaciers are retreating every year.

We've done Alaska twice, most recently a cruise-tour with Royal Caribbean on the Radiance. The land portion was amazing, starting with an overnight in Anchorage, then a train ride in a dedicated car on the Alaskan Railroad to Talkeetna. Then by bus to Denali Park Village for an overnight stay by the river. The next morning took us into the park, with breathtaking vistas and an awe-inspiring view of Denali itself, formerly Mt McKinley.

That night was back to Talkeetna to stay at a gorgeous inn, again with incredible views. The last morning took us back to Anchorage for lunch and visit to the museum, before going on to Seward. Again, magnificent views on this ride. Arriving in Seward, we got our first glimpse of the ship before stopping at the Sea Life Center for a couple of hours, which was fun and interesting.

There were 7 in our group. We're in our late 40s, my parents in their sixties, plus my 40-something brother, and our 2 teenage boys. We all enjoyed it. It's a hectic 4 days, and to be honest, it was exhausting, but it was so worth it. We'd do it again without hesitation. If love to go back and journey farther inland to Fairbanks.

I think that first night on the ship was one of the best night's sleep I've every had! The first day was a welcomed, relaxing, sea day, with a visit to Hubbard Glacier.

Makes me excited all over again just talking about it. I think whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed with Alaska. Enjoy!

We celebrated our 20th anniversary in Alaska and we chose Princess. We liked the "off the beaten path" choices they had. We flew into Anchorage a day early and explored on our own and then we went to Denali, Mt. McKinley and Copper River. Then we cruised.

Now, remember I can only speak for the experience we had on Princess. I do recommend doing land first because you're always on the move from hotel to hotel. On the days you're traveling to another destination you need to have your luggage out and ready to go very early and you're on your way early.

A week later we were boarding the ship and had 2 days at sea (glacier viewing mostly) and we were able to relax a bit before doing the ports of Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

I researched for over a year before making my choice and it was the vacation of a lifetime for us!!! I don't know if anything will ever compare!

Enjoy planning and enjoy the trip - its nothing like we had ever seen before!!!

We celebrated our 20th anniversary in Alaska and we chose Princess. We liked the "off the beaten path" choices they had. We flew into Anchorage a day early and explored on our own and then we went to Denali, Mt. McKinley and Copper River. Then we cruised.

Now, remember I can only speak for the experience we had on Princess. I do recommend doing land first because you're always on the move from hotel to hotel. On the days you're traveling to another destination you need to have your luggage out and ready to go very early and you're on your way early.

A week later we were boarding the ship and had 2 days at sea (glacier viewing mostly) and we were able to relax a bit before doing the ports of Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

I researched for over a year before making my choice and it was the vacation of a lifetime for us!!! I don't know if anything will ever compare!

Enjoy planning and enjoy the trip - its nothing like we had ever seen before!!!

This sounds like a terrific trip. Did you book the entire trip through Princess?

This sounds like a terrific trip. Did you book the entire trip through Princess?

We used a TA but yes, all of it was through Princess. They do a wonderful job in Alaska! If you have any questions just let me know! I'd be happy to help if I can!

- First of all -- WHEN is your anniversary? This year or next???

- Holland America has a new 14-day route R/T Seattle. THIS YEAR

or NEXT YEAR. If the pages don't come up with itinerary visible, click that tab second from the left under the pics of staterooms. There are only 3 dates listed so far for 2017... not sure if that's all or more added later. Call and ask?

- This itinerary includes some stops not part of "common" trips. (Common trips are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway in some order -- which are fine fun stops.) This itinerary is Ketchikan, scenic cruising Tracy Arm, Juneau (can do heli-ride to glacier here)(can also do evening whale watching in the same day, but you don't have to because), Icy Strait Point (also has whale watching excursion), then Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, scenic cruising Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, and Victoria Island before returning to Seattle. I did not list pure sea days.

- Does not stop at Skagway so the railroad trip is a miss. But it is a fine tour with no pricy one-way Alaska flights or Canadian flights.

