Anyone else stressing about the Travel Alert to Europe?

mom2dina

My wife is a born worrier and at no stage has she even mentioned about cancelling our cruse in September and we only just got back from the UK mainland last night and again no hint of any panic or stress from her.

Life is full of stress, but its how you handle it that counts.

What you and others are suggesting, that being aware of one's surroundings during travel, is somehow helpful against terror attacks, boggles the mind. Terrorists do an excellent job of blending into the scenery. You won't know about the attack until it's too late to do anything about it. Why not tell the truth? If you choose to travel, you may become a victim of a horrible attack? Then you should decide if you want to chance it. There is no shame in being afraid, but lying to yourself about your chances of escaping a targeted area is cowardly.

Take care,

Sharon

Sorry but you are wrong, if you watch, profile and know what to look for you can improve any situation. I do not drink, my hands are not full and I always know exits, security points, etc.

For a large percentage of the US population the reality is you are more likely to be murdered in the USA than you are to die of a terrorist attack in Europe.

The US leads the world in mass shootings and most urban areas(the population centers) in the US have far higher murder rates than the European cities.

London has ~8.5million people and had 113 murders last year.

Dallas has ~1.25million people and had 136. Dallas has had 41 murders through 3 months of 2016(almost 100% increase over the first three months of 2015). These numbers are Dallas proper, and don't include any other part of the DFW metroplex. Its much higher when including the entire metro area.

My wife and I have 7 days in Paris, followed by 26 days on Navigator(Baltic and Med), following by 7 days in London. We haven't even considered canceling in the slightest. Although we are hoping others do so we might be able to snag a jr suite for not much more than we are paying for a hump balcony.

Edited by wreckem2013

Many varied opinions here, and everyone is entitled to theirs but I can't go down the road of being afraid to travel.

I've been traveling alone for over 30 years, some 25+ cruises since 1982, most longer, other places, I don't go to the Caribbean. I'm leaving April 17th, a TA plus Baltic cruise and would never consider not going.

In 2001, I was on a New England cruise, leaving New York on 9/10. We were in New York 2 days before the cruise, doing plays, going out to eat, etc., a great weekend. The cruise continued on ending in Montreal, it was subdued but a good cruise nevertheless.

I cannot see myself, even in my late 60s, adjusting my choices, or what I want to see and do because I'm afraid or worried.

Edited by susancruzs

It's being reported that the Brussels attack was targeting Americans. The airline counters were American Airlines and the metro stop was the one near the US Embassy.

Maybe DH misunderstood that

Listen I want to go but DH ond DS are apprehensive

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I doubt this particular Metro stop is used solely by people going to and from the embassy. There are other buildings in Brussels.

THEY want to disrupt our / your lives, THEY want you to boycott towns / Cities / Countries.....

Changing travel plans means THEY have won....:(

just saying'

ISIS are winning anyway. whilst we are lighting candles and singing peace songs with a wringing of hands they are plotting the next scene of death and destruction.

Wouldn't have wanted to be in Brussels this weekend.

Greece is relatively safe, as long as you don't mind loads of migrants wandering around with their hand out.

You've been there, seen this, personal experience, spoken with the refugees from war-torn Syria? Have you been to Lesbos, Kos, Idomeni, Athens?

ISIS are winning anyway. whilst we are lighting candles and singing peace songs with a wringing of hands they are plotting the next scene of death and destruction.

Darn white nativists spoil a good vigil! ;)

Keep in mind this alert is for US citizens only. Americans are, unfortunately, even more a target than the rest of us.

Even though, as a Canadian, I'm almost as much as a target as my Yankee cousins, my government has not issued a blanket alert for travel to Europe.

Point is, when you travel, avoid anything that would suggest your nationality. I know most Americans are very proud to be so, but leave the Stars and Stripes branded clothing at home, as well as anything that might suggest your origin (such as, say, college/NCAA stuff).

Also, avoid baseball caps. Wearing a ballcap in Europe basically announces to everybody that you're American.

Do this and you'll just been seen as a generic "Western Tourist". Still a target, but less of one.

