Staff "demanding" good ratings?

OK, so 200 posts in, nobody has said WHY they bother filling in the survey. So, how about it? What is the point of bothering with it? Any benefit to the passengers of the system as it is currently set up?

My understanding is that they use the survey as a means of rating the crewmembers. For example, a waiter who scores high will tend to get more tables, and therefore make more money. Conversely, one who scores low will get tables taken away.

OK, so 200 posts in, nobody has said WHY they bother filling in the survey. So, how about it? What is the point of bothering with it? Any benefit to the passengers of the system as it is currently set up?

The benefit to the passengers is probably the same as for any company that surveys its customers. The company can improve in areas that consistently get low ratings, to hopefully improve those areas for future passengers. Similarly, the company can do more to retain high-performing employees, and eliminate lower-performing employees, which should tend to improve service for passengers.

The benefit to the passengers is probably the same as for any company that surveys its customers. The company can improve in areas that consistently get low ratings, to hopefully improve those areas for future passengers. Similarly, the company can do more to retain high-performing employees, and eliminate lower-performing employees, which should tend to improve service for passengers.

My understanding is that they use the survey as a means of rating the crewmembers. For example, a waiter who scores high will tend to get more tables, and therefore make more money. Conversely, one who scores low will get tables taken away.

Thanks for the answers. I would have said the same thing, except that the entire system seems to be working against those objectives if it is now functioning as it has been described. Leaves a customer who want to give real feedback either frustrated or reaching for the notepaper and a stamp.

Thanks for the answers. I would have said the same thing, except that the entire system seems to be working against those objectives if it is now functioning as it has been described. Leaves a customer who want to give real feedback either frustrated or reaching for the notepaper and a stamp.

Possibly, but in spite of the speech, I have given scores lower than 10 when I thought it was warranted.

I work hard too.

You've been on almost 30 cruises, you've posted over 30,000 times on cruise critic, and you REALLY want to compare how hard YOU work to how hard a worker on a cruise ship works? REALLY?

Do what you want to do (of course) but if you are telling me that hearing a short spiel from a cruise worker about a survey at the end of a cruise is a such a burden on your time then it just illustrates the quality of your character.

This isn't directed at you Bob but just a statement to the "not wanting to hear the speech" / "I can't be bothered with this" crowd:

I think most people here know that the people who work on the cruise ships are mainly from Eastern Europe, Asia and Latin America. They often leave their families behind to work contracts that are 4-6 months long in which they work 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week. They work hard. Everyone brings this up every time a tipping thread is created here on Cruise Critic. A majority of their pay relies on gratuities paid by passengers. It is a hard life especially compared to being on vacation as a passenger.

For people to WHINE about a short speech that a crew member gives about a survey is UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL.

The simple behavior here is easy: You politely listen, nod, and respond "Absolutely will do it", and smile.

You don't cut them off, threaten with bad scores, or any of this other drivel.

It consumes maybe 60 seconds of your time while you are enjoying the spoils of being on a cruise. Where is your humanity? Or do people not have that anymore?

If you don't like the labor practices of Royal then bring it up with their senior management.

You appear very invested in this survey. Do you work for a survey company? :p

I don't know, with 100% certainty, how they use the feedback. I'm going on my first RCL cruise in June. It doesn't sound like you only hear one short speech. It sounds, from this thread, that you hear it all the time and everywhere towards the end of a cruise. In that case, I wouldn't consider it the least bit disgraceful to not want to hear it again....to the contrary, it's disgraceful the staff is allowed to try to manipulate the pax survey answers.

Frankly, a better solution would be for the captain to get on the intercom and tell people how the survey is weighted and politely request everyone to remember to fill it out. They could do this once or twice, on the final night.

You've been on almost 30 cruises, you've posted over 30,000 times on cruise critic, and you REALLY want to compare how hard YOU work to how hard a worker on a cruise ship works? REALLY?

Do what you want to do (of course) but if you are telling me that hearing a short spiel from a cruise worker about a survey at the end of a cruise is a such a burden on your time then it just illustrates the quality of your character.

I think your keyboard is sticking. You keep typing with the cap lock on.

Please don't judge someone because they have better things to do with their limited vacation time regardless of how often they cruise or post.

Furthermore, it's not just the speech, sometimes it's the tone that can put you off.

I don't need it either

You appear very invested in this survey. Do you work for a survey company? :p

I don't know, with 100% certainty, how they use the feedback. I'm going on my first RCL cruise in June. It doesn't sound like you only hear one short speech. It sounds, from this thread, that you hear it all the time and everywhere towards the end of a cruise. In that case, I wouldn't consider it the least bit disgraceful to not want to hear it again....to the contrary, it's disgraceful the staff is allowed to try to manipulate the pax survey answers.

Frankly, a better solution would be for the captain to get on the intercom and tell people how the survey is weighted and politely request everyone to remember to fill it out. They could do this once or twice, on the final night.

There used to be incentive to fill it out. Heck, even McDonald's will give you a BOGO big Mac for filling one out

There are free text portions of the survey that I always fill out pointing out the good and the bad. My last include a question as to why they would sell a liquor in the store but not at the bars. I told them it was a bad tease.

If you want to tell me how I should act while on a cruise, then you pay for the cruise. Otherwise, you have no more right to tell me how to run my life then I do to tell you how to run your life. As to listening to a sales pitch during dinner, again I point out that there is a reason the do not call registry is so popular.

I vacation to get away from that. I don't appreciate someone deciding that (s)he can intrude on my vacation time just because they work hard. I don't go around interrupting other people's dinner because I work hard.

