Cuba

Iluv2cruz918

Now that we American's are able to go into Cuba. When do you think NCL will be making ports of calls there? I'm thinking that only the smallest of ships can get in there initially. I'd love to see the island before modernization gets to it.

I expect it will be a little while yet before some of the mass market lines call there, however Fathom Cruises just announced they will begin calling in Cuba.

They have but there cruises are rather expensive, in the neighborhood of $3,000 for a week.

I didn't realize that Americans can now visit Cuba for the purpose of tourism. Did that just change recently? I know there are certain reasons such as sports or cultural exchange but I didn't know tourism and spending money there is now allowed.

Right now it appears there are guidelines for travel to Cuba. This is taken in part from Cruise Critic, 20 tips for Americans cruising to Cuba:

As the regulations stand right now, all Americans who cruise to Cuba need to be affiliated with a company that either has a "people to people license" -- meaning they have proven to the U.S. government that their trips fall under the 12 accepted forms of cultural and humanitarian exchange -- or is affiliated with a nonprofit holding that license.

I didn't realize that Americans can now visit Cuba for the purpose of tourism. Did that just change recently? I know there are certain reasons such as sports or cultural exchange but I didn't know tourism and spending money there is now allowed.

We can't. Carnival Fathom is going but you have to do humanitarian work on the island while in Cuba. Working while on a cruise is not my idea of a great, relaxing vacation.

I believe it will be some time before Americans can travel there freely.

Travel restrictions have not been lifted (yet), but it has always been possible, and not even all that difficult, for US citizens to travel to Cuba, either illegally or legally (or by arranging a trip that is legitimate on paper, but then actually deviates from the declared itinerary to include a lot more purely recreational tourism, which remains illegal as the primary reason for travel).

You are right; travel is still very restricted. I am guessing it will be a few more years before we will see a huge number of ships using Cuba as a port. I know, if it happens while we are still cruising we would want to go. Of course the price would control that somewhat.

Now that we American's are able to go into Cuba. When do you think NCL will be making ports of calls there? I'm thinking that only the smallest of ships can get in there initially. I'd love to see the island before modernization gets to it.

Americans can't just go to Cuba to visit

Stop believing the "entertainer type" reporters and every single thing the media wants to report....they do it to keep your attention ....not to report a story

Yes....it's getting easier to go to Cuba.....for certain purposes....but by no means are we Americans able to just go to Cuba

Fwiw....my Cuban neighbors want nothing to do with going back to visit the place

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am thinking that some Americans would like to cruise to Cuba; myself included. It is a niche vacation. Some of us like the educational and cultural part of a cruise that visits other places. This happens on Med cruises.

I do not think that the Fathom costs are prohibitive (especially for solo cruisers, we are used to it ;)). I am hoping the more visitors allowed will help the people that live there; we can always hope we are there to help.

Safe cruising all!

We can't. Carnival Fathom is going but you have to do humanitarian work on the island while in Cuba. Working while on a cruise is not my idea of a great, relaxing vacation.

I believe it will be some time before Americans can travel there freely.

Fathom is going under the "people to people" exemption. Not humanitarian exemption. Passangers won't be asked to teach classes, till the soil, or did ditches.

Fathom is going under the "people to people" exemption. Not humanitarian exemption. Passangers won't be asked to teach classes, till the soil, or did ditches.

In addition to Fathom, there is a "Cuba Cruise" from Montego Bay, Jamaica that ports at Santiago, Havana, Maria La Gordo, and Cienfuegos.

Google for details.

Edited by evandbob

But people-to-people exchanges still have strict rules (at least in theory) requiring you to maintain a full schedule of cultural/educational activities, with records to prove it. This means that there will some kind of obligation to participate in the ship's excursions for at least 8 hours per port (hopefully these are included in the cruise fare). It's not digging ditches, and I'm sure it's exactly what the people booking fathom are looking for, but I think most people on this board value the freedom to explore independently in port (or even stay on the ship if they choose to). And that is still impossible in Cuba.