For additional stealth, avoid looking like a tourist at all. Skip the shorts (Europeans don't wear them, except at the beach or for sports), fanny pack, DSLR around your neck, backpacks, running shoes, etc.

Edited by Dunnik

Don't worry about shorts and sneakers if you are young, slim, and fit. (Ok, some young ones are neither slim nor fit.) Beyond that spring age, women do not generally wear shorts in town. Skirts and long pants are more likely. It depends on the weather. The terrorists in Brussels and Paris did not specifically target tourists anyway.

You've been there, seen this, personal experience, spoken with the refugees from war-torn Syria? Have you been to Lesbos, Kos, Idomeni, Athens?

I don't know why I am wasting my time answering this tosh but maybe we get more reports here in Europe. I have been to Lesbos previously, small place that has thousands of migrants landing their every day. Bound to have an impact, seen it in Germany too. Spoken to any refugees...er no:p according to reports only about 30% of the arrivals are from Syria, the rest being economic migrants.BTW bookings for Lesbos are 90% down. Perhaps you could go there and make a stand.:D

Edited by moniquet

Keep in mind this alert is for US citizens only. Americans are, unfortunately, even more a target than the rest of us.

Even though, as a Canadian, I'm almost as much as a target as my Yankee cousins, my government has not issued a blanket alert for travel to Europe.

Point is, when you travel, avoid anything that would suggest your nationality. I know most Americans are very proud to be so, but leave the Stars and Stripes branded clothing at home, as well as anything that might suggest your origin (such as, say, college/NCAA stuff).

Also, avoid baseball caps. Wearing a ballcap in Europe basically announces to everybody that you're American.

Do this and you'll just been seen as a generic "Western Tourist". Still a target, but less of one.

For additional stealth, avoid looking like a tourist at all. Skip the shorts (Europeans don't wear them, except at the beach or for sports), fanny pack, DSLR around your neck, backpacks, running shoes, etc.

I think you're getting paranoid. Today's bomb was in Pakistan and killed 65 Pakistanis. These people hate everyone equally.

But they are not.

Reports suggest that they are shrinking, and experts reckon that they will have to otherwise they will collapse on themselves with poor structure

I think you're getting paranoid. Today's bomb was in Pakistan and killed 65 Pakistanis. These people hate everyone equally.

One man's sensible precautions are another man's rampant paranoia.

That aside, another bonus of not looking like a tourist is you're less likely to be targeted by pickpockets.

Agree completely with wreckem2013.

We are far more concerned about travelling in the U.S. than we are in parts of Europe. Cannot understand why anyone would think that travelling in the U.S. is inherently safer than travelling in Europe. It isn't. But clearly people have a greater sense of safety at home which may account for this inconsistency.

It is a country where a two year old pulled a revolver out of the mothers purse in a Walmart store and shot her to death. Does this mean we should avoid Walmart stores or women with infants? Or the other nutter who shot himself to death while playing with a gun for a selfie. Or the former police officer who pulled his gun in a Denver theatre and shot someone because the person was texting during a movie. These random instances of violence concern us every bit as much when we travel as do the issues in Europe. Then there the apparent frequency of mass shootings. Safer at home? I don't think so.

Edited by iancal

Australian travellers have been given the same alert. It is a warning. I've been on a cruise to Asia and the company cancelled a port because of security warnings. If a port is not safe the company will skip it and go on to the next one.

For those interested in the STEP program listed above, I have contacted them for information on registering a trip if it is a cruise with different ports and no hotels. I will report back what I hear.

Looking forward to hearing the answer. Thanks.

Ugh, my husband says to cancel because "Europe" is a hot spot right now... I don't think we should because things happen everywhere. I'm just real stressed out about it.

I told him he has 3 days to come up with something better before the deposit becomes non-refundable.

Not sure what to do .... Anyone else dealing with this?

Sorry initially put ban instead of alert

"

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

"

Problems do happen every where these days... we have just returned from Paris and Israel. I would avoid Belgium, Turkey, Egypt... but still travel.