Library Facilities on Celebrity

IanL

I am travelling on the Millennium out of Hong Kong in October/November.

Can anyone describe the Library facilities especially the type of books. We read in English, French and Spanish.

thanks

ian

Type of books? Both novels and some non-fiction. A very few in other than English. The more current novels disappear into cabins fast and do not reappear till the last day. Probably 500 books that dwindles to a couple hundred really fast. Need to go there first on boarding.

I have found that most ship's libraries do not have very many books that I have not read or many books to my liking. My solution was to get a kindle and load it with books to enjoy while traveling. On amazon you can get many books cheaply or get kindle unlimited for next to nothing! Just a suggestion from an avid reader!

There will be books of all genres, classics, current and past best-sellers, fiction and non-fiction. But it will change from cruise to cruise as people who read books might bring some on their cruise and then leave them after they finish.

You ought to be able to find something, but it seems most people bring their e-readers. A ship's library is never going to be even a close substitute for your local library at home. It's a great place to sit in relative peace and "quiet" and read, knit, do needlework, etc.

Can anyone describe the Library facilities especially the type of books. We read in English, French and Spanish.

thanks

ian

Got of the Millennium last month.

The library is but a shadow of what it once was (now only on one floor with very few books). Many, however, are foreign language due to the varied demographics of those itineraries. Bring an E-reader if you want to read extensively.

Got of the Millennium last month.

The library is but a shadow of what it once was (now only on one floor with very few books). Many, however, are foreign language due to the varied demographics of those itineraries. Bring an E-reader if you want to read extensively.

Totally agree. I'm not sure why they bother with the books as they are mostly really obscure titles. An E- reader is a much better bet.

My mother in law was disappointed in the selection on the Silhouette. I agree that your best bet is to bring your own books, or even better, an eReader, so that you aren't left with nothing to read. It is a nice place to sit with a book, however, regardless of whether you bring your own or choose one of theirs.

Funny story: on Connie in February I finished the book I was reading so browsed in the library. There was a section of "left" books and one caught my eye - further noticed it was from a Miami High School, with an early January due date...obviously a student brought it on vacation and forgot it several cruises before. I read it, brought it home and mailed it back to the school. My good deed for the day.

The Connie had a lot of books in several languages.

I know about books and I still have no real idea, except for the demographics of X's cruises that they still have a library. Get a Kindle and prime, kindle unlimited and enjoy.

PS: there is still a place for public libraries.

I do bring my tablet now, with the Kindle App, but I confess for me personally there is nothing like the feel of a real book in your hands. I also do not like bringing my tablet to the beach - a book is much less likely to be stolen or ruined by sand.

As to the libraries - agreed, a shadow of their former selves. I never have seen any current editions of anything - just copies of past best sellers along with various other titles. Anyone wishing to read a lot needs to come with their own supply of reading material unless they are willing to read just about anything, no matter how old or outdated.

A visit to the library is an important part of every embarkation day for me. I do have an e-reader which I load with library books prior to my cruise, but I also enjoy browsing the books that are available in the library. I have never failed to find something, usually several books, that are to my taste. I prefer mysteries, but I will read anything that catches my eye. I love both the quiet space and the selection that I have found on board.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Although I have an Ereader I do like to read real books,some of which you need to constantly move backwards and forwards to reference. I also like the occasional inspiration of someone else's choice. On two separate islands in both the Caribbean and Indian Ocean, hotel libraries carry the first four volumes of Proust ' s "a la recherche du temps perdu". To each his own.

Thanks again.

Ian

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Although I have an Ereader I do like to read real books,some of which you need to constantly move backwards and forwards to reference. I also like the occasional inspiration of someone else's choice. On two separate islands in both the Caribbean and Indian Ocean, hotel libraries carry the first four volumes of Proust ' s "a la recherche du temps perdu". To each his own.

Thanks again.

Ian

Ian,

If I were you I would not expect much from the library. Although I have not sailed on the Millenium, I did sail on the Connie last year. I was very disappointed with the library aboard. Very limited in the selection of books that were available. I read a lot when I am at sea, so I will usually bring half a dozen books or so with me, usually paperbacks. When I finish them I leave them in the library for others to enjoy. On the Connie they all disappeared from the shelves within a day, as they just didn't have much to choose from. I do not use an e-reader as I prefer the feel of a real book, but I know many people do enjoy them. I enjoyed my cruise on the Connie but I thought they had the poorest library at sea that I have ever seen, and being an avid reader, that is important to me. If I were you I think I would load up the e-reader and bring a few books you will enjoy. Good luck and Happy Sailing.

Have NO idea what Celebrity does with the paperback books people leave in the library. They almost NEVER show up on the shelves. We have left numerous ones in the library and have never seen them show up on the shelves.

It is simple - leave a book and take a book.

Funny story: on Connie in February I finished the book I was reading so browsed in the library. There was a section of "left" books and one caught my eye - further noticed it was from a Miami High School, with an early January due date...obviously a student brought it on vacation and forgot it several cruises before. I read it, brought it home and mailed it back to the school. My good deed for the day.

The Connie had a lot of books in several languages.

Great story!!

To the OP try to go to the library ASAP, it will be your best chance of getting something good. Now, I bring my tablet with many e-books but I used to leave a couple of books at the end of our cruises. Like many of you I miss real books. [emoji20]

thanks

ian

I'll be on her in August. Ask again in mid September and I can give you a reasonably up to date answer. For me, I read on my tablet mostly. On my last Infinity cruise I picked up a sports autobiography in the library. I am not a huge baseball fan (particularly National League baseball), nonfiction fan, nor autobiography-of-obscure-people fan. But this one was quite compelling, not enough time to finish it onboard, so I purchased an e-book version later once ashore. My point I guess is that even slim pickings can yield interesting reads.