I do not think that the Fathom costs are prohibitive (especially for solo cruisers, we are used to it ;)).

But as a solo you would pay the supplement on top of that (unless you agree to let them match you up with a stranger). And they estimate another $500pp in taxes, not included. :eek: Edited by hawkeyetlse

But people-to-people exchanges still have strict rules (at least in theory) requiring you to maintain a full schedule of cultural/educational activities, with records to prove it. This means that there will some kind of obligation to participate in the ship's excursions for at least 8 hours per port (hopefully these are included in the cruise fare). It's not digging ditches, and I'm sure it's exactly what the people booking fathom are looking for, but I think most people on this board value the freedom to explore independently in port (or even stay on the ship if they choose to). And that is still impossible in Cuba.

But as a solo you would pay the supplement on top of that (unless you agree to let them match you up with a stranger). And they estimate another $500pp in taxes, not included. :eek:

I was merely clarifying a false statement that Fathom passengers would be on Humanitarian missions. You are right, the Fathom cruises are not your typical sun and fun cruises. Perhaps those who are choosing Fathom, are looking forward to a highly organized cultural/educational cruise to a destination they have never been to. For me, I'll wait until Fidel croaks.

I was merely clarifying a false statement that Fathom passengers would be on Humanitarian missions. You are right, the Fathom cruises are not your typical sun and fun cruises. Perhaps those who are choosing Fathom, are looking forward to a highly organized cultural/educational cruise to a destination they have never been to. For me, I'll wait until Fidel croaks.

Sorry, I was going by what I have read and it states that it is humanitarian. Fathom's Press Release:

http://www.cruiseexpress.com.au/upload/documents/fathom%20press%20release%20%281%29.pdf

Media Release – September xx, 2015

World’s first social impact cruises

with new humanitarian cruise line, Fathom

Launched in June this year, Fathom offers purpose-driven travellers immersive, cultural exchange programs

where passengers spend their time ashore helping locals improve their quality of life.

The new humanitarian journeys are aimed at growing numbers of socially conscious travellers keen to make

lasting contributions to less well-off destinations they visit, with Fathom also hoping to foster rich and

fulfilling cultural exchanges between passengers and locals.

Activities passengers can join

include reforestation, clean water and cottage industry programs and the chance

to work alongside local teachers to improve English skills.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Sorry, I was going by what I have read and it states that it is humanitarian. Fathom's Press Release:
What you quoted was not fathom's press release, but a press release/advertisement written by an Australian travel agency. You can find more accurate and up-to-date information from fathom's own website.

It's the cruises to the Dominican Republic that offer opportunities for passengers to volunteer their time and energy on humanitarian excursions. But they also have purely recreational shore excursions, and I don't think they require everyone to do humanitarian work (but people who choose this cruise probably want to do some anyway).

http://www.cruiseexpress.com.au/upload/documents/fathom%20press%20release%20%281%29.pdf

Media Release – September xx, 2015

World’s first social impact cruises

with new humanitarian cruise line, Fathom

Launched in June this year, Fathom offers purpose-driven travellers immersive, cultural exchange programs

where passengers spend their time ashore helping locals improve their quality of life.

The new humanitarian journeys are aimed at growing numbers of socially conscious travellers keen to make

lasting contributions to less well-off destinations they visit, with Fathom also hoping to foster rich and

fulfilling cultural exchanges between passengers and locals.

Activities passengers can join

include reforestation, clean water and cottage industry programs and the chance

to work alongside local teachers to improve English skills.

Fathom:

Humanitarian cruises to Dominican republic

People to People cruises to Cuba

But as a solo you would pay the supplement on top of that (unless you agree to let them match you up with a stranger). And they estimate another $500pp in taxes, not included. :eek:

I do realize that; still not out of the realm that a solo pays at times. :)