Hotel in Southampton?

Kruzkrazy

Hello group,

DW and I will be in Southampton, England, for the Emerald cruise leaving May 14. We'll be arriving by National Rail train. Can anyone recommend a mid-priced hotel convenient to both the train station and the cruise docks?

Thanx,

KK

Try Premier Inn, not bad for the money, always reliable in terms of cleanliness etc

I agree. The Premier Inn is relatively new and basic with small rooms but the staff were very friendly and the location and price were great. We stayed there in August 2013 and would stay there again.

The Holiday Inn Southampton (not the Holiday Inn Express) and the Grand Harbour Hotel both have views of the ships sailing away and are a very short cab ride (5 or 6 Pounds) from Southampton Central rail station. Though slightly more costly than budget chains such as Premier Inn.

The Holiday Inn Southampton (not the Holiday Inn Express) and the Grand Harbour Hotel both have views of the ships sailing away and are a very short cab ride (5 or 6 Pounds) from Southampton Central rail station. Though slightly more costly than budget chains such as Premier Inn.

I recommend the Holiday Inn as well. Walked around town in the morning before the cruise and then walked to the cruise ship.

I also enjoyed the Holiday Inn & walked there from the train station after arriving from London although a cab would probably be a better option for most people. From the hotel we easily walked around the old town area & could see the ship from our room but took a cab to embark on the ship.

We are on the same cruise and flying in from the US a day early. We're sraying at fhe Novatel......recommended by our travel agent. See you soon!!!!!

We stayed at the Novotel and were quite satisfied with it. It was a short walk from the train station and a short taxi ride to the port. DH didn't care for the Nespresso machine in the room, but he still used it to tide him over until we got down to breakfast.

If you're walking around, be careful when crossing the street. That was the hardest thing while we were there. We instinctively kept looking the wrong way trying to cross the street. We ended up just crossing where and when the locals did.

We're on the same cruise and are staying at The Holiday Inn opposite the docks the night before. We're driving down & have a package that includes 15 days parking. See you aboard [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have found the Premier Inn to be very very compact with no amenities - I would opt for the Grand Harbour given the choice

The Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue Southampton has a swimming pool which costs nothing to use as does the Grand Harbour.

Both are a short walk to the Southampton shopping areas which are next to Carnival House.

Regards John

We had a terrible experience with the Holiday Inn a few years ago.

We stayed at the Grand Harbour in the fall of 2014 and 2015, and we were very happy with it. The rooms were clean and large, and the breakfast was delicious. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

My budget was limited so I stayed at Ibis budget ....very very simplebut it was fine .it was near shopping very convenient

Nearby you have Novoteland Ibis plus a few restaurants ..plus 2 huge malls to wander through

Do not miss fishand chips at Dukes of Wellington ...yummy

I liked Southampton ...charming

I have stayed at both the Holiday Inn and the Premier Inn. For 1 or 2 nights before a cruise I would definitely choose the Premier Inn in the future. It isn't fancy, bit it is less expensive, clean, has a restaurant, and is across the street from a large shopping mall. Both are a short cab ride from the train station and the cruise terminal.

We haven't stayed in Southampton yet, but for our summer cruise we chose the White Star Tavern because of its easy proximity to the ocean cruise terminal. It's only a half mile, so we figure we can taxi to the hotel from the bus/train station and take a leisurely walk the next day! It was actually less than either the Grand Harbour or the Novatel and we are always looking to enjoy a more "local" experience! We won't actually be able to give a fair review til after our summer cruise, but I thought I'd toss that out there in case anyone was still looking!

Hello group,

DW and I will be in Southampton, England, for the Emerald cruise leaving May 14. We'll be arriving by National Rail train. Can anyone recommend a mid-priced hotel convenient to both the train station and the cruise docks?

Thanx,

KK

The Travelodge in Castle Way. New hotel, cheap and comfortable.

Check out the Port of Call - Britain here on Cruise Critic great place to ask questions.

I have stayed at both Holiday Inn Herbert Walker(1x) and Premier Inn West Quay(2x), Both hotels you would need a taxi (under £10) to get to the pier. Both are walking distance to the West Quay shopping center.

I've stayed at the Ibis a couple of times, its a fairly simple basic hotel. Close to both the bus and train stations and several restaurants and a big shopping mall. It is walkable down to the cruise pier but with luggage I'd take a taxi its a pretty short ride.

If you can go in a day or two early. I took the train over to both Portsmouth and Winchester for the day. Very easy, cheap and convenient.