Vacation math vs common core, both are silly

smurf1635

We love to cruise and we also love to not go broke doing it. With that said, we make plans to get the best bang for our buck. We've done day passes at resorts and currently have one booked in Nassua for our cruise in April.

After doing some basic math, I'm wondering why, why, why? I know we booked it as a "party" day, because alcohol is inculded. So we are going to spend $80 per person, for 5 hours of "fun", plus the cost of transportation to and from the resort. That works out to $16 per hour, or almost 1/3 of what it would cost us for the cheers program. Why do we think this is a bargain?

For $2.08 an hour, we can have 6 full days of fun, at our leisure, just by purchasing the cheers program. The new cheers program is looking better and better all the time, especially after you throw in a couple of coffees a day.

You're paying $2.08 per hour for a 24 hour day. However, approximately 6-8 hours are wasted. You'll have to sleep sometime.

Assuming you'll sleep 7 hours a night (which I think is very low for vacation), you'd be paying $2.93 per hour. Still a bargain, but not quite as large.

See your point but you can reduce costs by a bunch by doing the A1 on your own.

All the cruiseline does is provide transportation but often wants you to come back way earlier than necessary.

$80 per person plus transportation, is doing an AI on our own.

We love to cruise and we also love to not go broke doing it. With that said, we make plans to get the best bang for our buck. We've done day passes at resorts and currently have one booked in Nassua for our cruise in April.

After doing some basic math, I'm wondering why, why, why? I know we booked it as a "party" day, because alcohol is inculded. So we are going to spend $80 per person, for 5 hours of "fun", plus the cost of transportation to and from the resort. That works out to $16 per hour, or almost 1/3 of what it would cost us for the cheers program. Why do we think this is a bargain?

For $2.08 an hour, we can have 6 full days of fun, at our leisure, just by purchasing the cheers program. The new cheers program is looking better and better all the time, especially after you throw in a couple of coffees a day.

You are valuing the AI strictly on its alcohol value ? You don't say this explicitly but you are comparing it directly to Carnivals drink package . Therefore why not just buy a cheap bottle of no-name island Rum and drink it on the pier . No cost for transportation. I bet you can get a bottle for 4 bunks so only 50 cents an hour . Bargain! (If you must have a mixer that may increase the cost. Sorry). :p

I know your post is mostly humorous but many think this way .

Edited by richstowe
A ha - Had to Google common core . Get it now

We never go to an AI resort when on a cruise. Why when we can have all the food we want on the ship? Also, most places have a public beach near the ship somewhere and we love buying from the locals. Nothing better than 2 for $5 margaritas in Progreso on the beach, or going down to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk. We don't get the cheers program, but it still makes no sense to go for an AI resort when you have most everything provided on the ship.

There are other reasons than just drinking to get a day pass. We like them to see something different, to check out hotels for future travel, to get away from the crowds on the ship, to enjoy the beach, to use the water sports, etc.

If you don't think it's worth it, don't do it.

The A1's we have gone to have been in Cozumel and cost $ 50-55 plus transportation.

We cant drink enough to make it worthwhile at that price.

My wife doesn't drink but I drink enough for us both. One time walking through the port area to get back on the ship, I was told I was carrying flowers and handing a flower out to everyone I passed. At least I made people smile.... and I don't remember any of it.

In all seriousness though, in Coz, you pay for the nice beach and facilities along with the good food and drinks. Anything north of $60 there is too much to me. In Cayman, we go to Seven Mile and do our own thing. I never understood why anyone would want to do an AI there ($90+ pp). Doesn't add up.

There are other reasons than just drinking to get a day pass. We like them to see something different, to check out hotels for future travel, to get away from the crowds on the ship, to enjoy the beach, to use the water sports, etc.

The problem with this comment is that by going to an AI during a cruise, in all likelihood you will encounter more of the ships passengers at the AI than if you stayed on the ship. Most ships are like ghost towns on port days. Seems that staying on board would keep you away from the crowds. :D

The problem with this comment is that by going to an AI during a cruise, in all likelihood you will encounter more of the ships passengers at the AI than if you stayed on the ship. Most ships are like ghost towns on port days. Seems that staying on board would keep you away from the crowds. :D

Might be true in some ports but the OP is talking about Nassau. In Nassau, many people stay on the ship. :)

Agreed- we look forward to the beautiful beaches and facilities more than we do to yet more food and booze.

But the all inclusive is just one day whereas Cheers is being purchased for the entire cruise. If you aren't big drinkers why would you buy something for a week that you won't use? If you drink occasionally then 1 day of drinking at an all-inclusive is a lot better of a deal and you get out of it just what you need. And remember, you can't break down Cheers by the hour since you aren't drinking 24 hours a day and on top of that Cheers is limited to 15 drinks a day so AT BEST you can find out what it costs 15 hours a day and only 1 drink an hour, at that.

I want to purchase the Cheers package now that I've read this. But my husband doesn't drink nor does he drink much coffee. If I could buy just for me it would be done! Oh well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What?! Carnival still makes all adults in a room purchase the drinks package? Are they the only cruiseline to still do this? Maybe you should shop around.

What?! Carnival still makes all adults in a room purchase the drinks package? Are they the only cruiseline to still do this? Maybe you should shop around.

I know, isn't that stupid? That's why we never buy it.
I really like the Carnival product . Unfortunately the problem with Carnival (and for Carnival) is their clientele .

There are enough people who would see it as buy one get one free opportunity ,especially with the recent changes .

Remember this is the cruise line that had to institute the no plastic bottle rule because of smuggling .

but will you remember the cruise.......;)