Since you don't know what I do, then you have no justification to compare the work I do to the the work the ship's crew does. How many cruises I've been on only speaks to how hard I do work. My post count means nothing.

If the best you can come up with is a count of my cruises and posts to justify your position, then you have a very weak position. I would rate your position a one, only because zero is not an option.

What is a do not call registry?

Something we have here in the US where we can register our phone numbers on this website and we're not supposed to get any sales calls anymore. Except from politicans who are exempt from the law.

What is a do not call registry?

This is limited to the USA ...

National Do Not Call Registry

Related Items

You can reduce the number of unwanted sales calls you get by signing up for the National Do Not Call Registry. It’s free. Visit donotcall.gov to register your number.

Most legitimate companies don't call if your number is on the Registry. If a company is ignoring the Registry, there’s a good chance that it’s a scam. If you get these calls, hang up and file a complaint with the FTC.

If I register my number, will ALL unwanted calls stop?

No, the Do Not Call Registry prohibits sales calls. You still may receive political calls, charitable calls, debt collection calls, informational calls, and telephone survey calls.

In addition, companies may still call if you’ve recently done business with the company, or if you’ve given the company written permission to call you. However, if you ask a company not to call you again, it must honor your request. Record the date of your request.

People were getting sales calls, usually at the time they were eating dinner. The complaints got so bad that the politicians had no choice but to act. If a sales call is made after your phone number is added to the do not call list, the caller can be fined $500 per call. Unfortunately new technology has made catching these people very difficult.

Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Federal Communications Commission plays a crucial role in helping consumers stop unwanted calls, text messages and faxes. FCC rules address unsolicited telephone marketing calls – including those using automated and prerecorded messages.

FCC rules under TCPA:

Require anyone making a telephone solicitation call to your home to provide his or her name, the name of the person or entity on whose behalf the call is being made, and a telephone number or address at which that person or entity can be contacted.

Prohibit telephone solicitation calls to your home before 8 am or after 9 pm.

Require telemarketers to comply immediately with any do-not-call request you make during a call.

Missouri Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill predicted, "If they [phone companies] came out with an ad, 'We're going to block robocalls,' I mean, I don't think they could handle the business they would get."
Edited by Cuizer2

Something we have here in the US where we can register our phone numbers on this website and we're not supposed to get any sales calls anymore. Except from politicans who are exempt from the law.

Shorter is better. ;)

And now the student has become the master.

That's because they write the law

You'll never guess who wrote the law.

I don't think it necessarily means that you can't leave feedback - if you are going to give a low score, their speech won't change it. But, if you were going to give an 8 or 9 anyway, why not just give the 10? I received the speech on my 1st cruise and I wouldn't have known otherwise. I admit I'm more prone to giving 8's or 9's - just how I typically rate things. But, certainly doesn't hurt me to give them a 10 instead. (Although, I think they used to have more places to write comments and expand - or am I wrong?)

If you want to tell me how I should act while on a cruise, then you pay for the cruise.

It is quite obvious that you have never listened to anyone in your life telling you how to act.

Otherwise, you have no more right to tell me how to run my life then I do to tell you how to run your life. As to listening to a sales pitch during dinner, again I point out that there is a reason the do not call registry is so popular.

You keep bringing up this do not call registry but there is huge difference between a telemarketer you hever met and a person who has been serving you for a week. It is obvious that you don't have the moral compass to understand the difference.

Since you don't know what I do, then you have no justification to compare the work I do to the the work the ship's crew does. How many cruises I've been on only speaks to how hard I do work. My post count means nothing.

If the best you can come up with is a count of my cruises and posts to justify your position, then you have a very weak position. I would rate your position a one, only because zero is not an option.

My last reply to you on this thread. Adios.

Think of it as 0-9=bad and 10=good. You'll still be rating honestly now that you know this.

Know what? Nevermind. There's no use trying to use these facts to convince people otherwise.

Stick with the pettiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Let me get this straight...

Taking time from my vacation to provide honest, detailed feedback makes me petty?

So...lying on your survey and giving 10s across the board means you have integrity?

If you chose to be disingenuous on your surveys, that is your deciscion.

I think it's unfortunate that you encourage others to do the same.

If you have an issue with the way RCI uses feedback...perhaps you should take that up with them rather than calling me "petty" and "elitist".

Fun fact...I have worked for years as a customer service auditor. Basically I take time to do what I am trained to do (and accustomed to being paid for) while on vacation.

You can keep handing out 10s if that's what makes you happy.

I will keep giving valuable feedback...because...

(...in my best Dr Suess voice...)

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." The Lorax

:)

Have great day!

It is quite obvious that you have never listened to anyone in your life telling you how to act.

You keep bringing up this do not call registry but there is huge difference between a telemarketer you hever met and a person who has been serving you for a week. It is obvious that you don't have the moral compass to understand the difference.

My last reply to you on this thread. Adios.

Carl, check yourself with the moral compass speech. Why should any of us participate in a program where unless the worker is rated the absolute best, nothing better is possible, the company takes money away from them? And you have the nerve to tell someone who doesn't want to be bothered with this scam that they have no moral compass? :rolleyes:

I get tired of the speech too. I usually stop them and say 'I know, you want 10s', and they smile and stop.

On one cruise they gave the speech a few times. Then on the last night, the asst waiter told me to wait, my waiter wanted to speak to me about something very important. I thought he was going to thank us for our generous tip, or wish us goodbye, whatever. We waited and waited. He finally showed up, and started giving the survey speech! I was beyond annoyed. I got up and left. I still think I gave him a 10 though.