Maasdam No

fred 15

Was that 2016 or 2015? We were on the second half of the 2015 version and several people had plumbing type problems including flooding of cabins. I know some got relocated. Even those with those problems seemed to still have a good cruise as did we. The food, service etc were very good, normal HAL standards.

I am sorry the OP did not enjoy their cruise, that does happen sometimes, however it's not realistic to expect the same things on HAL as Oceania. That's why Oceania can charge so much more.

We were on 2016 cruise and got off 2weeks ago

HAL needs to get off the dime and stop milking their old ships.

Either sell them off or invest some real money in bringing them up to standard. I don't mean a lick of paint, new carpeting here and there, or some replacement soft goods. They need to invest in those areas that people don't see but rather experience. Or not experience as the case may be. Like AC and plumbing systems for a start.

Until then we avoid the oldies because we are not about to chance that they will not be goodies. Too many other great ships out there to experience-on HAL and on other cruise lines.

If those were the only two options, I'd opt for "bringing them up to standard". They have character and a nautical vibe, compared to newer looking ships of other cruise lines that I see while docked, which do not induce the slightest interest in me to sail on them.

However, I have not experienced the condition issue to be anywhere near that extreme. The cruises I take on HAL are the week or two in a year when I feel like I'm reveling in comfort!

I find it interesting when people get on any cruise ship and are "surprised" by what is or isn't on the ship. Don't people check out these ships before they book? 'There was nothing to do' How could you not know that and then complain?

I find it interesting when people get on any cruise ship and are "surprised" by what is or isn't on the ship. Don't people check out these ships before they book? 'There was nothing to do' How could you not know that and then complain?

What? So if someone has something like a/c or plumbing issues they should have known? How do you check that out especially if there are no previous concerns with a ship?

No, some people do not check these things out prior to sailing. Not all people are alike. Some do not have the time nor the inclination to do so.

Just got home today from Maasdam P.C. cruise.

Never again. Poor boarding, poor disembarkation, poor food and service. Lawrence, the lecturer we had on Regatta was good here, as was the lounge entertainment and staff. I am going back to Oceania

Sorry to read that your cruise was disappointing. As others have stated, the Maasdam certainly does have a checkered past, and seems to have developed a love it or hate it following. It is certainly a ship that I avoid.

OP - if you were comparing this cruise to Oceania, then you were comparing apples to oranges. Assuming your experiences on O have been good (unlike mine) it is a more expensive cruise line than HAL and is supposed to offer a better experience. Expecting what you get on Regatta on the Maasdam is setting yourself up for disappointment IMO.

Never again. Poor boarding, poor disembarkation, poor food and service. Lawrence, the lecturer we had on Regatta was good here, as was the lounge entertainment and staff. I am going back to Oceania

OP - if you were comparing this cruise to Oceania, then you were comparing apples to oranges. Assuming your experiences on O have been good (unlike mine) it is a more expensive cruise line than HAL and is supposed to offer a better experience. Expecting what you get on Regatta on the Maasdam is setting yourself up for disappointment IMO.

In some way I can relate to both of these posts. Many of you know my preferred line is Crystal and if I had gone on HAL expecting a Crystal experience I would be disappointed. Extra money for maintenance and guest speakers does make a big difference and one had to set the proper balance between paying for a little of the very best and a lot of lesser but still very nice.

Sadly, I also have to relate to the first point the OP brought up. First impressions are very important, and here is how I described my Ft. Lauderdale Maasdam embarkation:

"I checked out of my room just before 11 and had a short wait for the 11:15 shuttle to the port. My shuttle was all Holland America passengers roughly reflecting the size of the ships with 8 going to the Zuiderdam and 5 to the Maasdam. My impression is that Holland America is among the worst at handling checkin for ordinary passengers and that was certainly the case today. The line appeared quite long when I arrived at 11:45 and seemed to get worse in the 55 minutes I waited in line for somebody to take my ticket. The only staff response was to keep imploring the peons to bunch together tighter in line, much in the style of Japanese subway “crammers”. Even so the line was much longer at the end of my wait than at the start. While we stood around waiting, at least a third of the counter space in the terminal was unmanned. First impressions are important and my first impression of the Maasdam will always be that debacle. Come on HAL, you can do a LOT better."

I arrived as a fairly regular HAL cruiser and that tempered my disappointment but if the OP's experience was similar to mine I can certainly understand some frustration.

