Baltic Vs Med Cruise

tocruiseguy

A couple of questions for those who have been on both Med and Baltic Cruises (we have been on 4 Med cruises) Firstly, what is the weather like on sea days, are you stuck inside the ship? Secondly, just wondering why Celebrity Baltic cruises seem more expensive than Med cruises?

Thanks.

To start with the cost question -- the Baltic countries are some of the most expensive in the world to visit. I'm guessing any fees the cruise lines have to pay (docking, port fees) are probably much more expensive in the Baltics. Also, the season is shorter than the typical Med season (especially now that ships are in the Med from April through November) so there are fewer potential "passages" available in a given year -- thus, less discounting.

As to weather -- it of course will vary. Temperatures in the summer in the Baltics can be quite warm. We cruised in late May/early June and it was hot in some places -- in Stockholm the locals were all out in the parks in their shorts enjoying the sun. However, it could also be drizzly or chilly. There are no guarantees.

Edited by cruisemom42

We have done 3 Med cruises and a Baltic. We absolutely loved the Baltic. It was pretty expensive and out tours with SPB and our Cruise Critic Roll Call were so inclusive of everything you wanted or needed to see that we will not have to( or choose to) return a second time. We went late May- early June. One day would BR 80 and the next day 50, even in St Petersburg.in the med we had warm weather( early October) and rainy weather( late Oct- early Nov). We really need to go back toItaly, even though we did Rome and south then up through the Adriatic with. One stop in Greece. Would love to see Cinue- Terra and Tuscany, as well as Milan and the lakes before boarding the next one.

We did not get outdoors on the Baltic as the weather was extremely from Copenhagen to Amsterdam, and the rest were daily stops.glad we did not spend extra $$ to sail R/T from Southampton. Did 2 nights pre in Stockholm- a great city, and 2 nights post in Amsterdam..not enough time there.

We cruised the Baltic a couple of years ago at the beginning of August. Some ports were cooler 60's and 70s, but we hit a heatwave in St Petersburg and it hit 90! Our guide said she had never experienced weather like it! We didn't have any rain until we disembarked in Amsterdam.

We have done two med cruises and last year did Baltic. I did make it into the pool on one sea day (for about 10 minutes) but generally there was no need to pack shorts. On the other hand there was a need to pack sweatshirts and a rain coat.

As to weather -- it of course will vary. Temperatures in the summer in the Baltics can be quite warm. We cruised in late May/early June and it was hot in some places -- in Stockholm the locals were all out in the parks in their shorts enjoying the sun. However, it could also be drizzly or chilly. There are no guarantees.

We cruised the Baltics last July.

Our cruise was cheaper than the previous one which also went to the Baltics.

The first week was cold and wet, the second one ( August) was hot and we even sunbathed on deck.

My DH and I love the Med and Adriatic Cruises, but the Baltic has so much to offer. We enjoyed the cooler weather and the variety of ports, but St. Petersburg was unbelievable. Tallin enlarged its port area and that made it quite crowded. We were so lucky that it was drizzling when we were there and not many got off the ship until the sun showed its face later on in the morning. I believe it was in the low 60's. Since we always have our rain gear, we got off right away and had a lot of this beautiful and historic place almost to ourselves. So, be forwarded about Tallin if you go.

I would highly recommend seeing St. Petersburg with just the two of you, unless of course you travel with family or friends. You get to see so much more and never stand in line. We would always go the opposite way of all the tours. It was well worth the extra $$$. My DH was not sure at the beginning, but after he was so glad and enjoyed it so much! It was in the high 70's.

The variety of cultures around the Baltic area are just not to be missed, even though I am partial to the Med. It is totally different than the Med, Eastern Med and Adriatic. So, go for it and you won't be disappointed. There are lots of photos all over CC. The money is worth it and you leave with so many wonderful memories, not to mention an overall fantastic cruise.

Edited by Lastdance

As cruisemom42 stated above, the Baltic cruises have a much shorter season and that's why they tend to be more expensive. The weather can vary greatly, just like being in the UK for the summer :D. Always remember to pack a raincoat and a fleece and you'll be fine ;). I know others have mentioned St Petersburg and Estonia, but Stockholm is also a wonderful city. The Baltic itineraries are totally different from the Med, both are outstanding in their own way :).

A couple of questions for those who have been on both Med and Baltic Cruises (we have been on 4 Med cruises) Firstly, what is the weather like on sea days, are you stuck inside the ship? Secondly, just wondering why Celebrity Baltic cruises seem more expensive than Med cruises? Thanks.

Lots of good options and details have been summarized by cruisemom42 and other smart travelers. The costs, wages and taxes are higher for many of these Northern Europe countries. Sorry! Norway, Sweden and Denmark are among the three highest-cost countries/locations in the world. The cruise season is much shorter and more limited in the Baltics compared to the Med. That seriously affects cruise ship economics and forcing up pricing to compensate for the shorter periods to do bookings there.

