Anyone else stressing about the Travel Alert to Europe?

mom2dina

Ugh, my husband says to cancel because "Europe" is a hot spot right now... I don't think we should because things happen everywhere. I'm just real stressed out about it.

I told him he has 3 days to come up with something better before the deposit becomes non-refundable.

Not sure what to do .... Anyone else dealing with this?

Sorry initially put ban instead of alert

"

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

"

You have to do what you feel is best. No one can answer that for you. I personally would not go to Europe and visit tourist areas right now, but only you can make that call

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

I'm curious...but not quite curious enough to read through 10 pages to find the answer.

OP - What was the decision?

Coincidentally, my son got final approval this week on his summer grant so he's finalizing his travel reservations for 8 weeks in Germany. Considering he's a graduate student at University of Chicago, thought by some to be the most dangerous city in America, coupled with that fact that we raised him about 20 minutes outside of New York City, maybe I should consider this a move toward safety?!?! Nothing makes me as happy as his embracing of the remarkable opportunities he's earned!!

I think it is a matter of comfort level. I cancelled my vacation because I was stressed and it was supposed to be a vacation. I have vacationed in Europe every summer for the 8 years. Still going to Europe but changed to more out of the mainstream. Tourists seem to be the targets and I have enough stress. There are too many other places that I have not seen. I don't care if that is letting terrorists win because they win if they kill you. I get sick of having gun violence thrown in my face. The statistics are exaggerated

I don't have the patience to read this whole thread-- but I'm on my way to Puerto Rico tonight to pick up my one-way repo cruise back to New Jersey. I'm so much more concerned about Zika warnings!!! I don't want to let violence deter me from living my life-- mosquitoes, maybe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't have the patience to read this whole thread-- but I'm on my way to Puerto Rico tonight to pick up my one-way repo cruise back to New Jersey. I'm so much more concerned about Zika warnings!!! I don't want to let violence deter me from living my life-- mosquitoes, maybe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've in Puerto Rico for a week now. No bites. Just a little Deet after my sunscreen. Not even in El Yunque... Haven't seen the roving gangs or demonstrations that my ex warned me about. Said the PR economy is tanked like Greece and I needed to be very careful. Maybe why he is my ex...

We had no intentions of taking a Med cruise this fall because our dollar is so low. We plan to be in Greece in the fall. Med cruise prices have dropped so I have no doubt that we will pick up a last minute cruise...perhaps even a B2B.

We exercise caution. We do some research. We also understand that Gov't warnings such as our External Affairs or State Dept. can have a political overtone, can be very much CYA, as well as contain factual information. It is all in the presentation. Europe is very large and very diverse.

We had no intentions of taking a Med cruise this fall because our dollar is so low. We plan to be in Greece in the fall. Med cruise prices have dropped so I have no doubt that we will pick up a last minute cruise...perhaps even a B2B.

We exercise caution. We do some research. We also understand that Gov't warnings such as our External Affairs or State Dept. can have a political overtone, can be very much CYA, as well as contain factual information. It is all in the presentation. Europe is very large and very diverse.

Thanks for returning this thread to the actual topic.

I was just in Italy for a couple of weeks. There appeared to be more security than usual around Rome, but I'm unsure whether that has to do with the Jubilee Year, the fact that the Rome Marathon was being run on the weekend I was there, or terrorism. Regardless, no one seemed to express any anxiety over it.

I will be in Italy again in June for another couple of weeks, and I am also looking forward to my cruise visiting ports in southern Spain and Morocco in the fall. No thoughts of cancelling any of these planned trips.