When we did 7-day one way + 2 week self-drive in 2009 -- I made some mistakes, but sailing Vancouver to Seward first was not one of them FOR US. My DH has a stressful job so it was important to do the cruise first so he could get relaxed to enjoy the mainland. Sailing out of Vancouver we went up the Inside Passage. After the fact, I liked the order of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Seward (then inland) best because each stop was more different, more ALASKAN!

Oh and my thoughts on Holland America -- I haven't tried most of the lines, but I have loved HAL since I was 50 (which was the above Alaska cruise). It is mellow and the crew/staff seem genuinely friendly and much happier than what we encountered our one foray with Norwegian. There are no formal nights any more, and if you feel underdressed in the Main Dining Room on Gala Night, the food in the Lido buffet is just as good, except maybe not the desserts!

HAL also has 13-day land-cruise or cruise-land journeys, leaving you a day for travel...

Edited by crystalspin

I did a 7 night northbound Princess cruise on Diamond Princess out of Vancouver. I will give you some idea of what it was like.

1. Northbound was less expensive than southbound. Don't ask me why, but it just was. Not sure if that is the same now, but it might be something to look at.

2. GET A BALCONY. Repeat, GET A BALCONY CABIN. We had an inside cabin and regretted it for the entire cruise. You will probably have at least 2 sea days and it was horribly trying to find any window seats in the general areas of the ship ESPECIALLY in the buffet. It would've been nice to just be able to sit out on the balcony and watch the beautiful scenery go by.

3. Going NORTHBOUND, get a STARBOARD (right side) cabin. That will put you on the "land" side rather than the "sea" side. You might see more animals that way. If going SOUTHBOUND, get a PORT (left side) cabin for the same reason.

4. If you go to Skagway and want to do the train leaving from Skagway, sit on the LEFT side of the train. You will be going up the mountain and all of the action will be on the left side of the train. They will also be giving all the scenic information on the way up the mountain.

5. If you really want to see the whales, I cannot recommend enough to take a Photo Safari excursion in Juneau. I booked it through Princess and it ended up being in the top 5 best shore excursions I have ever taken. It cost about $150-$200, but worth every penny. We saw sea lions, eagles, otters, humpback whales and even a killer whale came cruising past our little boat (and he was probably longer than our boat was!). Absolutely a must do if you want to see animals during your trip.

6. Glacier Bay was spectacular, so if you want to do it you won't be able to take a Royal Caribbean cruise.

7. If you have 14 days, then I would do the 7 night northbound cruise followed by 7 days in Denali (or however long you want to do). We really regretted not doing Denali (budget wouldn't allow it).

Good luck in planning your trip! Congrats on the 20th Anniversary! You won't regret taking this trip. Alaska was spectacular and I can't wait to go back someday. Oh, and don't go in May! It was freaking freezing and rained every day (except during our Photo Safari and at Glacier Bay). Go when it is warmer!

I am attaching a link to my Shutterfly share site so you can get an idea of what to expect on an Alaska cruise. Enjoy! https://2008alaskacruisediamondprincess.shutterfly.com/

I did a 7 night northbound Princess cruise on Diamond Princess out of Vancouver. I will give you some idea of what it was like.

1. Northbound was less expensive than southbound. Don't ask me why, but it just was. Not sure if that is the same now, but it might be something to look at.

2. GET A BALCONY. Repeat, GET A BALCONY CABIN. We had an inside cabin and regretted it for the entire cruise. You will probably have at least 2 sea days and it was horribly trying to find any window seats in the general areas of the ship ESPECIALLY in the buffet. It would've been nice to just be able to sit out on the balcony and watch the beautiful scenery go by.

3. Going NORTHBOUND, get a STARBOARD (right side) cabin. That will put you on the "land" side rather than the "sea" side. You might see more animals that way. If going SOUTHBOUND, get a PORT (left side) cabin for the same reason.

