Is Koningsdam not selling well?

OVgirl

Actually I think Europe is selling pretty well this year, a lot has to do with the US dollar being strong. I think a few travelers are a bit worried but not like you would think. There are some good deals out there for Europe but overall I think they are about the same as last year. Cruise lines had anticipated stronger sales this year so the prices started out high but with some of the threats of recent the cruise lines have started to reduce pricing. But they also did this last year. So far not seeing the prices dip as low as last year but time will tell, it is still early ;)

Overall I think travel is way up and spending much higher this year for US citizens. A bit of a drop in Canadian but not as much as expected.

I know of more people traveling to Europe this year than in the past two years. The Spring TA cruises have sold very well with not nearly the giveaway pricing.

Sounds like (almost) all good news. Appreciate the information. :)

I certainly hope that the first cruises on her will not be too rough on staff and passengers. She does look beautiful and I'm sure those that are fortunate to sail on her soon are very excited.

So, our second southern caribbean cruise together. Try not to lose you bags this time!

I'm happy to say I haven't had a repeat of the situation (fingers crossed). I pack a lot differently now so I did learn something from it.

Unfortunate, airfare is high. I can't fly round trip for less than $1350.

Yeah that can be the kicker. We found r/t airfare yesterday to London for next week at $640 so are taking an unplanned 4 day trip solely because it's so cheap right now vs normally. :)

Seems to me, an inaugural cruise should be deeply discounted in order to get the "guinea pigs" on board to test out the shake down cruise and not be disappointed if anything goes wrong. Disney does it with new attractions at their theme parks. They give away admission to willing "test subjects".

Our Baltic cruise in June is more expensive than what we booked last year and no explore 4, some categories are sold out (although as there are a no. Of btb cruises it does look inconsistent when you break them up).

I would think it would sell even better if HAL actually MARKETED a brand new ship. Sure experienced cruisers know about her (him? It is the King), first timers and other line devotees could easily miss it

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

We are watching Med pricing with an eye to pick up a last minute med cruise as an addition to a fall land trip.

We are seeing some good Med discounting this spring for HAL and Celebrity. Oosterdam and Millenium(I think) verandah pricing for $100 per idem. Friends of ours in the UK just bagged a great offer on a 32 day Azamara Med cruise in April. Not certain how they got such a great price. Just wish we could join them.. We are hoping that we may see, and take advantage, of similar pricing in Sept/Oct.

Yeah that can be the kicker. We found r/t airfare yesterday to London for next week at $640 so are taking an unplanned 4 day trip solely because it's so cheap right now vs normally. :)

Isn't it fun when deals like that pop up? Back in 1995, I stumbled on RT air to London for $250 pp on Delta. That was when Cincinnati still had NS flights to Gatwick. Needless to say, I jumped on that one and we took a 4 night, long weekend trip to London and we had a wonderful quick trip.

Not just the prices but the itineraries as well.

Koningsdam for similar itineraries to other Dam ships has more sea days. On the ones I was looking at 5 sea days vs 2 sea days. Creative descriptions like "cruising the Dardanelles" doesn't count as a destination but does sound better than "a day at sea".

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

Considering the strength of the US dollar, this is the best time in MANY YEARS to cruise in Europe. :)

Agreed. Our trip from Vancouver to Florence (via Amsterdam), then later Rome to Amsterdam, and then a few days later Amsterdam to Vancouver was only $670/pp. We live in WA but Vancouver is close enough we're able to take advantage of the huge difference in the exchange rate and it's worth driving up and getting a park and fly option with a Vancouver hotel.

I certainly hope that the first cruises on her will not be too rough on staff and passengers. She does look beautiful and I'm sure those that are fortunate to sail on her soon are very excited.

Come on, she doesn't look beautiful at all, it's a total disaster entering the fleet...

If you are willing/able to take a mid April Med cruise 24 day verandah cabins are selling for $1700 on O'dam and $2200 on K'dam. Less off course any TA rebates. Plus taxes.

Similar pricing in May and June. On Eurodam as well.

Those prices indicate to me that bookings are a little soft. Edited by iancal