Coastal Kitchen

Sorry this is a little off-topic but was wondering what the chances are my parents (who are staying in an AquaTheater Suite on Allure) will be able to join me (D+) in the DL? I know officially it's not permitted but I've been able to bring them in the DL on other class ships whenever they have the Gold SeaPass card. It's not really an issue on non-Oasis class ships since we all have access to the CL but with the different setup on Oasis class I'm hoping we'll be able to enjoy a drink or two in the DL before dinner.

I wonder if having a "Royal Genie" will help out here - as far as getting in with short notice w/out reservations. To me, at least with my suite restaurant experiences on NCL and Celebrity, not making plans/reservations was a nice feature... allowing us to be a bit more freestyle!

On the Equinox last week either the concierge was at the top of his game, or being in the penthouse carries some additional clout. We've been in all other suite categories, but I can't say I've heard as many "not a problem at all" replies to dining requests (and such) I've had in the past !

Tom

Tom - all reports point to the host/hostess of CK being mindful of the guest situation and controlling it. But, for instance, if I were traveling alone as I often do, they're not going to make me sit alone at a two top.

The Royal Genie is supposed to work magic. But none of us know yet. I once got to spend a week in a Garden Villa on Norwegian Star and the butler could basically make anything happen for us.

But I'm glad they'll have a few weeks under their belt before we board :)

Edited by MattInFLL

The beef on weck sandwich on Allure in Feb. was probably my one and only meal disappointment of the entire cruise. I had been building these sandwiches up to the entire group (22 in total)...only to find that they did NOT have the traditional au jus dipping sauce but some other nasty gravy. What a disappointment, and I lost all credibility with my western PA cruisers who are beef on weck connoisseurs.

I tried twice and both times they had that nasty gravy. What a huge disappointment !

That sounds like the same junk they were using on the Enchantment... totally different. It's the little things which make all the difference. Sad to hear that they're making changes to something which was by all measures (mine :D ) perfect!

The Royal Genie is supposed to work magic. But none of us know yet. I once got to spend a week in a Garden Villa on Norwegian Star and the butler could basically make anything happen for us.

But I'm glad they'll have a few weeks under their belt before we board :)

Without a doubt !!

Tom

Bob,

Does the elevator serving CK on deck 17 also go to all other decks? I'm trying to figure the best way to get to CK/SL from GS 8654. Kevin

Yes, but we often found it MUCH faster to walk down to 16 to catch an elevator down, especially during "busy" hours around dinner & shows.

We're sailing on the Allure in May (first time since CK), and it would cause me some concern if they allow the place to be used regularly by those not in suites (tagging along with suite guests). How often does this occur? It would seem to potentially cause either slower service or longer waits to be seated.

I've enjoyed both the Haven restaurant (NCL) and Luminae (Celebrity) several times. For both I don't think we've ever waited more than a couple minutes to be seated... no reservations needed. How does that compare

Tom

Much to do about nothing. It won't be a problem

We're sailing on the Allure in May (first time since CK), and it would cause me some concern if they allow the place to be used regularly by those not in suites (tagging along with suite guests). How often does this occur? It would seem to potentially cause either slower service or longer waits to be seated.

I've enjoyed both the Haven restaurant (NCL) and Luminae (Celebrity) several times. For both I don't think we've ever waited more than a couple minutes to be seated... no reservations needed. How does that compare to CK ?

... and by the way, how long has CK been around on the Oasis and Allure?

Tom

How would you (or anyone) know the difference between suite guests and visitors? [emoji15]

How would you (or anyone) know the difference between suite guests and visitors? [emoji15]

Precisely... I would not, only someone (hostess?) would know for sure what % of people in there are "visitors".

I won't be making dinner reservations for CK in part due to our booking including specialty dining as a perk. If we do dine there, we'll just show up and hope for the best. If there's a wait of more than a few minutes we'll go to a plan B.

Tom

With the implementation of the new Royal Suite Program dining in Coastal Kitchen, for dinner only, will be a named benefit for all sailing in a Junior Suite. Up until then JS could dine in CK on a space available basis for dinner only.

Coastal Kitchen initially had 2 menus that changed mid-cruise. On Oasis, in November, we were told they were in the process of changing to a different menu for each evening. With this change more may choose to dine there.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out......

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Yes. Coastal has started a daily rotating menu. But will offer "classics" every night like on the MDR menus. I did it one night on Anthem. Personally I didn't love the menu that night but service was fantastic.

We've already planned out our nights. 3 in CK and 4 in Specialty.

Yes. Coastal has started a daily rotating menu. But will offer "classics" every night like on the MDR menus. I did it one night on Anthem. Personally I didn't love the menu that night but service was fantastic.

Have you made the actual reservations, or are you relying on the Genie (either once onboard, or ahead of time)?

Tom

Is that on Oasis and Allure as well? I know Anthem had changed but there hasn't been confirmation on the other two as of yet. I hope so!

We had a full suite last October Allure transatlantic cruise and used the CK for breakfast and lunch several times but we only went on the last night to dinner, I wish we ate more often at night as it was great.

We will be using it more often on our Harmony transatlantic.

Thanks, Bob!

It was this thread that enlightened me--I didn't realize CK was available outside of dinner! Can you (or anyone) educate me on hours, offerings...or point me in the right direction of the RCI website/CC thread, please? TIA [emoji4]

We had a full suite last October Allure transatlantic cruise and used the CK for breakfast and lunch several times but we only went on the last night to dinner, I wish we ate more often at night as it was great.

We will be using it more often on our Harmony transatlantic.

CK is going to be a CF on the transatlantic.

Just sayin'.

:eek:

Have you made the actual reservations, or are you relying on the Genie (either once onboard, or ahead of time)?

Tom

I made the reservations when we had the CLS. I am a planning nerd. I have not cancelled them yet, because I figured once the Royal Genie contacts us (which should be soon, right?) I would just have them use my calendar as a guide of how we are trying to plan our week, and then cancel the specialties.

How do you all quote more than one other post?

Anyway, Irishgal - I thought it had been confirmed (by Carol maybe?) that the new CK menus would be on all CK ships. Someone should ask A&L who's doing the very extensive live review from Allure right now (or maybe someone already has).

I made the reservations when we had the CLS. I am a planning nerd. I have not cancelled them yet, because I figured once the Royal Genie contacts us (which should be soon, right?) I would just have them use my calendar as a guide of how we are trying to plan our week, and then cancel the specialties.

Anyway, Irishgal - I thought it had been confirmed (by Carol maybe?) that the new CK menus would be on all CK ships. Someone should ask A&L who's doing the very extensive live review from Allure right now (or maybe someone already has).

To quote the first of two posts, click on the box with the quote symbol in it. It will turn orange. To quote the second of two posts, then click on the box with the word "quote" in it.

:)

Thanks but I think it was just the Anthem. I hope I am wrong. I did ask a&l to check it out.

Tom, I was told that we did not have to make reservations for in the star class. The genie is supposed to take care of everything,

I am on the sailing with the new star class after only a week or so after it starts in May.

I booked it in Feb 2015 before we found out about all the extras.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app