I will add that I think HAL offers a lot for the money and in fact I prefer it (in spite of the price differential) to one of the "luxury" lines I have sailed.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

6 HAL cruises - never had a problem embarking - always handled well - some waiting but I get there early and am willing to wait.

Wow, you've been lucky.;) I think I have learned more however, since wondering why we were stuck waiting for over 2 hours with no explanation.... now I know all about Noro and deep cleaning, LOL.

OP cites four areas of dislike, half of which (embarkation and debarkation) have little or nothing to do with the Maasdam or her crew. In any event, we're all entitled to our opinions, and I hope that the OP finds happiness elsewhere.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good cruise :(

Maasdam Yes. I agree everyone has there own experience and feelings on a particular cruise. I've been on several cruises were we had chain smokers in the balcony next to ours. I'm allergic to smoke and was not able to enjoy the balcony. Did it ruin my cruise, no, I did other things on the ship. That's one of the things I love about Maasdam, the Lanai cabin. We went on a 10 day cruise on the Maasdam last April with two other friends. Is the ship older, yes. Did it get me down, no. Did it bum my friends out, nope. I love the small ship feel and the crew was fantastic. The food was awesome.

March 27th my DW and 5 friends, two first time cruisers, are going on an 11 day cruise on the Maasdam. Will the cruise be free of problems, nope. Will I have a great time, yes. For me, I'm on a classic, refined cruise ship that's going to exotic locales, I'm being served great food, by very friendly people. I'm not at work! My cares and daily worries are not with me. I can read a book and watch the world go by. I can sleep in or wake up early and see the sunrise. I can walk around the ship at midnight and it feels like I'm the only one up. I can order a cheeseburger at 2am and its delivered to my room! I can sign and dance and people cheer you on! I meet new and interesting people. Can I have a bad cruise, I guess, but I'd really have to work for it. [emoji6] Happy sailing!

Perfectly said!:D

Curious that the OP has never returned.......

I doubt that the OP was looking to enter into any discussion. He cited his poor experience aboard the Maasdam, provided no significant details and stated his intention to go back to Oceania. End of story.

Elbow or finger?

Elbow Sail, bone was about 5 inches from where it should be - the funny bone and nerves that go with it.

I was very lucky to have the surgeon I did - it's very tricky and infections and complications with it are very high.

It's going to take a lot of time to recover and regain my arm. Your elbow does a lot more than you realize.

Lots of hardware now in the elbow. Working on lifting it with my physio so I can start packing next week. It's going to be a long, slow OUCH packing process. But, it will get done.

The contraption I had to wear ....

def476afb05a8e8ce3bc5eb2e6c67278.jpg

Edited by kazu

That is a major OUCH.

Was it from a fall?

Good luck with the packing.

Got knocked over - an errant cart made someone go with an errant car. They hit me. Better the cart than the car though. Of course, everyone stopped but the car who did the damage. And it could have been a lot worse. I was lucky with how hard I went down.

Thank you :). It is going to be tough, but I am working really hard. My physio is ramping me big time and will give me a full programme for the cruise and I have a wonderful roll call offering to help (or make sure I do the physio exercises).

Apologies for the thread drift.

Edited by kazu

Thanks Sail - LOL, I never get it right. The surgeon and physio laugh at me trying to say it. Yes, it is the same thing.

That's nothing. You should have seen the look on the pharmacists face when my poor mother announced to him that she just had a vitrectomy - and got that word wrong...

My ouches go out to you Kazu! Looks painful

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's nothing. You should have seen the look on the pharmacists face when my poor mother announced to him that she just had a vitrectomy - and got that word wrong...

Now that really did make me LOL!! Thanks for sharing that, I think I love your mother!:D

:D That's a good one!! :)

Elbow Sail, bone was about 5 inches from where it should be - the funny bone and nerves that go with it.

I was very lucky to have the surgeon I did - it's very tricky and infections and complications with it are very high.

It's going to take a lot of time to recover and regain my arm. Your elbow does a lot more than you realize.

Lots of hardware now in the elbow. Working on lifting it with my physio so I can start packing next week. It's going to be a long, slow OUCH packing process. But, it will get done.

The contraption I had to wear ....

def476afb05a8e8ce3bc5eb2e6c67278.jpg

So sorry to hear of your injury.

How long since your surgery?

Sending best wishes for a very successful recovery and hope you have a wonderful cruise.