4. If you go to Skagway and want to do the train leaving from Skagway, sit on the LEFT side of the train. You will be going up the mountain and all of the action will be on the left side of the train. They will also be giving all the scenic information on the way up the mountain.

5. If you really want to see the whales, I cannot recommend enough to take a Photo Safari excursion in Juneau. I booked it through Princess and it ended up being in the top 5 best shore excursions I have ever taken. It cost about $150-$200, but worth every penny. We saw sea lions, eagles, otters, humpback whales and even a killer whale came cruising past our little boat (and he was probably longer than our boat was!). Absolutely a must do if you want to see animals during your trip.

6. Glacier Bay was spectacular, so if you want to do it you won't be able to take a Royal Caribbean cruise.

7. If you have 14 days, then I would do the 7 night northbound cruise followed by 7 days in Denali (or however long you want to do). We really regretted not doing Denali (budget wouldn't allow it).

Good luck in planning your trip! Congrats on the 20th Anniversary! You won't regret taking this trip. Alaska was spectacular and I can't wait to go back someday. Oh, and don't go in May! It was freaking freezing and rained every day (except during our Photo Safari and at Glacier Bay). Go when it is warmer!

I am attaching a link to my Shutterfly share site so you can get an idea of what to expect on an Alaska cruise. Enjoy! https://2008alaskacruisediamondprincess.shutterfly.com/

We did the Photo Safari with Princess too! It was the best! I couldn't believe how much wildlife we saw!! We even saw a couple killer whales breach (jump out of the water)!!!! It was amazing! My husband got it on video and I got pictures of it.

We did Skagway train to Yukon Territory and that was amazing too!!

I totally agree on the balcony too! We had such awesome weather and we were outside when we were doing the scenic cruising. But being at the front of the ship outside by a huge glacier - it was really cold! We had out winter coats on, hats gloves and wind pants and it was still cold. The ship started doing the 90 degree turn and we went back to our cabin and sat on the balcony to watch the rest. From our balcony you would here the ice calving (glacier ice falling into the water). There's nothing like it! And we were able to peel off all of our gear down to just jeans and a long t-shirt!

Another thought on the balcony - the further north you are, the more daylight you will have. One night I woke up at around 4am I think it was and I went out on the balcony and the sky with some clouds and the low angle of the sun along with mountains was so beautiful! And so peaceful!!! It was like it was just me and all that scenery on my own private ship :p

We have done at least8 Alaska cruises and here is my "cut" on viewing Glaciers:

In 3 trips up Tracy Arm, we have never gotten anywhere close to a glacier. Yes, you can see it way off in the distance and yes, the cruise up and down the fjord is beautiful, but if you really want to see a glacier up close, Tracy Arm is not the place.

Next up is Hubbard Glacier: it is enormous and has been, hands down, the most active glacier with calving that we have seen (3 times). However, two of those 3 times we have experienced rain and fog (which can happen anytime in Alaska)-we just "rolled" with it. One time the fog was so thick we never got to see it.

Finally: Glacier Bay: on a sunny day it is spectacular with several glaciers protected by stunning mountains all around. We have seen moderate to slight calving there. It is our all-time favorite. Even on a rainy day, it is still impressive, and you will be fairly close to several glaciers.

Regardless which itinerary you wind up choosing, you will be impressed with Alaska. The glaciers are only part of the experience. Hope you have a great trip!

You mentioned that you wanted casual, have you considered NCL? They have dress up or not nights so no dressy clothes required. We did a 7 day Northbound on the NCL Sun, Vancouver to Whittier. It now goes to Seward instead of Whittier. It doesn't go to Tracy Arm but it does go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier on the Northbound route. Then you'd still have a week for a land tour. You could take a shuttle or the train back to Anchorage to pick up a rental car and then have time to drive up to Denali and return to Anchorage for your return flight. I'd also recommend getting a travel guide for Alaska. I purchased "Alaska by Cruiseship" and it has lots of information on both the land and sea portions.