Below is some info on the weather average there. Ideally, later June through August is going to increase your odds for the best weather there in the Baltics. Sea days are going to work decent for those parts during the summer. It will not be as "hot and pool-perfect" as you might get in the Med during these summer period, but it is not that bad for the Baltics.

Added questions and info needs?

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

Here are a few weather averages/details for these three key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each month from http://www.wunderground.com:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

St. Petersburg:

May, early: 60 high/41 low °F

May, mid: 62/44 °F

May, late: 65/46 °F

June, early: 68/49 °F

June, mid: 70/51 °F

June, late: 72/53 °F

July, early: 72/53 °F

July, mid: 71/52 °F

July, late: 70/51 °F

August, early: 66/48 °F

August, mid: 64/46 °F

August, late: 61/45 °F

Sept., early: 55/41 °F

Sept., mid: 52/38 °F

Sept., late: 48/36 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 137,890 views for this posting.

We cruised the Baltics last July.

Our cruise was cheaper than the previous one which also went to the Baltics.

The first week was cold and wet, the second one ( August) was hot and we even sunbathed on deck.

We did the Baltics in Aug 2007 and it was hot! Last year we were there again end May/early June and had gorgeous weather, bright and sunny, but a little chilly at times, temperatures upper 50s-60s. What's important is to layer, also carry a light waterproof jacket. Luckily I never needed to use mine:D

Two Med cruises in June and it has been pretty warm, this year we'll be there mid May and am hoping for cooler weather, though no rain please...;)

Edited by prish

We have done the Med. 3 times,Adriatic once, and Baltic once. We did Med. and Adriatic in fall and Baltic in spring. Have always had great weather. In fact we don't cruise in Europe during summer as it is too hot,crowded, and more expensive. Did a land tour in Italy once around Thanksgiving and weather was great. As far as rain,that is unpredictable and can happen any time of year. Happy cruising!:):):)

Everything is relative.

We were in Estonia a few years ago, and our friends took us to the "women's beach." We had long pants, long sleeved tops and a light rain jacket over the top (we live in the Rocky Mountains, BTW) and were quite comfortable. When we arrived at the beach, indeed, both women and children were sunbathing in the dunes in the nude. I commented about how tough these folks must be to forego clothes in that weather (was in the upper-50's - mid-June). The return comment (from our Swedish hosts) "The sun is out."

Everything is relative.:)

Not matter what time of the summer, a Baltic cruise is not a sun yourself cruise. Just note on a globe where the ports are in relation to the arctic circle and how far north you are in relation to portions of North America. It is mostly about seeing and learning history.

That being said it is a fabulous places to see. It is among the top cruises we've taken. Look for the two day St. Petersburg tour when your port their, if available, from the cruise line that way their are no repeated places to see. To separate tours will likely have repeats. If you are really adventurous consider the the two day tour and go to the ballet on the first night in St. Pete. It is a tight squeeze time wise but can be done. That is booked separately. Book those early as they fill up. There is also a local tour company called Red October which has had previous reviews.

We have cruised the Med, and are really looking forward to our Baltic cruise this summer. Thanks for all the useful info that has been posted. I was wondering about the weather, since I am the opposite of an over-packer, and hate to take clothing that will not be worn. Thanks for the recommendations.

Both areas are terrific.

As mentioned in the summer months the Mediterranean will be much more warmer/humid then the Baltic.

Both have lots to see and do.

I would do reading about both areas to figure out which one you might want to do.

Keith

We have cruised the Med, and are really looking forward to our Baltic cruise this summer. Thanks for all the useful info that has been posted. I was wondering about the weather, since I am the opposite of an over-packer, and hate to take clothing that will not be worn. Thanks for the recommendations.

Dress in layers like you would for an Alaskan cruise. Nothing real heavy by itself is needed. it might start out cool, then get quite warm from the sun...:cool:

_

Edited by Lastdance

We did the Baltics last August. It rained slightly the morning we were in Germany but apart from that we had lovely weather. Shorts most days. And yes there were a lot of us sunbathing on deck.

The last sea day as we headed back to Southampton the weather changed and it turned miserable. Could walk around outside but didn't want to hang around.

We all took rain jackets with us but didn't need to use them whilst we were in ports.

Loved the ports and most were so easy to just walk off and look around.

We did the Baltics in July 2015. I also am a frugal packer, and took mostly jeans, capris, and plain colored t-shirts for touring with a windbreaker. We experienced a little bit of everything weather wise, mostly on the cooler side but that's relative as we live in Texas and anything under 90 is cooler to us. We took the two day tour from SPB in Russia and it was worth every dime. The rest of the time we did our own thing including renting a van in Germany to drive to Schwerin. Lots of photos -- see the link in my signature.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did the Mediterranean two years ago in August. Stifling hot. The best part was Barcelona (stayed for days pre cruise) and a private tour in Nice. I loved seeing the famous sights in Italy but hot and crowded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app